iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first

Started by Jeff, December 09, 2019, 11:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Personally, I had never made an apple pie. Yesterday, finding I had a crust left from making a batch of Troll pies for the freezer, I decided to give it a try with some of the apples we got from the wolf  river apple tree Id been tending and nursing up at the cabin. Its had just a handful of apples on it in years past. It had been near uprooted twice by marauding bears and then left to have brush grow up aroundbit intil I stepped in to try snd rescue it a few yesrs ago. Clearing trees and brush and Pulling it up straight a year ago in a wet spring and then propping and pruning.  This year it had enough apples to share with 4 families.

So yesterday, I got out a bag of the peeled and sliced frozen apples and gave it a try to make a pie. Other than being a bit juicy, it came out pretty good. I didnt use a recipe, and I used the pecan topping on it that I learned to make from @PatD 's sweet potato casserole topping recipe. The juice was thick, so I used that to drizzle on the alamode. So I guess we call this pecan apple.

I did learn one thing. Dont let Moulton sugar and apple juice run out of the pie and down your wrist and into your hand on removal from the oven!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

K-Guy

Hi Jeff
Another cook taught me that using dry tapioca will gel the juice and make it like a syrup. The pie looks good though.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Magicman

Looks Delish, but it's gotta be cheating somehow!  Don't know how, but something hasta be wrong! 

Oh I know, I ain't there to help you dispose of it.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I like a juicy pie. Brenda has a fit and thinks she did something wrong. ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

cannot go wrong with apples, cinnamon, sugar ect. digin1
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

When she asks what kind of cake I want for my birthday its always "Apple pie". Sometimes its her Mom's lattice crust recipe with apricot jam lightly brushed on the top to caramelize and sometimes its one of hers but its always good. That looks like a fine pie :)

Jeff

I just had another slice with a wad of French Vanilla icecream. I'm going to have to stand back and take credit for a very tasty pie!

Ljohnsaw

I add a couple tablespoons of flour to the apples with the sugar, cinnamon and a dash of salt and nutmeg.  The flour thickens up any juice.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

With the apples  I put ½ cup sugar, 2 tps flour 1 tbs lemon juice, a little cinnamon

Ljohnsaw

Hmm, must have been the apples.  I use Granny Smith that are not very juicy and stay crisp.  Your apples must be a little juicier?  But, I never met a apple pie I did not like!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

sawguy21

Quote from: Jeff on December 09, 2019, 08:25:02 PM
I just had another slice with a wad of French Vanilla icecream. I'm going to have to stand back and take credit for a very tasty pie!
DanG it Jeff, you just brought me to tears. :D That sounds sooooo good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Nebraska

That looks like a pretty darn respectable first Apple pie.

fishpharmer

Jeff, that's a fine looking pie... need to taste to make sure. :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Traci

Looks way to good not to share! Please send a slice via WonkaVision, I'm on standby. :D
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."
Robert Brault

Jeff

I'm fixing to make another. I have more apples
 Let me know when you can be here.

Thank You Sponsors!