iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4* blades

Started by ladylake, December 23, 2012, 04:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylake

For those of you that won't or don't try 4* blades in tough to saw wood you should. Today again I put on a brand new 7* blade that I could watch cut up and down on the first and 2nd cut, took it off and put on a old Simonds sharpened down to less than 1-1/8 inch wide (10 plus sharpenings) that cut way better but was just a bit wavy on a big knot  in wide frozen white oak.  Took that same 7* blade, gave it a little more set and sharpened at 4* then it cut real straight untill it got dull. This is about the 5th time sharpening at less hook resulted in same although the other blades started a 10 *   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Shotgun

How about 4° blades?  In Windows, do "Alt 0176" on your numbers keypad to get the ° .

:christmas:
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

ladylake

Shotgun, your going to have to live with * here, alt0176 seems to do nothing here and it would be to much bother.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

DanG, I just do it the simple way and click on the ° button just below the "C" on "Change Color" above.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

I don't see that button either, I think we all know what* mean on here.  Steve

ladylake

Quote from: ladylake on December 23, 2012, 05:07:44 PM

I don't see that button either, I think we all know what* mean on here and 4* works better in tough wood.  Steve

taylorsmissbeehaven

DanG I just bought some 7* blades to cut some old oak for a fella. Maybe I should have gone with 4s. We shall see next week. Always a day late and a dolla short, Oh well! Merry Christmas to all, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

ladylake

Taylor,  your 38 years old try some 4* before you get much older.  I'd have thought a  7* would have cut better but they didn't.  These 7* blades have a real deep gullet, I've alway said gullet dept doen't mean anything.  Steve

Dave Shepard

4° is my go to for tough sawing. Tried to cut an old, clear maple last month, the 10° left a cut that looked like a roller coaster, the ReSharp 4° cut it perfectly.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

Steve;  Sometime you'll have to explain how you make adjustments on the Cats Claw to sharpen at different hook angles.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Chuck,I'am not steve or as smart as he, but my cats claw has a clamp behind the motor and socket head setscrew that fits in different tapped holes for different hook angles.Always good form to have a machinests protractor head and check the teeth.As the leading edge of the grinding wheel wears you will tend to get less hook. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ohio_Bill

Steve, I agree with you on 4's.  Whenever I have a log that gives me trouble seems like the 4's work.  I just bought a box of 7's and have not tried them yet. I saw a lot of over ripe oak and hickory.
:christmas:
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

ND rancher

Cut my first bur oak with a new ultra 10*. It didn't make it through a 9'x 20" log! Need to get some 4* before I try another.Any suggestions? Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

5quarter

ND...Bur Oak bark is very deep furrowed and holds dirt and grit like you wouldn't believe. that might have been more of a problem than the hook angle of your blade. Steve's right about less hook angle running better in frozen hardwood, but dirt will chew up teeth fairly quick regardless of of the degree of hook.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

barbender

Dirt is bad. Frozen dirt is much worse. It doesn't take much to dull a blade.
Too many irons in the fire

ladylake

Quote from: ND rancher on December 23, 2012, 11:37:43 PM
Cut my first bur oak with a new ultra 10*. It didn't make it through a 9'x 20" log! Need to get some 4* before I try another.Any suggestions? Keith

For sure get some 4* , also check the downpressure the guide wheels are putting on the blade which is real important to cut straight. It should be 1/4", have the blade tensioned ,loosen the guide wheels so they're above the blade then measure from the blade to the bunk and lower the wheels untill they push it down 1/4". Make sure both sides are even to the bunk.  Also run the movable guide wheel in and out and make sure it stays even with the bunk, there are adjusters on the top of it .    Steve

ladylake

The log I was cutting was clean but did have a lot of blown in dust but that 7* blade was up and down if the first 3 feet of the first cut.  When I cut those trees down my saws dulled up fast.   Steve

bandmiller2

Anyone here tried less than 4 degree hook.[notice how I got around that degree symbol thing] I must try less than four myself, if you sharpen you own no big deal a simple adjustment.Only real downside is will probibly require more power and a little harder to feed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Thanks for the info Frank!

Don't know why, but that info is not in my manual.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

taylorsmissbeehaven

Your right Steve, I'll give em a try on my next blade order. You sound pretty happy with them. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

ladylake

Hey Frank I found the ° , thanks Shotgun never looked up there , those fractions are nice too.   Steve

Magicman

You are welcome.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ND rancher

Hey guy's, Thanks for the info.I know that the only dirt would be blown deep in cracks of bark,there was no visible dirt This wood was just hard!Tree had been blown down Aug. of 11 and cut in spring of 12.It had moisture in it as we could see and feel the frozen spots.Ladylake I'm running 3/16 deflection and 1200 psi. Keith :christmas:
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

bama20a

don't mean for this to sound like a smart remark,But being the 4 degree cut's better in hard to saw logs,Why not just cut ever thing with it?instead of ordering all diff- sizes,Mark :christmas:
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

YellowHammer

I started using the .055, 4 degree blades almost 9 months ago for some of my really hard logs and have been very happy with them.  I use them on hickory, beech, pecan, and white oak, especially the big logs because these don't seem to wander as much as my other blades in big hard wood, and seem to stay sharp for a reasonable time.  But get them in poplar and gum and they cut waves unless I slow way down,  so then I switch back to the soft wood blades and everything is fine.  I suppose all hook angles can cut wood if done carefully, but when the right blade gets put into a log it was designed for, it really shines. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!