iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Framing Classes question

Started by lippy667, November 13, 2019, 11:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lippy667

I am looking to take a Timber Framing class this spring in Michigan prior to tackling a cabin I want to build as I have never done timber framing.  One of the few places I have found in the area that has a workshop is Tillers International in Scotts, Michigan.  Has anyone been to one of their classes?  I see the instructor is from the Timber Framers Guild - Tom Nehil, and Chris Newman, so I assume it should be a good class.  They don't have much info online though other than a very broad overview.  Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks, any info is appreciated.  It's only a couple hour drive so it would be about perfect.  I have been reading lots of books, but I imagine the hands on instruction will be worth every penny.

My wife also wants to go there for their draft horse classes, even though she only has a pony that pulls.

Jim_Rogers

I know Tom and Chris personally and they are great men to learn from.

Although, I have never taken their class, it would be well worth it.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

MSU_Keith

I attended the Sept 2018 course and very much enjoyed it.  It is hands on from hour 1 - the frame we cut was an interesting and challenging design that included all the different joint types you could wish for.  Tom and Chris cover everything from from engineering and timber grading to hands on layout and joint cutting to raising.  We did not have enough time to completely raise the frame we cut but were very close by Sunday. Another nice aspect is everything starts with hand tools but progresses to the mortisers and power saws later in the week so you experience the opportunity/cost of hand cut vs time savings of powerized joint cutting.

Lots of cool timber frames onsite cut by the classes and instructors -  the blacksmith shop and the museum are notible examples.  Ask about staying in a room on site; there are a few available in the main house.

Overall highly recommended.

MSU_Keith

Oh and welcome to the Forestry Forum Lippy!

PRC

Lippy, I'm also in the Mitten.  Can you share information on the class?  I'd also be interested in attending.  

I apologize...I see you already shared it.
I have no idea what I'm doing, but if I keep reading and making mistakes, I just might get somewhere.

Thank You Sponsors!