iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quartersawing

Started by epiphoneprs, April 13, 2009, 09:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epiphoneprs

How do I do it? I have some customers that have asked for it but I'm not sure that I know the best way. Are there any good diagrams that I could see on that process?

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

oakiemac

It all depends on what kind of mill you are running. The type I run and swing mills it is very easy other types are a little differernt. There are a lot of good threads here on the Forum about the subject.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Chico

Just be sure the customer realizes there is a lot of waste in true qtr sawing I think the product makes it worth it in the right instances but a lot of people just don't realize how much they'll lose then it;ll be where did my logs go ::)
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Dan_Shade

I've determined that the waste for decent sized logs (18"+) is mainly the pith and sapwood.  Most folks are happy to quartersaw after you show them that the waste is "less desired".

this is more true for larger logs.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Chico

I agree it's better on larger logs but most people will bring a 12" log and want 2 x10's out of it ;D Mostall the sawyers I know and  the tallies we've all done is you can lose up to 10% on smaller logs and somewhere around 3 to  5% of the total footage of larger logs but like you say of course most is the less desirable woods but when you're opening up to qtr saw you lose a good bit on the first lines of all 4 qtrs plus you lose some on the turns Just according to how you qtr saw and the log itself of course jmo
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

ARKANSAWYER

When I qsaw I produce just as much as when I grade saw.  If the log is 24 dib then I will pull 210 to 230 bdft of lumber from a 8 ft log.  Do not qsaw anything less then 16 inches and try not to make any qsawn boards less then 6 inches wide.  You just do not get much good lumber for all the work.  If the pies will not make at least three 6 inch wide boards I just flop them on the deck and saw them into rift.  Yes I know you can sell 3 inch wide qsawn lumber but it is alot to handle and it does bow alot.

ARKANSAWYER

Chico

I must do it a lil diff but I've always been a little diff ;D I wouldn't saw thru the heart like you did because of the degrade  at least not the full width of the log I might when I saw down i would saw the narrow high grade because of the $ avg and that's where I lose my footage I guess but that's just the diff in sawyers we all learn diff ways to get to the same end not saying anyones wrong just diff  jmo ;D
Chico

epiphoneprs

You guys are awesome on here.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!