iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WDH Danny Hamsley

Started by Jeff, September 22, 2022, 09:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Several things that really make you think! How special people are like Danny!! All the examples of a guy with a wealth of knowledge that would help or respond to anyone. People really remember people like this!!! There are so many people that won't respond or want to give information to a individual by a call or personal message. Pretty special tree Southside! Custom really makes you think of how important safety is even if there is something your doing that maybe you shouldn't. 

flatrock58

I met Danny at my first Sawmill get together at Jakes about 6 years ago.  He was one of those people that you instantly feel at ease with, like an old friend.  I so enjoyed talking with him at later sawmill get togethers about trees and sawing.  I texted him before I bought a Grizzly planer, like his, for advice and he was always quick to help out.  He was a good friend to many and such a wealth of knowledge.  He will be missed by all.  RIP WDH.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

SwampDonkey

Firefighter ,I liked the video clip in that article. No better man to ask about managing and marketing southern timber. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

I had heard a legend form the FF has passed. I just found out and am deeply sorrowed. I Met Danny at my 1st Pig Roast a few years ago a gentleman to talk with. 
RIP Danny.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

pineywoods

I am at a complete loss for words. Danny will be sorely missed by us and other places as well. Danny's former employer has extensive holdings in north Louisiana and south arkansas where he had a lot of friends. I have been honored by a visit during one of his trips to this area. YH, you just solved a problem for me. There is a big persimon log in my pile that I was saving for Danny. Rolling it out in the woods to go back to nature sounds like a fitting idea.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Andries

Quote from: customsawyer on September 24, 2022, 08:05:38 AMIf y'all have any pictures of Danny that you think are special would you please email them to Danny's email. His family . . . are putting together a slide show . . . .
These are the photos that I found on an old hard drive, and sent to his eMail address.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

customsawyer

For those that can't find Danny's email
wdhamsley@windstream.net
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Southside

Folks, I am stepping in as an admin here. We all have questions about what happened, nobody will ever know for certain, we now know Danny suffered a freak accident doing what he truly loved to do. That's all we need to know. There is nothing that can change what happened. We all know the dangers of our chosen profession and hobbies and have to always remain vigilant, sometimes however that isn't enough, it appears this was one of those times, and there is nothing you can do about it. All one can really do is live life the way Danny did by giving of himself to all of us and many more. 

Please don't send PM messages to members who you think may have more information asking for details. I am posting this as I was asked politely to do so. Everyone is hurting, let's be respectful of his friends, family, and most of all Danny himself, together we need to find the path forward. 

Last night I was able to email photos of Danny to his email address and received a response from the family today thanking me for it. They do appreciate sharing your memories. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks beenthere.  I looked for that yesterday and didn't find it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

Thank you for posting, Beenthere.  
Caveman

JJ

I see this couple of days ago, but am at a loss as I am sure are everybody who knew Danny, even if only through the Foresty Forum.   I have never met him in person, but I greatly appreciated his postings of FF and his kind humor. :'( 

JJ

Jim_Rogers

At Jake's last gathering, after I had said my good byes to everyone around the bon fire, I was walking away to head back to my motel, and Danny came up to me to say good bye.
I don't remember much of the conversation other that he wanted to say good bye.
To his family and his forestry forum family, I say sorry for your loss.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

terry f

Just seen this, so sorry, so sad 

47sawdust

Looking back at Danny's old posts and their responses makes me realize what a wonderful person this man was.To all who knew him it is a hard loss.
Top shelf man, there.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Mfrost459

My heart is truly saddened. Danny was a man like no other. I met him on my first visit to Jake's in 2019. I had a lot of questions and he answered all of them. He even suggested some books I could read to help with tree identification. This year when I saw him at Jake's it was like seeing and old friend of a lifetime. Danny had some great stories too. Sitting around the bonfire and listening to Danny and Jake was the highlight of my trip. My heart goes out to his family.  I know this is a hard time for all. Danny will be remembered and missed by us all!! 
Wood-Mizer LT50 Wide 2021 - LT-40 - 1992
EG-200 board Edger - New Holland Skilsteer - Kubota SVL95-2 skidsteer
Nyle L53 Kiln -  Nyle L200S Container Kiln

Have a great day milling!

customsawyer

Was just going back through some old PMs that Danny and I had sent back over the years. Yes I still go back and read some I received from Tom too. They are both giants among men. Their ability to share knowledge and keep it light and funny at the same time was priceless.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caveman

I do the same thing, but with their posts.  I think WDH had 1505 pages that he had posted on the FF.  On days when I have been laid up sick, I'd go back and read Tom's posts from the beginning.  Those are treasures.  I was reading some of Danny's the night before last from the beginning, 10/1/2006. His dendrology explanations have helped me train some really good forestry teams over the years.  Coincidently, Danny joined the FF on my youngest daughter's 2nd birthday.  She is on the team going to Indy for National FFA Forestry this year.
We had a several hours long practice this afternoon with the team that was scheduled to stop by Danny's on 10/22.  He was always in teaching mode.  I recall the first time I showed up to his place.  After the greetings, he started quizzing me on tree names, both common and Latin.  I was relieved to have passed the first test.
Caveman

customsawyer

There was lots to choose from. I liked it simple. I did like the quote at the end.

"Danny Boy" | GENTRI Covers - YouTube
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

scsmith42

Well done, Jake.

Very well done.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Chuck White

What a wonderful send-off Jake.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

boonesyard

Wow,,, not a dry eye in the house.

Very nice Jake
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

SawyerTed

Well if that don't jerk you out of your frame nothing will.   

Jake, that's a fine post to remember Danny!  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!