HM122 which engine ?

Started by yukoneer, January 10, 2022, 08:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukoneer

I am considering to buy a HM122, if I can get it shipped to the Yukon @ a reasonable rate. A key question is - which engine shall I go with? My logs mainly will be spruce around 15" and poplar maybe 20" max. Is it worthwhile to go with the bigger engine or will I just waste gasoline?  I will run the mill a few days a year only - if I need boards to fix up or enhance my cabin.

WDH

Get the biggest engine that you can.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

Welcome! I doubt if you will notice enough difference in fuel consumption to worry about, the larger engine won't have to work as hard. With infrequent use 91 octane is a must and add a fuel stabilizer to minimize headaches.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rusticretreater

That's always the thinking.  I only need to make some small cuts.  Then one day you see something or someone gives you a big ol' hunk of wood that would make special boards and you will wish you had that extra 2.5 HP.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

slider32

I have the 122 7hp.  I have not had any issues with the amount of power.  Keep the blades sharp and don't force it and it will cut anything you throw at it.