iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rotator cuff

Started by tree-farmer, November 11, 2019, 07:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree-farmer

After several months of "ignore it and it will go away", I finally went to doctor. Yep, he thinks its a torn rotator, going for mri to have a better idea. Shatered that shoulder in a head on car wreck in 1980. Collar bone was removed then, not sure what kind of mess is in there. Worked fine for near 40 years. Lifted something I should not have. Mind thinks I'm 20 but body says not so fast buster.
If I get it fixed, I'll be good, I promise. Hurts like being stuck with ice pick (but thats another story)
Hoping for good repair.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Don P

I've had 3 repairs and am trying to ignore it again, I swear this is my next to the last roof. It is hard to keep that 20 year old down :D. They say inside every old man there is a young man wondering what in the heck happened. Be good to yourself but do what the pain and torture people say. Good luck, keep us posted on how the MRI goes.

Raider Bill

I gave up and got a shot Thursday. Right shoulder was non stop throbbing and keeping me up all night.

Got MRIs on both shoulders and left knee a couple months ago. Both torn rotators, arthritis, bone spurs. Right shoulder is the worst.
Left knee has torn miniscus and acl.

Tried to get through it but gave up finally.   Got the cortisone shot and some prescription antiinflamitories last Thursday in the right shoulder.

Hated to do it but finally called it quits.
Not great but better.

Figure to spend 2020 sedated and in rehabilitation not to mention putting a Ortho guys kid thought college.

Looking forward to the golden years...
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

My shoulder is having to wait it's turn.  Knee has to be done first because I have to have my arms/shoulders to support my weight during knee surgery recovery.  I am OK straight down, just not out to the side.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tree-farmer

I understand your logic MM. Knee that I ran saw through a few years ago is slowly getting worse, need to wait til the upper bod can drag us around before doing anything for it. Just got a tractor with hydrashift, much easer on the knee than clutch on last one. Still keeping the straight drive truck. Can't wait to see what part of bod goes bad or falls of next. Aging is definately an adventure.

chet

This twenty year old may have to have ta face da fact dat his 65 year old body is just plumb wore out. One back surgery, two new knees, one rotator, and yesterday rotator on other shoulder. maybe it's time ta slow down. Then again, with a total rebuild I should be good ta go.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Don P

Seems like every time I put in a new head gasket the main bearings are soon to follow :D. I feel for ya it's no pick-a-nick. Happily the rental agency doesn't dock for scratchin the paint. Be good to yourself.

Nebraska

There's absolutely no point in returning a perfectly good body back to the maker.  I firmly believe that we are supposed to wear it out. That being said it's hard to stop the 23 year old me that sees this gray haired fellow in the mirror in the morning (anyone else wonder sometimes how it happened?) from lifting, climbing (most gates have latches doc) and jumping(jumping is bad anymore) . Oh well I intend to keep having a good time wearing it out but first time to start today and do my yoga.  Yes yoga it's made a big difference.

tree-farmer

Follow up: had MRI, there are 2 detached tendons with 1 inch tears. No wonder it hurts, having surgery on Jan 10.
Doc says it has to be in sling and minimal use for 3 months, says old bodies heal slower. No kidding doc :D
I have a week off over holiday to get deck finished, (getting good left handed).
Hope it will be good as new if I behave.

Don P

It won't be good as new but it'll sure be better than it is. Don't be discouraged it can take awhile for those big tears to calm down and then rebuild to get as good as they will get. I'll never be able to hold much weight out away from me but the range of motion is back.  I just realized you said something I did the first time. Cool it if you can, you're already done till after surgery. When he got inside he said there was fresh blood, I was still tearing it worse trying to get stuff done beforehand. That stuff can wait, you'll be better off doing less damage and bouncing back quicker. Good luck and keep us posted on how your doing.

petefrom bearswamp

Had both of mine done back in the 90s when I was just a pup in my 60s
Right one gone again and I  dont know  how I did it.
Doc says no fix this time
They both do the rice crispies thing when I raise and lower my arms but better than nothing.
You should be OK as mine have gone on for about 20 years since then
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

tree-farmer

Thanks Don P. I had not considered that. Sure not looking forward to being a one winged curmudgeon (grump old bugger) for several weeks. Hoping to be good to go in spring....

Raider Bill

Found out last Thursday that the Ortho guy that was going to do my shoulders and knee no longer takes my insurance so I'm back to square 1.

petefrom bearswamp

Bummer Bill
Hope it works out for you finding a new surgeon
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

kantuckid

Rotator Cuff FWIW: Mine was a full tear and got a fix 11/2014, I'm now 76 and it still works OK but has the rice crispies thing like mentioned above. The doc reminded me the arthritis doesn't go away just cause it's back together. Mine was sewn back plus 4 titanium screws with a titanium cable wound in a square with an X in the middle. 
I slept in a recliner nearly 4 months and worked my butt of to gain FROM! A good therapist helps but the personal aspect of hard work is essential. The partial tear people I watched in PT were done in half the time as a full tear.
I feel my same side detached bicep was a factor plus that I've had several obvious self heal partial cuff tears over the years. At least I'm not a couch potato, ha! Hard work gets you this stuff. The people that really suffer are those who need their body to feed others, I'm lucky to have gone back to school at age 30 and avoided skilled trades stoppages from these body repairs.
I get nerve impingement from the shoulder so my senior sleeping habits now mean right side only, such is life...
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Magicman

I have a followup visit with my knee surgeon on the 10th.  At that time I hope to find out when I can proceed with getting my shoulder fixed.  I am hoping to get both the knee and shoulder fixed this Winter so I will be ready for sawing as quickly as possible.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I think I may have the record for shoulder surgeries here at 5. 3 on one side 2 on the other.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

One side musta been an earthquake, or was that you waking up??   :o 

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff on December 31, 2019, 05:04:23 PM
I think I may have the record for shoulder surgeries here at 5.
3 on one side 2 on the other.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

:D  I liked it better the misunderstanding way.  ;D

kantuckid

My senior years are much like driving a beater car, fix and drive, fix and drive... :D  
I don't have depression to deal with but it does wear on one's mind to have these interruptions!
I have planned my life away while laid up and I'm at that point I want to finish the last project I planned after a THR/hip surgery, a remote cabin back up the holler on our place. 

Beats the alternative by leaps and bounds, that's a fact.
I went to a very large high school and had over 700 kids in my war baby, record sized class, and about 10% are already gone at this point. Somewhat grim reminder of being one of the lucky ones. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

tree-farmer

Today is the day, getting the shoulder operated on today. Going in at noon. Aprehensive but hopful for improved function. Will have to work on my left handed typing, awkward at best.

realzed

Good Luck - hope it works out well for you.. OH and have a nice snooze, at least for a while. You'll be busy when you wake up!

Magicman

I wish you the very best with your shoulder surgery my friend.

I have what I hope to be my final and discharge visit with my knee surgeon this morning.  I have ordered a shoulder brace which will be delivered Tuesday and am hoping to be able to delay the inevitable with my shoulder.  I hope to be able to saw for a few months to get rid of this backlog.  I have patient customers waiting.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on January 10, 2020, 08:09:36 AM
I wish you the very best with your shoulder surgery my friend.

I have what I hope to be my final and discharge visit with my knee surgeon this morning.  I have ordered a shoulder brace which will be delivered Tuesday and am hoping to be able to delay the inevitable with my shoulder.  I hope to be able to saw for a few months to get rid of this backlog.  I have patient customers waiting.
What brace did you get?
Is there a trick to icing shoulders? I can't seem to be able to get a ice bag to stay put.

Thank You Sponsors!