iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does concrete floor need protection in a DH kiln?

Started by blackhawk, October 19, 2022, 10:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhawk

I am building my DH kiln currently.  I poured a monolithic 4" thick insulated concrete pad with plastic installed beneath the slab.  I was just wondering if the moisture pulled out of the lumber would eat away at my concrete floor inside the kiln over time?  If so, what is the best sealer or epoxy coating to use to protect it?

Thanks
Lucas 7-23 with slabber. Nyle L53 kiln. Shopbot CNC 48x96

boonesyard

No, heat and moisture evac will not deteriorate your concrete. What is more likely to affect the concrete are the tannins that some woods produce (cedar, oak, walnut, cherry) that will stain the concrete. Tannin staining will penetrate the pores in the concrete and is very difficult to remove unless it is sealed. Concrete is easily sealed using a pump sprayer. There are many products that work well such as Tenon Cure and Seal and BASF Kure-N-Seal, just a couple examples.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

K-Guy

Tannic acid from the lumber will slowly degrade it over time. It will show as a white powder on the floor and take years to show real damage.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

I have tried lots of things, epoxy coatings, garage floor paint, etc.  After a few years they just degrade or chip off.  The only thing that I have used that really works for years is the aluminized mobile home roofing paint.  I mix that sliver mess up, pour it on the floor, swish it around with a mop, and it finds any floor to wall leaks, low spots, etc and seals them up.  After a few kiln cycles it cures decently hard.  It's a mess but it's easy to apply and it works.  I have pavers on top of my concrete floor that the runners of the pallets sit on when I load with lumber, so nothing really ever touches the concrete.  While it's curing, I just step on the pavers so I don't get the goop on my shoes.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

K-Guy

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 19, 2022, 12:39:38 PMWhile it's curing, I just step on the pavers so I don't get the goop on my shoes.

Always looking for the easy way!!! smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

blackhawk

Yellowhammer - Do you use something like this Kool Seal product: aluminum paint
Lucas 7-23 with slabber. Nyle L53 kiln. Shopbot CNC 48x96

YellowHammer

Yep, that's the goop.  I glop the stuff on the interior walls, also.  Mix it up, pour it out, slop it around and make sure everything is covered.  Put it on pretty thick, but not too thick or it will takes a long time to cure.  That being said, the more it flows on the floor, the more it will find any cracks and crevices, so I just kind to pour it on the floor and swish it around.  The liquid part will soak into the concrete and seal it forever, the aluminized fiber will settle on top of the concrete and provide a solid protective layer.  It's ugly, it messy, it's nasty and it's permanent.  It works great!

Don't step in it for a few weeks or you'll ruin your shoes.   
YellowHammerisms:

jimbarry

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 19, 2022, 12:39:38 PMI just step on the pavers so I don't get the goop on my shoes.

Practicing what he preaches. Literally taking steps (on pavers) to save steps (cleaning boots).

Thank You Sponsors!