iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood sales, how many cord you do so far?

Started by lynde37avery, September 01, 2014, 08:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

lynde37avery

i will total 55 cord after the next 2 weeks of delivering. i get $220-$260 delivered in my 85 gmc 1 ton.

i am not quiter sure what exactly a face cord is. is that just 8 ft long 1 row stacked up so many feet high? 
Detroit WHAT?

M Cook

A face cord is 8ft long, 4 ft high, 16 inches wide. About 43 cubic ft, stacked up the face of the pile is 32 square ft, that's where the term face cord comes from.

Mike Cook
Mike Cook

beenthere

Mike
It can be any length wood and be a face cord 4' high by 8' long or have a measured 32 sqft of "face".

If as you say, it is 16" wood, then it is a third of a full cord. But if 12" wood, it is 1/4, and if 24" wood, it is 1/2 a cord.   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

In Michigan, Mike's definition of a face cord is correct.  It may not be recognized as a "legal" measure but it's entirely accepted.  The State Of Michigan Dept. of Human Services buys wood by just that definition for heating assistance.  Most people don't know that a "real" cord is 4'X4'X8' not 4'X8X16".
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

M Cook

BeenThere

Your right that a face cord of 16 in. wood is a third of a pulp cord, however if you take an average full cord of pulpwood and cut it up 16 in. and stack it you will only average around 2.5 face cords.  In order to get 3 face cords out of a full cord the wood needs to be log size.   I've often wondered how you know how much 16 in. wood is in a pulp cord when you sell it.  Do you cut up a pulp cord and sell what it yields or do you sell 3 face cords and call that a pulp cord.

Just curious

Mike Cook
Mike Cook

firemedic589

I live in Southern Maryland, I've sold 11.5 full cords so far for the earlier birds. I'm estimating another 15 full cords before the season hits. My prices range per full cord from $150 (SoMd area) to $200 depending on distance to other areas. I know it's not much but I operate a single blade hydraulic splitter and it puts food on the table above my full time job. I can't wait to upgrade to a bigger splitter to increase my sells.

M Cook

Firemedic

Welcome to the forum

We just raised our price from $55 to $60 per face cord delivered within 25 miles.
If you have seasoned wood this winter you could get $70 to $75 per face cord, we are in central lower MI prices are better down state.

Good to hear of your operation, I've always encourage guys with ambition to cut and sell firewood.
With a little effort of cutting in your spare time a person can cut 100-150 face cords a year and sell it as seasoned wood in winter. Makes a nice extra income for a family, plus it's a good workout without health club dues.

Good luck

Mike Cook
Mike Cook

Firewoodjoe

I've been at $75 for a few weeks and 80 face cord behind still.

M Cook

Firewoodjoe

Is your wood seasoned and is that price delivered?

Mike Cook
Mike Cook

brianJ

Mapleman

I'm still at it!  

I've done 340 full cords so far this year with about 25 left to do, most of those are waiting on customers to tell me they're ready for their deliveries.
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

B.C.C. Lapp

I'm still selling.  Thirteen cords to campers and campgrounds this summer, a bunch of self serve rack sales that I wont ad up to see how many cords  they come to till the end of the year.  The calls from the winter heating wood people are starting.   Gunning for 50 cords sold by Jan.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

B.C.C. Lapp

Well, its a steady rain here, that's okay with me we need it, so today I'm delivering two full cords to a good customer that ordered it a few days ago.     This is why I love having a firewood business, to wet to log but I still have plenty to do.  Getting some machine maintenance done this morning while the rains pretty heavy then delivering after lunch.   That makes about 15 cords plus all the rack sales for me. No complaints here.

B.C.C. Lapp

Well, here we are weeks later and I know I'm still at it although I'm going to run low on dry wood soon.   Good sales week last week, for me any ways. I sold four $25 racks, two pickup loads and two cords.   So far this week i have sold two pickup loads and have an order for a cord to be delivered Sat.  

Building the customer base, that's what its all about.   Got an order today that was a referral from another good customer.  I text the guy that made a referral and told him thanks and $10 off his next cord.   I must be easy to keep happy,,,,,but this is fun. Always has been. 8)

GRANITEstateMP

96 full cords delivered so far this year. Most of my regular customers are all set. I think I've got 6-8 more processor cords due, and 20ish more cords of the bigger wood that won't fit the processor. The big stuff is split 20-22in for bigger, ugly (like me) stoves ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Polish Hammer1

I'm at about 25-30
Full cords down from previous years but the first frost hit this morning it will pick up fast hardwood prices are are about 70-80 a face cord in northeast Wisconsin 

beenthere

What is the length of the wood in those face cords? just curious..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

B.C.C. Lapp

I got very lucky and bought 4 tri axle loads of cherry poles.   They were in the wood yard of a guy that moved away back in May.  They have been stacked and sitting in the sun all summer.   I started splitting some yesterday and they are pretty dry.   Noticed how light the rounds were right off.   I'm splitting and stacking as fast as I can.   I'm hoping I can sell this stuff by mid Nov.  and that's a good thing because I'm already running low on dry wood.   I pulled my ads weeks ago and the phone is still ringing from word of mouth customers.    
I don't know who I'm kidding cause I cant keep up with the equipment i have but at the same time I hate to spend money right now.   But I realize I got to.    I'm not usually so reluctant about dept but things are a little worrisome  these days. 

Spike60

If you're at capacity and selling all the wood you can produce, that's certainly not a bad thing. I think your wise to be cautious about making an investment because there's an old saying; "growth eats cash". You can always make a move when the numbers are right and a good deal comes along and you feel more comfortable with it. Better than a quick decision just because people are calling. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

rusticretreater

Keep crackin and stackin the best you can.  Make serious decisions on equipment and things in the off season where you aren't feeling the pressure.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

B.C.C. Lapp

I'm taking a day off from logging today to get some wood split and stacked.     Its hard to understand selling firewood but I got no calls at all for about ten days.   Then all of a sudden I sold 4 cords in 5 days.   Feast or famine I guess.  I'll take it as it comes and as for now I better get busy.  Love staying home for an easy day cracken and stacking.

woodrat

I just bought the firewood biz about three weeks ago, and most of the customers were already stocked up, but I've still sold 8 cords from the new business, three from my own land, have orders for three more, plus trading a couple for some mechanical work on my Honda. Have about 24 cords worth of logs I'm working on right now, and another truck load coming soon. Plugging along. 
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
Wallenstein FX 65 logging winch
Husky 61, 272XP, 372XP, 346XP, 353
Stihl 036, 046 with Lewis Winch
78 Chevy C30 dump truck, 80 Ford F350 4x4
35 ton firewood splitter
Eastonmade 22-28 splitter and conveyor
and ...lots of other junk...

GRANITEstateMP

Cord 122 rolled out of the yard Monday. I have a few more on order, but most of my list is DONE
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Spike60

How do you manage the operation so your list even approaches "done"? Especially this early in the season. The firewood guys who come in my store for supplies complain that their lists just keep getting longer. lol

I do know one person who does a fixed amount of wood every year, and when he's done, he's done. And he likes his "done" to happen by Thanksgiving before real winter weather sets in. Doesn't want to be running wood in the snow and single digit temps all winter long.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!