iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3 point carry all project

Started by upnut, October 17, 2022, 05:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnut

Putting the finishing touches on a fun project...

Paint and wood added...

Will add side gates, saw holders, etc. Any suggestions welcome!

Tractor cab did come off, didn't like sitting in a steel box with limited vision. Summertime use is great!

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Wlmedley

That should be pretty handy.Never enough room on a tractor to haul your stuff.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

dad

Excellent so far. I cannot wait to see the sides and accessories for it too. Please more pictures as you add things. I would offer a suggestion, but I've got the imagination of a rock.... 

doc henderson

If it will store outside on concrete or in grass/dirt, you might put sacrificial, or pressure treated lumber in the bottom C channel to rest on the ground and keep the metal up off the moisture a little.  keep the paint on the metal and keep from scarring up you concrete.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

TW

The good part:
You did a very good job on the carry all.

The bad part:
What worries me is the missing cab on the tractor. Tipping over the tractor in the woods is such a common incident that a very significant portion of those who make their own firewood do it once or even twice in a lifetime. As a rule of thumb those who have a cab or a well designed roll bar survive with bruises or at worst a broken arm or rib or collarbone that heals in time for the next firewood season while those who don't have a cab or a good roll bar either end up in wheelchair or dead.
Be careful.

Some further ideas:
Another thing worth thinking about is if yoy can come up with a system to easily disconnect the front loader. With the front loader in place you need plenty of room between trees to turn the tractor. You also end up with too much weight on the front wheels which really destroys the terrain capability of the tractor. I always leave the frontloader at home when heading for the woods with my Massey-Ferguson 165.
Once I was in a hurry and didn't bother to disconnect the front loader and we worked hard two men for a day to get the tractor out of there. We only just managed. A few days later the ice started breaking up. We came very close to having to leave the tractor in the woods until spring and having to rent a barge to bring it home.

upnut

Thanks all! 

TW- I appreciate your concern, too often we have a neighbor or acquaintance injured or worse working on firewood. We use extreme caution working in the woods. Being retired I have the option of deciding when, where and how the tractor is used. It hasn't entered "little princess" status yet, but close... :D

Scott B.

stanwelch

Scott,  good job on your project. I see where it can be used for many tasks.  
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

upnut

Maiden voyage! Load it up with heavy hard maple and see what happens...

<b

So far so good, will add accessories as opportunity arises.

Scott B.>

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hilltop366

Looks nice.

I can remember my grandfather making one for his Ford tractor, he made it a bit different. With the draw bar on the tractor he would take two 4" poles and set them over the draw bar and under the rear axel (closer together at the axel and out near the lift arm at the draw bar) then would nail in some pieces cross ways and add the floor, back and sides.

Besides only costing a few boards and a hand full of nails the handy part is when he got out in the woods near where he wanted to cut trees he would back up to a high spot and lower the rear draw bar and drive ahead leaving the carry all behind with his tools, saw and chains in it then haul the logs out with the drawbar and chain. When ready to go back home you just had to back under the poles and raise the drawbar.

charles mann

Very nice setup. Iv seen firewood carriers out of ibc totes with the plastic rmvd and i just split some firewood and put it in 3 wooden crates that my 46" big tck tires came in. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

gspren

I like that it's a nice simple design. I should build a smaller version for my BX Kubota, I tend to make things sturdier than needed but will need to go as light as possible since I'm not going on a heavy tractor.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

upnut

Thanks all! You can see the pattern we followed in the background of this pic. Dad bought it at auction many years ago for the princely sum of $2.00, it sat in the fencerow several years when he went to antique Allis-Chalmers tractors. My brother rescued it and has used it mightily ever since. Hope mine lasts as long...

Scott B.

upnut

update: Added a couple plywood chainsaw scabbards, an old milkcrate basket for toolbox and gas/oil, and an old stake pocket to hang chains on. Still a work in progress....

Scott B.

thecfarm

You will keep coming up with ideas that will work for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bluthum

I've used a carry all for most of my firewood transport for years. It's just a store bought rusty pallet lift with a treated wood base. On that I have removeable spaced slat side board panels like farmers once used to haul live stock in a pickup bed. Cedar, oak, whatever boards are handy. It's a very third world looking set up guaranteed to impress no one with it's appearances.

The side boards are continually replaced or patched up as they often get caught on trees as I maneuver and traverse the woods, my focus is on the bigger picture of staying alive.

One of my favorite features is you can back right up to huge chunks of firewood and load with minimal or no lifting. Most of my wood harvesting is 1/4 mile or less from the house so small loads are practical. Small stuff that doesn't need splitting goes directly from the lift to the porch, minimal handling  is great for an old guy.

Thank You Sponsors!