iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using Modified Quartersawing Method on Pine.

Started by WDH, August 15, 2020, 08:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylake

That rift sawn sure looks good and with this method of QS it doesn't take much extra time.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

barbender

That came out great, Danny!

WV, as much as I love White Pine, it doesn't have the distinction in grain between the early and latewood like the yellow pines do. We have Red Pine up here, it's very similar in appearance to the yellow pines. I have a whack I want to saw up this way.
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

Danny, I should've asked you before I said anything😁 I know I have a few logs I need to saw up that I aged at about 155 years old (it was hard to count the rings on some of it, 10-15 to the inch, we grow pine like you boys cook barbecue slooooow😁) I think it's really going to look awesome when it's sawn up.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

I'm going to start selling red pine.
I did a test in the spring with some.
Customers went right to it over the white pine .
I think it had to do with the contrasts of the grain.
White pine is plain looking.
I peal the bark on white pine and put it up off the ground for a year and saw them into slabs. It makes the grain pop more and customers like it.
Had a customer stop this morning to buy some pine his wife wants me to save all the blue stain pine for their next project. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

This is the second 8' log from one of those old pine, note the the tight rings

barbender

Only the second stick, and it's too small for you southern guys to mess with quartersawing in the first place😊

WDH

Southside

I could make 4" vertical gran flooring from that log by breaking it down into multiple cants, nothing wrong with 4" wide face QS flooring with rings that tight.  Most of the old stuff around here is in the 2"-3" range.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

The funny thing was, this came off the back of a Federal plantation we were thinning. Nothing special, probably 50 years old. But for some reason they marked 2 of these big old pine where the plantation came into the edge of the stand. I was on the phone right away seeing if they could come home with me, otherwise they would just be 2x4s🤷‍♂️😊

WDH

Quote from: customsawyer on August 16, 2020, 08:11:16 AM
Just a thought. What if you took the top or bottom third and when you turned it up 90° you could drop 4" or a little more and then rotate 180° and do it again. This would give you some rift sawed table legs when you split them in half. They should have very little bow since they are so far from the pith. Just a quick thought when looking at the pictures.
I took Jake up on his suggestion.  These will be kiln dried, squared and planed, and marketed as pine farm table legs.  

customsawyer

About time I get credit for something good for a change.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Cjross73

I tried this today on a not so great log, really happy with the results 

LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

WDH

The vertical grain pattern on pine is something that you do not see much in commercially available lumber.  The 1x's that I sawed dried dead flat in the kiln.  Sawed 1 1/8" rough, and they planed clean on both faces to a full 1".  However, I did get a surprise.  When I sawed the logs, the wood looked fairly bright and fresh, but unbeknownst to me, the ambrosia beetles were already in the log, so as the wood began to dry, they exited stage right, and like Elvis, left the building.  These were some large, older growth logs, so there was heartwood.  Most of the beetle holes are in the sapwood, not the heartwood.  The wood is till good and usable, but the little holes are there.  Lets just call it character. 

ellmoe

Quote from: WDH on September 13, 2020, 07:59:36 PM

I call that birdshot pine and when I have enough , and am so inclined , I will save it and make t&g out of it. It will bring a premium from the right customer.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Bruno of NH

Yes it will 
I have customers that like that stuff.
Danny wouldn t quarter sawn pine make better moulding stock . Meaning mill out better in a moulder less tear out.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!