iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

066 mag crankcase

Started by 421Altered, November 08, 2020, 09:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

421Altered

I've got an 066 Mag that I want to rebuild, however, I discovered the pto side case is broken.  I have found a crankcase for a ms660, 066, according to the add for sale.  However, I don't know anything about the quality of it, or if it would work with my 1996 066.  The add says it's made in Italy.  Does anyone know if this would work with my larger diameter crank? 

Mad Professor

At some point stihl changed the crank and crankcase.

There should be service bulletin on this but I don't have it.  I'd measure up your cases and crank and go to the stihl dealer with case serial #

Mad Professor

Change came in 1996

at serial # X 33 917 065 (02.1996),

You can tell early from late by measuring flywheel side seal

15 X 22 X 4 is later seal, early is 13.5 X 20 X 4

Also I believe early flywheel is aluminum, later is poly 

421Altered

Thanks for the info.  Are stihl 066 magnum cases still available from Stihl?

Mad Professor

1122 020 2113  later case same as 660

1122 020 2102 early case

Call your Stihl dealer

ZeroJunk

I wouldn't bet any money that the " made in Italy" case would fit the other case half. There are some other versions that don't show up on the IPL as well. The poly flywheel with the three legged coil case for instance. There are plenty of used 066 cases out there that would not be a gamble.

421Altered

Thank you Mad and Professor for that great info!

421Altered

ZeroJunk

Well, I think I misunderstood what you are wanting to do.  I was thinking about just replacing the one case half . I think, which is dangerous, that the round top versions of the 066 and MS660 are the same.
The older flat top versions are different and at least one year of the flat top had a poly flywheel. I had one and I think Holmen has one. I sold mine because I have never seen one of those ignitions for sale.

But, if you have a round top version you should be safe whether it is an 066 or a MS660.

421Altered

Zero, Thanks for the update.  I  called my local Stihl dealer today, and they said Stihl says they are out of stock.  The price they quoted was $350.00, and they said that was for a complete, 2 sides case, bare.  But, alas, doesn't look like Stihl will be getting any anytime soon.  I'm just going to see if I can repair it with a product call Belzona, I think that's it.  It's an industrial strength similiar to liquid steel.  I used it to repair my drag race third member.  It has held up through 5 seasons of racing!

421Altered

Also, my Stihl dealer said the 066M and the ms 660 shared the same case part number.

421Altered

That's later case 066M and ms660 are the same.  As Mad Professor said.

Mad Professor

What part of case is bad?

An option is find good used case pair, clean up and have powder coated.

421Altered

It's broken on the clutch side between the rear av mount and the cutout for the chain brake band.  It's broken all the way through that piece.  It was like that when I got it, so, I don't know what happened to it, unless it got dropped somehow.

donbj

Been following this thread with interest. Curious as to the case repair. I googled the Belzona you mentioned and it looks like an interesting product to re-bond the case on my 2100. Would be a project for sure! Thanks for this info.

Good luck with your repair.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Thank You Sponsors!