iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Made in USA

Started by Tigerlily, November 10, 2019, 09:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigerlily

So Norwood says they are the only saw made in USA. But woodmizer says built in USA. Now I assume they maybe built in USA but with parts from all over the world. Just as the logsol says made in sweden. But it sources parts from all over the world. Now to me that means they get parts from China and just put it together in sweden or for woodmizer USA. Now Norwood would most likey also do the same... Is there any way to find out if the parts are USA or not USA for both Norwood or woodmizer. As logsol already says they out source. Thank you. 

Okefenokee_D

I have came to conclusion that nothing is fully made in the US anymore. Parts here and there may be, but many are sourced overseas. It is just how the world is now.

Southside

Well Norwoods website says made in the US and Canada, but some have a Honda engine and those are made in numerous countries, so like everything else at the end of the day I suspect parts are coming from various sources.  

I can say the couple of 12V motors I have on my two Woodmizer mills were made in the USA, pretty sure the 55hp Yanmar diesel came from Japan.  Component manufacturers who supply sawmill builders may have multiple plants in multiple countries.  Patriotism aside the quality and capability of the mill you are looking at is more important than where a rubber belt was made, if you want to produce good lumber.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GullyBog

Woodmizer is an employee owned company.  That isn't the same as all components made in USA but it means Americans directly benefit from the company's success.  Where I live "buy local" stickers are very popular.  Most are on the back of foreign cars ::)
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Okefenokee_D

Quote from: GullyBog on November 11, 2019, 06:04:21 AM
Woodmizer is an employee owned company.  That isn't the same as all components made in USA but it means Americans directly benefit from the company's success.  Where I live "buy local" stickers are very popular.  Most are on the back of foreign cars ::)

Some foreign cars like KIA are made here in the US...yet Chevys and Fords can sometimes be made in Mexico, etc. It is crazy.

BradMarks

My Toyota pickup was made in Texas, with 74% US parts, or so the sticker said. Must be the 26% that I'm replacing! Actually it's a good truck.

Tigerlily

I purchased the Norwood. Small one with ten blades and shipping just over 5300$ Canadian cash so that's like 2$ USA cash ? Joking 

Tigerlily

I did get a Norwood small one and 10 blades. Next is a blade sharpener . It looks slick so yah thanks for the comments ... And thanks for the add. I will enjoy this saw cutting planks for the new cattle corral. Also logosol called me this morning and he said the 13 hp might be to small and he wants to call me later to see how it is going. They started logosol because in Europe they wanted a upgraded sawmill. Norwood didn't want to go that way. Logosol is a "upgraded " Norwood but for the extra 3000$ I couldn't do it. Not that I wouldn't want to. Thanks again from tigerlily Alberta Canada.

Kaitlyn_D

At the place where I work, we manufacture our products in the USA.
But it is true that a lot of supplies and parts are now made overseas. Products may be cheaper that way, but quality suffers.

dustyhoosier78

I do not post much I mainly learn from this site. I live in Indiana and have seen with my own eyes where Woodmizer and Timbery mills are manufactured. I have a Timbery mill the fact that it was manufactured close to home was a buying point for me. I am not sure where parts are made, I have no insight on Norwood except they make a nice looking mill and were in the running for a mill. Dustin

Iwawoodwork

I recently purchased a Mighty Mite bandsaw mill #10, built in about 1985. The company is still in business in Canby, Oregon,  near Portland I have a Honda engine but the rest of the mill appears to have been fabricated in the U.S and very sturdy.

Pullinchips

Quote from: Southside on November 10, 2019, 11:19:00 PM
Well Norwoods website says made in the US and Canada, but some have a Honda engine and those are made in numerous countries, so like everything else at the end of the day I suspect parts are coming from various sources.  

I can say the couple of 12V motors I have on my two Woodmizer mills were made in the USA, pretty sure the 55hp Yanmar diesel came from Japan.  Component manufacturers who supply sawmill builders may have multiple plants in multiple countries.  Patriotism aside the quality and capability of the mill you are looking at is more important than where a rubber belt was made, if you want to produce good lumber.  
I can say for sure that the Us Mar is from Japan. I am a vintage Yanmar tractor nut. Untill just a few years ago Yanmar had pulled all operations out of the US. 8 years or so ago Yanmar USA made a comeback with a partnership with Cub Cadet. Then they stopped than a few years later and brought their own tractor line back. They are made in Japan. Yanmar diesel still had operations here to service the equipment market and marine industry but there were no plants and nothing was produced here especially engines.
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

charles mann

I know its now sawmill related, but im look for a new pair of boots. I want a pair made in the US. Since i had ankle surgery 5wks ago, i just released tue to start wearing boots again. I buy surplus mil boots, and from what i can tell, they dont meet quality control and are sold off as such. A new pair lasted a 12 day shift cycle before the sole came off 2 dats after getting hm. Id like to get something in the logger style or forestry fire fighting style, but dont care about the fire retardant certs. My dad used to (30yrs ago) buy red wing which was made in the US and i wouldnt mind something like, but redwing is garbage nowadays (25yrs ago is when it started going to crap). I know danner out of portland oregon is supposedly US made, so i bought a pair. They lasted 4 months before the stitching fell apart, soles were worn out and eyelets popped off. After fire season was over, i went back to them, WITH my receipt to show date of purchase, and i dont know if it was their hippy mentality or what, but customer service below poor and i told them as much, but in a much less nicer tone and words. For $270, a pair of so called american made boots should last more than 4 months. I left those boots on their counter and walked out. When i returned back to the shop, i inquired to other local shop personnel about their danner exp. and for the most part, danner lost their business. Long story short, danner is a NO-GO at this station. 

Supposedly carolina boots are US made, but cant find confirmation of such, but their office is US based. 

Any insight? 
Id much rather keep americans employed, even though it'll cost me more, but id much rather know my $250-400 boots put food on the table of some american family, than the same $200-300 boots, where 80% go to some corporate goon, 15% in shipping/import fees and 5% to the poor soul in some sweat shop. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

ranger7-92

Try White's Boots out of Spokane, WA.  They are custom (custom price too) but are well known for excellence.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Al_Smith

Having worked in or around the auto industry for decades I can assure you the components  come from all over the world .Try as you might unless you're talking a Model A Ford that's what you find .Even on after market model A parts which they do sell most are made off shore .

BradMarks

Baker' Shoe in Eugene, OR. They carry Drew's, Nick's and others, but I did not see made in USA, but both those mentioned brands have been produced in Oregon in the past. White's in Spokane, WA and Hoffman's in Kellogg, ID.  All fire boots are spendy.

DPatton

This is an excerpt from TimberKing. 

"Big-3 Superstructure and all fabricated parts are Made in USA: cut, shaped, welded, painted and assembled right here in Kansas City. Kohler engine is Made in USA."

As with almost everything claimed to be "Made in USA" some parts are manufactured outside of the US. But my personal experience has been this is a quality USA made product. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

GullyBog

Some boots like Redwings have 2 versions, 1 made in USA one imported.  Last I saw imported Redwings and Carolinas come from Vietnam, imported Chippewas are from China.  The made in USA versions are more expensive, I don't know if there is any difference in quality or if the components aren't imported.  The made vs. assembled in the USA/North America is tricky, but the economics are easier to figure out.  The more local the paycheck/profits the more likely some of that money might be spent in my town, hospital, school, or even sawmill.  That's why I like the employee owned part of Woodmizer.  Not only are the wages going to Americans so are the corporate profits.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

ID4ster

Nick's Custom Boots, Spokane, Washington. They'll cost ya but they're worth every penny. Fit perfectly from the first time you put them on.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

dgdrls

Boots,

I have Carolina's  they are the Lineman's boots  made in Martinsburg PA.
Carolina Linesman 905 Linesman Boot Union Made in USA

D :christmas:

Thank You Sponsors!