iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sublimes Central Boiler 760HDX

Started by sublime68charger, December 01, 2020, 02:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sublime68charger

some storm damage trees cleaned up and added to my outside blend in pallet,  The kids did the stacking so its not the best job in the world by far but I didn't have to move the wood had them due I just sawed it into blocks.

sublime68charger

just some graphs of the boiler 1 with good dry wood and another with punky iffy wood at best.

PoginyHill

You can definitely see the difference in fan run times and cooler burn with less than ideal wood. I did a similar thing my first year with the older Classic Edge 750 - spent the summer installing that and building my woodshed - not on firewood. So that first winter burnt dead, but unseasoned fir mostly. Fan ran a lot and didn't get above 1000F very often. Much better wood now and the performance shows it. We are in a warm spell, but for a typical 10-25F winter day, my fan will run about 6 hrs or so in 24hrs. Reaction chamber normally get between 1200 and 1400F each cycle.

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

sublime68charger

PoingyHill you are correct.

The iffy stuff sure will burn but it dont like to burn at a great rate.  I'm waiting for the cold to get here and then I'll put the good wood to it and let it take off and go!  Till then I'll keep adding in my punky Iffy stuff as best I can it will burn and make heat just not great at it.  I'm hoping though I can make it threw winter with out going threw my whole wood shed of wood like last year and then this spring I'm gonna stack it back full again and it will have all summer to dry and be all good wood for next year and I wont have to be scrambling like I was this year.  I want to build a bigger and better wood shed but I need to make sure i have wood cut first and ready before I use the time I have to build a better wood shed.  I only have so much free time and energy to get stuff done.  
Time/Money/Ambition is what it take to make things happen I ususally only have 1 of the 3 and thats a hard way to get projects done.
When I have the Time I don't have the Money to buy what I need or the Ambition to due what I want.
When I have the Money I don't have the Time or the Ambition to go and get what I need.
When I have the Ambition well then the Time or Money don't matter its a make it Happen somehow and go with the plan!

beenthere

Quoteand then this spring I'm gonna stack it back full again and it will have all summer to dry and be all good wood for next year and I wont have to be scrambling like I was this year.

Wood cut in the spring will be good to burn a year and more after this spring. Oak add another year to be seasoned good for burning.
Ash good after 9-12 months of seasoning..

Get at least one year (better if two, and great if three) years ahead. Often could tell a remarkable difference in heat from the wood burner between the two year seasoned and the three year seasoned. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Andries

Good advice beenthere, we find the same up here.
Splitting fine speeds up the drying time too and if you've got other people firing up the stove or boiler, they have an easier time of it. A 16" half of bur oak is a bit much for a 12 year old GD.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

sublime68charger

BeenThere and Andries

95% of the wood I cut up has either been standing dead and fell over or was a tree top that was dropped 6 years and been on the ground so its all been dead wood for a few years heck some of it is on the iffy side of even being what I would consider good wood.  I'm well ahead of where I was this last year on wood usage and hoping to get even farther ahead this winter spring on my wood pile storage.  I want to build another Wood shed where my outside wood pile is at and be able to get storage for wood 2 years out right at the boiler sight and then have year 3 out in the woods in various piles on pallets that get brought to the wood lot after its been out in the woods stacked and split and drying for over a year.  

sublime68charger

Picture of the back of the boiler with half the turbolaters plugged up and then you take them out and clean up where they go as best you can and put them back in.  If they dont' want to go back in easy you put them on the cement find a board the same length and stop them a bit to flatten them out and they go back into there sport alot better.

Left is Clean Right is clogged in first Pic.

PoginyHill

I don't have nearly the build-up you show in your heat exchanger. I don't have turbulators - could that be the difference? Have you ever left out one or two and see if you get the same build-up?
I clean mine once per week. Normally just a light coating of powder on the metal that comes off with a wire brush. Occasionally I'll scrape down to clean metal, but that's normally a couple times per heating season.
I had wondered if retrofitting mine with turbulators would increase the efficiency at all.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

sublime68charger

Quote from: PoginyHill on January 03, 2022, 12:13:33 PM
I don't have nearly the build-up you show in your heat exchanger. I don't have turbulators - could that be the difference? Have you ever left out one or two and see if you get the same build-up?
I clean mine once per week. Normally just a light coating of powder on the metal that comes off with a wire brush. Occasionally I'll scrape down to clean metal, but that's normally a couple times per heating season.
I had wondered if retrofitting mine with turbulators would increase the efficiency at all.
when burning punky/wet wood it builds up faster I have found out.  I have run for a day or 2 with some of them pulled out.  when I checked it pretty plugged up and had on nicer clothes and didn't want to clean it out right then and there.  
I find when I can't get a High on the burn cycle its time to clean the tubrolaters out.
I clean them 1 time a month check them every other week.  Clean the reaction chamber 1 time a week.  I have thought about just pulling them all out and just running without them.  
I just cleaned them Saturday and this week temp is around 0.  So the stove is running a bit more.  Getting more High time on the burn cycles which means its burning clean more than not.
Its a learning to read your graph and what the burn times are looking like. 
I have had it run for a few days' and only getting to low or medium on the % still making heat for the water and the wood was iffy at best so thinking I didn't have the BTU in the wood to make the heat.  It then seems to build up faster,  a round cycle burn bad wood makes more smoke builds up on the exchanger more not letting the air flow which then causes more build up faster etc .......

Next year I hope to have all my wood at least be split and drying for the summer.  This year not so much.  I have good dry wood that is what I'm running now with it being colder and I don't want to have to spend time out there cleaning the darn stove when its cold.  When its warmer I'll burn the iffy stuff and if I have to clean the stove more cause the wood is suspect its not so bad.

If I burn all my good stuff then I'll have to be cutting more to just make it threw the winter.
the circle of life when running a wood boiler I guess.

I may try running with out them as they was a pain to get put back in but then found that make them flatter trick and they went in alot better this last time.

PoginyHill

Just for fun, I decided to calculate the average BTU output of my Classic Edge 750 for one cycle. The cycle ran for 20mins to raise the 330gal of water 15deg. A BTU is the heat required to raise 1lb of water 1deg F. So the math works out to be 124,000 BTU/hr.

Some caveats: There was heat demand in the house during that cycle, so the heat input was more than simply raising the water temp. And the first two minutes of time were getting the fire "going" again.

Central boiler claims a 12-hr average output of about 150,000 BTU/hr with a max of 245,000 (per EPA tests). I'd say that I'm getting about those numbers with my unit given the parameters I mentioned.

sublime68charger

thanks for the sharing your math numbers.  I know I could have probaly gotten by with a 560HDX but having the bigger stove gives me more leeway on things.

I have idea's of maybe adding a green house onto my little workshop and that would take some heat to keep that warm for plants to grow.

sublime68charger

Been busy getting some wood cut of for this years run.  I like my little wood cutting deck I have and then the Loggin ATV I have set up.

r>

sublime68charger

Wood shed is full for the year,  My light duty hauling ATV,  Honda 200sx and trailer.  fill trailer just level and hope and pray the ATV has the power and traction to make the hill climb.

Thank You Sponsors!