iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E1450 Smokes when door open

Started by Facert, December 01, 2013, 04:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facert

I have burned wood in an indoor wood stove for 30 year and this year installed an E1450 OWB.  I have been very happy with the results so far, house is warmer and the wood related dirt is not in the house.  I am surprised how much smoke comes out the door when I have the door open to fill with wood.  I raise the handle and wait at least a minute before opening the door slowly but get what seems like a lot of smoke out of the door. 
Any suggestions or is this common?

thecfarm

Facert,welcome to the forum. I have a Heatmor,OWB, and does the same thing. I always blamed it on due to the fact it has no draft. The fans drive oxygen into the firebox to get the flames going. If the fans did not come on,the fire would or does go just about out. I find out quick,it's a whole differant way to burn wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I am of no help with your problem but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Facert.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

buckgrunt

I have a 2300, which is similar to yours.  I too have smoke that comes out as well, but I notice there is less smoke when I open the bypass door and wait 5 seconds or so prior to opening the firebox door.  Make sure you close the by-pass door after loading wood in the firebox. 

Roger2561

Facert - My E-Classic 1400 does the same thing.  I think it's the nature of these beasts.  I've tried everything from waiting the 15 seconds the manual says to, to waiting for over a minute and smoke still billows out the door.  Other than installing a fan in the stack that will only turn on when the by-pass door opens, I have nothing else to offer other than, Welcome to the forum!  Roger
Roger

baloo75

I have installed my e1400 in the barn to stay nice and dry while loading and the smoke coming out the loading door is my only complaint as it has nowhere to go.  CURIOUS....has anyone tried adding another stack section on the chimney to increase natural draft?  I have 2 sections on mine, which was all that was necessary to get through the roof.  However I know with wood stoves in general you want your chimney higher than the roof peak for draft purposes and that would probably take 2 more sections.  I am thinking of buying one, just to see if there is an improvement.  With a forced draft I never worried about it at the time of purchase, but once the door opens and you lose that feature improving natural draft seems to be the only way to go.

jfaulring

I've leared on my 1450 that the best way to open it up is lifting the bypass handle, wait a little bit, then crack the door open  a couple of inches. That gets some air into the firebox that helps carry the smoke out the bypass door and up the stack.  The biggest thing to watch out for is opening the door right after its coming off a burn cycle; the built up gasses in the firebox want to flash when all that oxygen is introduced. It shook up my wife pretty good the first time it happened to her!

bobby s

I've tried everything on my E2300 and the smoke still pours out the front. I have 3 sections of pipe but don't think it makes things any better.

beenthere

The pipe does have to be pretty warm to create the airflow for good draw.
Often, a good hot fire burning to heat up that pipe is needed. If the wood and coals are just smoldering because of the fire shut down, then there will be smoke coming out the door as there is no way to have the upward draw/draft.
And learning the tricks of the stove is part of the routine.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Northenguy

I fired up my new 1450 yesterday for the first time only but also noticed it smokes when i open the door. If i open the bypass 15 secs when it is in gasification mode and crack the door open a few inches and wait for the fan to start the smoke goes down with the draft of warn air, when its idling it smokes no mather what i do when i open the door.
- Central Boiler E-classic 1450

Thank You Sponsors!