iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

heavy underbrush

Started by retiredmechanic, November 22, 2019, 11:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredmechanic

This is my first post: I hope i'm in the right thread, Thanks for the addition. my question is about extreme underbrush growth and specifically thorny vines. they are so thick in the area i'm trying to clear out that they have grown up in to the trees and choking them out I managed to pull 1 vine down and it was about 40' long and 2" thick. I cant get access to the area to use any heavy equipment so it will be all by hand I tried burning them but they will not stay lit to burn very rocky and a 30' cliff blocks equipment any suggestions would be appreciated other than  just using hand snippers 1vine at a time. there are some awesome trees I would love to maintain. they also block my view I live on a riverbank and this is my backyard would love to also be able to fish down  there.
gunfire and chainsaws is a Sunday afternoon Lullaby in the country

bluthum

Just cut the vines off at ground level, I never pull them down   they will dry out and gradually disappear. Smaller vines I use a lopper on, mid size a hatchet or machete and the biggest ones get chain sawed. Burning works great but is tricky to get right, it can't be too dry or too wet, etc.

Okefenokee_D

Roundup makes some herbicide that is ok to use around water. I know lots of people do not like to use herbicide like that, but unless if you can find a more natural herbicide then that may be your only choice.

Burning will help, but be sure to make a firebreak to mineral soil or a wet line

btulloh

Cut the vines, treat the cut end immediately with something that contains triclopyr. 
HM126

retiredmechanic

these are all good suggestions but I need to add a point there are like tens of thousands  of these vines it is EXTREMELY THICK and is impossible to walk through they run everywhere and the bulk of the base is about three feet high the area is about 50 ft W x 200 ft L using clippers would take me 2 years to cut through them burning didn't work amd a steel blade brush cutter just got tangled up with the vines wrapping around the shaft  it's a dillema for sure I wish I had pics but you cant get a pic until you get through the first layer it's like a wall of thorns and somehow the feral hogs have made a den in there 

btulloh

Ah.  Sounds familiar. 

I had a similar situation. Ended up hiring a forestry mulcher. Cleaned it up and looked like a park. Best money I ever spent. Took one day. 
HM126

retiredmechanic

to be certain,  what is a "Foresty Mulcher" person or machine? 

btulloh

HM126

lxskllr

I've been working on the farm at work. I use a brushcutter and small chainsaw. The brushcutter takes care of the small-midsize stuff, and the chainsaw for the bigger stuff. It's an ongoing job, and will likely go on as long as I feel like doing it, but it gets a little easier each time as the old growth gets thinned.

square1

Quote from: retiredmechanic on November 24, 2019, 11:10:53 AM
these are all good suggestions but I need to add a point there are like tens of thousands  of these vines it is EXTREMELY THICK and is impossible to walk through they run everywhere and the bulk of the base is about three feet high the area is about 50 ft W x 200 ft L using clippers would take me 2 years to cut through them burning didn't work amd a steel blade brush cutter just got tangled up with the vines wrapping around the shaft  it's a dillema for sure I wish I had pics but you cant get a pic until you get through the first layer it's like a wall of thorns and somehow the feral hogs have made a 
I guess it depends on if you have time or money. You are going to have to invest one or the other.
I've spent nearly 10 years cleaning up ~25 acres of neglected woods. I get great satisfaction from the time spent. To this day it's still a work in progress. 
Thinking back.. the worst days of cleaning up those woods are still better than the best days at my day job.

samandothers

I use an Echo PAS to clear thick brush I can not get the bush hog or grapple to.  I use the chain saw trimmer attachment.  It has a 10" bar. The ability to be back away from the trimmer head keeps most of the green briars from coming back on me.  I cut the bittersweet (vine) at the ground and up high taking a section out of it.  these vines can be 2 inches or better.  With briar patches I can cut vertical and horizontal and slash the stuff to get through it.  I have tried a brush cutter head but did not have as much luck.  

As stated before I too don't pull it out of trees as it is wrapped up in them like a rope and can lead to a head ache if not careful.  They will die and dry out.  

Best of luck.  BTW, welcome to the Forum

btulloh

Small mulcher. Never saw one of the before. Small mulcher

Skid steer mulcher. Skid steer
HM126

retiredmechanic

I wish I could get a brushcutter in there but there is no way for access coming off the 30 ft cliff sounds like I will just have to wait until a very dry summer and come up from neighbors land up the riverbed when it's almost dry (Life on the Kiamichi River) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiamichi_River I built a rock staircase down the wall then hit the THORNS now I wish I had made the rock path wider It will be an awesome place If I ever manage to get it fully accessible from the cliff there is about 40 ft to the water edge for excellent fishing this river is the only river in Oklahoma that hasn't been touched by development it's all natural Thank GOD 

retiredmechanic

i REALLY LOVE THAT WALK BEHIND... I could have it lowered if it isn;t to heavy Thanks for the awesome video demonstration That is exactly what I need . how is it on slopes though or rocky terrain the rocks are app 2 ft above ground to 6 ft diam. dlope is pretty steep in places I would hate to have it push me in the river or worse get away and fall in the river LOL 

Okefenokee_D

Sounds like herbicide is the only way if you can't burn or get equipment in there.

Klunker

Goats will clear under brush.
There are firms that will come into your place with their goats and  let them browse.

thecfarm

That walk behind is a nice idea. Much better than my mini bush hog,a push lawn mower. :D ::) I've been clearing steady for 20 years. The more I clear the more I have to keep clear. But this is on a small scale.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tarm

Backpack sprayer filled with triclopyr and crop oil. Spray the bottom two feet of each vine. Check back in two years.

ID4ster

As pointed out, the application of the trichlopyr (Garlon 3 or Garlon 4) and crop oil sprayed on the bottom 2' of the vines will work. In your case with the amount of growth you have to contend with that option will take a lot of time and money to kill off the vines though. What you may want to look at is a power bowsaw that is designed for cutting in brush without flipping the chain off. Cut a path through the middle or one side of the brush so that you can work off that to further clear the vines. Cutting or applying chemicals will kill the vine so that the vines will dry out, begin to decompose and be easier to pull down after a year or so. You're involved in a multiyear project. Pulling vines down that have just been cut takes forever and chews up a lot of time and energy for very little gain. If you have a helper and if you cut them then spray some concentrated glyphosate mixed 1:1 with water on the stumps right after you cut them. This will prevent them from re-sprouting so that you won't have a continual clearing job. Once you pull the vines down do some jackpot burning and then plant grass or forbs or trees to keep the vines from coming back. Good luck and post some pics after you've got it cleared.  
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

Iwawoodwork

what about a mini excavator, some are only 36" wide might go down your stairway, may need to attach a winch line if very steep, amazing how much brush they will tear out, quit reasonable to rent.

Thank You Sponsors!