iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Almost pulled the trigger……just could not do it.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 03, 2014, 06:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Quote from: customsawyer on September 04, 2014, 03:15:31 AM
When you look at more back hoes take a look at the ones with the quick coupler on the front. Mine will lift about 8000 lbs.

+1.  My Cat 420DiT is good for around 8K lbs, and it's been a great machine.  The "D" model is the latest version that you can get w/o the Tier3 or 4 emissions.  The Integrated Toolchanger (ie quick coupler) will lift about 15% more than a non IT machine.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Tom L

would it make sense to keep your kubota and put some money in it, keep it as a tractor loader that it is intended to be, then get another machine like a forklift to lift logs and loads.

for moving material you can't beat a forklift. they are made for lifting

a backhoe is made for moving dirt. although they do OK moving material , you can get  better capacity and larger load rate with a forklift

for the price of a new machine I am sure you could pick up a used forklift and keep your other machine in top shape for a lot less money.

and then you will have a backup machine if one needs some work and you have material to handle

ely

I will agree that farm equip in no way measures up to industrial equip when you are doing sawmill type work.

rasman57

highleadtimber16

Google 910 K Cat wheel loader. Very good machine. Fuel efficient. Don't have to get out to change bucket. It's nice to sit higher up too. Not sure if it's what you're looking for but all the gravel pits around here either use Cat or John Deere.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

beenthere

Lots of confusion in this thread as to what a backhoe is (BH), and what a front end loader tractor is (FEL). There is a class for TLB (tractor loader backhoe).  ;)

But I'll try to keep up..  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tee

Hey Poston, Be careful with those acclimated cabs. The one on my trackhoe was a big deciding factor in me getting rid of my mill!

barbender

What is that contraption, Poston? A grits server? ;D I use a skid steer around the mill and property, very slick but my second choice would be a TLB ;)
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Went to the Cat House today to look at backhoes. WOW!!! Dump trucks as big as houses!
Looked at a few E models and F models that were trade ins. Some with 3,000 hrs and others with 8,000 hrs.
Some repos that somebody had not taken care of and some were repos that were taken care of. The Cat guy said he'd call me when he had others coming in and even bring it to the farm and drop it off for the day. Good service and nice folks.

Found a pretty nice Backhoe on the way home....needs a little work.....but while I'm making up my mind.....I'm still looking!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sumday

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: sumday on September 04, 2014, 07:51:59 PM
That last ones just getting broke in good

If it had had a cab on it....I'da brought it home.  :D

Dave Shepard

A little work with a cutting torch and that last one would go No. 1 at the scrapyard. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ET

What year is your 555C?  My 555B is a 1988 and has a set of CTI forks and has been able to pick up any log Ive tried. The backhoe is a little loose at the main connections and the main hydraulic cylinder has a leaky seal. But overall it runs and starts ok,  and not too bad on fuel. Just had to put 2 new front tires on recently. Being a 4X4 they were pricey.  Is the "C" larger or smaller than the B?
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

ET, mine is a 94....bought from the railroad.  :D Its getting ready to derail.  ;D

ET

Wow, Id better count my blessings then. Sure hope mine lasts 10 more years.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

yukon cornelius

for a minute I thought you had came and took a pic of my hoe. then I realized that last pic is still nicer than mine!  :D not really but close. I had a ford jubilee with a Sherman hoe on the back. now I have a ratty old 460 ih with a hoe. it aint pretty but it does what I need right now!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

redbeard

Since your on the hunt JCB has really good vision on the loader. Older models are indestructible. Tough machines.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ozarkgem

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Contractor1

I have at 420 it cat backhoe that I would hate to do without. I have the bucket, forks, and a root rake. Very tough machine and the convience of changing implements from the seat. I have another 8 cat backhoes in the fleet at the company. I also own a kubota 56 hp tractor. I use it to mow and run a pole auger. Both are good machines for what they are designed for. Be careful if you are buying a cat backhoe that has over 5000 hrs on it. We are usually changing them out about then. Contractors can be pretty hard on equipment.

mikeb1079

david, will you elaborate on what tasks you use your loader backhoe for?  it will help us tell you how to spend your money better   :D :D 8)

also i'm jealous   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

POSTON WIDEHEAD

With all respect Mike.....I'm the only one who knows how to spend my money. (I know you were kidding) :D :D :D

I use the Backhoe bucket on the back for pulling slabs into a neater pile to be able to pick up more with the forks. I use it for digging holes to bury dead animals etc., drain ditches etc.
The 4-1 bucket on the front is used for loading mulch, scraping roads, grabbing small firewood logs, standing in it to saw limbs off trees, loading sawdust and all kind of stuff.

The forks that attach to the front bucket is used for lifting logs and bundles of lumber. Also for fertilizer pallets.
I have a hole in one fork for a 2 inch ball. I can move trailers around the yard.

Yep....my money will be spent on a backhoe.  :)
Everybody needs a backhoe.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Peter Drouin

Quote from: barbender on September 06, 2014, 01:06:45 AM
Do you have a lot of dead animals?

:D :D :D :D They see the old goat and have a heart attack  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ianab

Quote from: barbender on September 06, 2014, 01:06:45 AM
Do you have a lot of dead animals?

Having just one dead horse laying in your driveway will convince you that you need a backhoe  :-\
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!