iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mechanical Grapple

Started by gasman1075, January 20, 2020, 11:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman1075

I am trying to work smart not hard in my old age so this is what I ordered today for Spring delivery. Has anyone used one yet ? Pros / cons ? For me its not handling brush so much as getting the log up at a comfortable height and bucking it up near the wood splitter. Its 1/3 of the cost of a hydraulic grapple for my JD

Thanks I am interested in your opinions and experiences. 

BC-4200 Brush Crusher for small John Deere loaders | Westendorf
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

doc henderson

looks like good engineering.  i have a hydraulic grapple, but I may recommend this for my brother who has a JD compact tractor.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

47sawdust

I've tried to use the tractor to elevate logs to a comfortable height for cutting firewood but I wasn't happy with the results.I spent too much time on/off the tractor moving back and forth as I cut to maintain balance on the loader arms.For me their was no advantage.
Currently I use a small log deck that is at a comfortable height.I load the logs with the tractor and roll them forward into a sacrificial cutting trough,cut to desired length,roll the rounds off and roll another log into the trough.The deck is set on a slight incline so gravity is my friend.
I seem to continually tweak my system,hope I get it right before I croak.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

hedgerow

I probably buck 90 plus percent of my firewood with a skid loader and a grapple. That being said we always have two people one runs the skid loader and one runs the saw. Works great. If I was bucking by myself I would build a bucking table load the logs on there and saw away and have one big enough to hold the rounds and have the splitter next to the bucking table. I did see the one you are looking at a farm show this winter. I think on a compact it would be ok but I think you would sure miss not having a cylinder to clamp the jaws. Normally Westendorf builds pretty good equipment. 

Nebraska

Looks lit it woyld workm nice for that. It's built about 30 miles from here, I'd like to see one up close, should be doable...

york

Like the looks of this grapple-I have the frostbite on my JD,but am looking for small grapple for my Kubota...

Only way to buck logs....
Albert

Wood Shed

I sure like the looks of that for cleaning up tree tops and brush.  Would work very well on my CUT without the hassle (and expense) of adding a third hydraulic function.  Great idea.  Will stick with the old stuff for the heavy work.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

gasman1075

After looking around some more I put the purchase on hold. I called Westendorf and asked for numbers of people who have actually purchased it and are using it. I am re looking at a root grapple Frontier my dealer has as well. 

Crusarius

If you do end up getting it I would be very interested in an in depth report. I have been eyeing them for many years. Just have not been able to push myself over the buy it now hump.

Wood Shed

gasman1075,

Have you looked at artillian.com for hydraulic grapples?  Then resolve the third hydraulic function problem most of us run into unless you have a very new well engineered tractor.  The tractorbynet site has lots of info on grapples of various sizes and operator experience.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Wood Shed

Should have said TractorByNet site.  Wow the modify button works great, very few sites can do that.

stavebuyer

I like it and think it would be very useful for many things besides blocking logs. I may look into one myself. I am currently waiting on delivery of a new Westendorf loader for my NH T1520. For a small tractor handling firewood logs I would be tempted to opt for a 3-pt hitch attachment on the rear for the increased lift capacity and reduced wear on the tractor front end. 

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

gasman1075

Well after much hemming and hawing I ordered the mechanical grapple. I did look at Artillian and add the 3rd function but this would be much less and less work. The clincher was Josh Westendorf ( the founders great grandson ) called me himself and although no one around my next of the woods has one yet I will be the first. He was very confident that I would be happy with it for what I want to do. It arrives in 10-14 days. I ordered it from my local JD dealer and delivered to them its about $1225. And since we aren't getting any snow or winter it seems like I might as well take my snowblower off and put the FEL back on and start bucking firewood. My neighbor just had a triple bypass so we can use it down at his place as well. I will document and report back 

Thanks for your help. Don't tell the boss. Its painted green so it may not get noticed. 

jmur1

Easy does it

hedgerow

Gasman1075  Keep us posted on how the new toy works out. 

LeeB

I'm very strongly considering one also and have been communication with them also. Some hands on reviews would be wonderful. The larger size to fit my JD 5410 will also fit the JD 3032 with the addition of two buttons in already existing holes so it can be used on both tractors. That's a big plus to me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

gasman1075

I do not have it yet but hopefully Saturday or early next week. I will try and document as much as possible. Its just me here so I am not sure how to take pictures of it in operation. 

1countryboy

This mechanical grapple looks ok...........but, very light.  If you are going to do anything that resembles heavy work.  NO>  I had an experience with Westendorf Company a few years ago.  I bought one of their loader buckets at the National Farm Machinery Show in KY.  The prongs on the loader broke loading manure and bales.  When I questioned them at the show the next year.  Mr. Westendorf 3 told me "you farmers abuse equipment".   I found out the steel they were using would not stand up to "farm use".  You will get what you pay for!  

Check this out. I have the grapples attached to regular bucket, but am looking at the rock bucket with the grapple. 

https://shoule.com.au/assets/files/SHoule%20Catalogue.pdf

this company makes the best.  Not inexpensive, but you will NOT break it.  They will be at the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville, Ky. Feb 12-15. That is my experience and I bought both.  
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

Magicman

They also offer a heavier duty unit LINK which is probably what LeeB was referring to. 

They only list skid steer attachment but I have bushhog attachment.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

The BC-4255 is the larger unit. I think they configure it for different tractor attachments.

stavebuyer

Quote from: 1countryboy on February 07, 2020, 09:34:51 PM
This mechanical grapple looks ok...........but, very light.  If you are going to do anything that resembles heavy work.  NO>  I had an experience with Westendorf Company a few years ago.  I bought one of their loader buckets at the National Farm Machinery Show in KY.  The prongs on the loader broke loading manure and bales.  When I questioned them at the show the next year.  Mr. Westendorf 3 told me "you farmers abuse equipment".   I found out the steel they were using would not stand up to "farm use".  You will get what you pay for!  

Check this out. I have the grapples attached to regular bucket, but am looking at the rock bucket with the grapple.

https://shoule.com.au/assets/files/SHoule%20Catalogue.pdf

this company makes the best.  Not inexpensive, but you will NOT break it.  They will be at the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville, Ky. Feb 12-15. That is my experience and I bought both.  
The "very light" is exactly the feature that makes it especially useful for the size tractor its intended for. No extra hydraulic circuits needed and the light weight leaves some of the limited lifting capacity of a compact tractor available for the item being lifted.

1countryboy

I agree with you.  Light!  just remember those "light" utility tractors and do not exceed the capacity.   You and I both know we push the limits. :D :D.   Then bad things happen FAST>
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

W5E2J

I know i am a bit late in responding. I bought one a few years ago for my Century/ Branson. Do not let the "light" weight fool you. These are tough units. They are incredible for moving bus brush and picking up logs for sawing.  As you become more comfortable with their use you will be surprised at the things you can do. A friend and I were chipping a bunch of saplings 2-6" in diameter and 20+ feet long. I could pick the entire tree up with the grapple and position it so the chipper could grab it.  Saved a lot of saw work and manual lifting.

To be honest there is one downside in my view, they are a pain to put on as the quick attachment frame on the loader has to be removed.. It is not a hard job but takes about 30 to 45 minutes to install. So I try to plan my work when I can leave the grapples on for a while.  W. Jones

farmfromkansas

I have an old John Deere I bought used 40 plus years ago, and thought it was old.  Mine had it's 50th birthday last year.  But Wood Shed has me beat, I never could get the clutch to catch hold on my Dad's old G.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!