iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Speculation on Curly Red Maple

Started by Rwill114, December 11, 2019, 02:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rwill114

I'll be looking to mill this red maple this coming spring and am curious about what others think. Where the bark is gone around some of the base seems like there is beetle holes, so maybe ambrosia. The pattern under the bark also has interesting grain texture, maybe curly? Although that grain texture is not what I've seen in curly maple before. We have a bit a deer, could that be from healed antler scars?

The grain is hard, so it's solid but the rest of the bark doesn't really indicate curly maple to me.

low_48

I've found that patterns on the buttress flare may not continue in the main trunk. Compression curl is most common for the first foot or two. That pattern almost looks like birds-eye to me. Should be fun opening it up. This is a fine example of compression curl in soft maple.

WDH

I believe that your maple is actually ash :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DPatton

It's definitely different than any maple that grows in my area.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!