iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How is your shop equipped

Started by petefrom bearswamp, December 12, 2019, 12:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Probably been done before but I couldn't seem to find a pertinent thread.
my shop equip as follows
Shop is 32x58x 10 high ceiling and wayy tooo small
10" Jet table saw
8" delta joiner
20" Bridgewood spiral head planer
Old but good Powermatic shaper with houdaille power feed.
5Hp dust collection system
Ancient Montgomery Ward radial arm saw
Dewalt 12"slide compound miter saw.
Rockwell drill press which was my dad's
Craftsman disc and belt sander also from my dad
Various corded and cordless power hand tools.
Harbor freight overhead 1/2 ton sliding hoist
5hp ingersoll rand compressor
Bunch of pony and other brand pipe clamps.
small 300' Home made dehum kiln
Of course not nearly enough equipment for my wants.
BTW I was amazed at Customsayers  setup and hope he has the gathering again.
If he does our plan is to attend and the go across the south to visit as many forumites as possible.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

alan gage

In the process of finishing off the inside of a new 28x39 wood shop. Ten foot side walls and 15' to the peak of the ceiling. Can't wait to have equipment set up in a nice space again.

10" sawstop table saw with 52" bed
16" Laguna band saw
12" Dewalt miter saw (no slide)
Woodmaster 18" planer
Foley Belsaw 12" planer
No-name drill press
8" Rockwell jointer
Milwaukee router/table
Grizzly 3hp shaper
Jet oscillating edge sander
Oneida dust collection
Grizzly oscillating spindle sander
Mirka 5" ROS
Soon to be Festool track saw
Other misc. hand tools, clamps, etc.

Most of this equipment I've had for a while but some of it is new to me good deals that I couldn't pass up even though I didn't have a place to set it up while I was in between shops. Looking forward to giving the new stuff a whirl.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

GAB

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on December 12, 2019, 12:09:48 PM
BTW I was amazed at Customsayers  setup and hope he has the gathering again.
If he does our plan is to attend and the go across the south to visit as many forumites as possible.
Pete:
We did that last year.
Visited Yellow Hammer, Piney Woods, Magicman was on the list however he reached us at Piney Woods and 
informed us he was out sawing so we headed to WDH, then Customsawyers, then Fat Ol Elf,  on our way home.
On another trip we stopped in at Jon's in Maryland and WV Sawmiller on our way to the Paul Bunyon show.
If you can I hope you do it and I hope you enjoy yourself as much as we did.
To all we visited thanks for the hospitality
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

You guys are embarrassing me listing all this nice equipment and space I don't have to work with but I would bet if you are mapping out a trip from upstate NY to southern GA you will find southern WV is a real easy rest stop to come see. I am about 10-15 miles from and between I-64 and I-77 where they split below Beckley WV so we'll keep the light on for you and I will tell Sampson you are a bona fide grit eater so he won't chew on your ankle too much when you stop over. Keep us in mind when setting up your itinerary and stop off points. Depending on the timing and your scheduled availability I might hang some catfish lines and show you our local lake and send some catfish fillets south with you. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks WV we will try our darnedest to stop by
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Den-Den

My shop is 24 ft x 30 ft.  An antique table saw (Crescent Machine Co), an old 30" band-saw (Laidlaw), Grizzly 6" jointer, Grizzly 15" planer, Dewalt miter saw and Jet 1220 wood lathe supplement my large home-made lathe and home-made CNC router for wood working tools.  For metal working I have a Lincoln tombstone welder, torch, EMCO metal lathe and a Diamond horizontal mill.  Visitors are welcome.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Dan_Shade

I keep my shop equipped with plunder. 

:D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

firefighter ontheside

My shop is 12x24.  Too small.  Aren't they all?

3HP Sawstop 36" Fence
Dewalt 12 compound miter
Dewalt lunchbox planer
Ridgid lunchbox planer
17" Grizzly Bandsaw
6" Powermatic Longbed Jointer
Grizzly 18/32 drum sander
3 1/4 Triton router in table
Old ?? Floor Drill press
Delta Mortiser 
Small laser engraver
HF dust blower, vented outside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brad_bb

For 10 years I just had a 
Delta Unisaw
Dewalt lunchbox planer
and hand tools various powertools.

Then I got my  LT15
and shortly thereafter, a Dewalt mitre saw.
I held off buying equipment as I knew I would build a new shop one day.  It's almost done now.
I'll have a lot more toys in there - just bought a drill press for it.

Amazing what you can do with just hand and power tools.  The bigger equipment does make things go faster though.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

dougtrr2

I have slowly accumulating and upgrading for over 50 years.  Very few things I would change at this point:

Delta Unisaw

Frank H Clement double spindle horizontal boring machine. Dates to the early 1900's and came from my great uncle who used it at Parlor Furniture in Cedar Rapids Ia

Delta Heavy duty shaper (40's)
Delta 14" Bandsaw (80's)
Delta 24" Scrollsaw (late 30's early 40's)
Parks 12" Planer, bought new in 1984
Ekstrom Carlson model 111 Edge Sander (40's)
Rockwell 15" variable speed drill press (70's)
Sears Craftsman Belt/Disk Sander
Powermatic 6" long bed jointer
Powermatic floor model Mortiser

I am partial to the older stuff.  I joke that my shop could be considered light industrial.  

Doug in SW IA

DR_Buck

I have been to Dan Shade's shop.  Plunder is not the word I would use.       But then again, I have no room to judge.   

My shop is 28 by 50 with 12 ft ceilings.  Over twice the size I had before we moved.   It's still to small.   I've got way more "stuff" than I have room for and if I was to describe it, it surely wouldn't be as good as "plunder"   Something closer to mess, clutter, confusion, disarray, or all of them together.   

Here's my list in pictures....

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Brad_bb

Bringing a project from your mind to finished faster really is more satisfying, because undoubtedly before you finish the project you're on, you've got another started in your mind.

More equipment helps you do that- get it done faster.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ljohnsaw

Not a big shop - about 13' x 27' but broke up into three poured concrete levels.  Lowest level has a 9+' ceiling, next is down to ~8' and the top is at 6'8" or so. 

On the lowest level end wall is my old Craftsman 12x26 metal lathe, a BenchMaster mill and a toolbox.  Opposite side a 10' x 36" solid core door made into a workbench that sits on top of double stack of 4 steel drawers, a set of 3 steel drawers from a cubical setup and a metal parts cabinet with 40 drawers to hold metal stock.  On the left end of that by the door is an old Delta radial drill press on a stand (workbench size).  On the right end is two steps up to the next level.

Second level (everything on wheels), that is about 6' deep, is my Craftsman 10" table saw (1hp) that I upgraded (for free) from an old 8" model I bought for $15 some 35 years ago.  Along side that is a jig saw, another 8" Craftsman saw set up for dado paired with a 4" jointer.  There is a multi grinder station that flips over - total of 3 spindles - and a Shopsmith bandsaw on a homemade tool stand.  I have a 6" and 1" belt sanders that can be installed on it.  Very tight workspace!  Again on the right is two steps up to the net level.

Top level has my Shopsmith 10er set up as a wood lathe, a large set of shelves housing small wood stock items and assorted junk, an old wood "lockers" from a woodshop holding PVC/plumbing parts, a roll around table that holds the sanders mentioned above and currently hold my old 8" saw that I just can't discard.

Along the long side I had to pour a buttress (2' deep) to keep my post foundation footings from shifting.  That has 3 long levels  stepping down like the floor that has two 10' section of Formica counter sections above it.  I had inset my 12" Delta lunchbox planer but never ended up using the setup.  A large compressor is tucked under at one end by the metal lathe. The counters are a repository of junk at the moment.  Shelves mounted above store all my large hardware items and lots of other clamps.

I have a dust collection system to install - sadly waiting for the last 10-12 years! ::) 

Up in the garage I have an old Craftsman 6-1/8" jointer, Delta shaper (½hp) and a 14"? Bellsaw thickness planer (2hp) (all on wheels).  No physical space to house in the shop but works great in the driveway - easy to clean up with the leaf blower.

The ceiling on the upper level is home to a lot of pipe clamps:

I am a bit addicted to collecting and organizing my nuts and bolts.  This is when I still had room for more (long past that...):

Sitting on the sidelines (in parts and pieces) are two more ShopSmith 10er's waiting to be restored.  I figured I give one to each of my children when they move out.  My 28 year old daughter is still here...  Anyhow, I will set up one as a dedicated wood drill press with a small base (not the full bench for making it lay down into a lathe).  The other, not sure.  Hanging from the ceiling (lower level) is a big box air filter system made from an old A/C squirrel cage blower and some furnace filters.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

woodworker9

My shop is a combination of woodworking and metalworking machines and tools.  I have equipped it with vintage American made industrial equipment, and most of it I have restored myself.  I went this way because I grew very tired and frustrated with the lack of quality of the new import machinery available.

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

DDW_OR

just in the starting phase of my work shop.
will be inside the 30x60x14 pole barn, Posts are on 10 foot centers
shop will be across the back end, and be 30x20x10
level the dirt, then place a vapor barrier using the plastic rolls from Home Depot, 100 ft x 20 ft.
the TK-2000 can cut 21 foot length
then a roll for the walls, going around each 6x6 post. 20 +30 +20 = 70 ft + posts = about 80 ft
then either concrete blocks or RR ties to support the floor
i figure to use 10x10 framing grid for the floor and roof
will be of 2x12's
A and B - will run two sets of 2x12x21 for the roof
C - dust collection
D - Power panel
E - Double doors

equipment
Table saw
woodmaster 725 - that i dropped. now have to re-align and fix
Ryobi 18 v tools
delta benchtop drill press and bandsaw
Harbor Freight 14 inch floor bandsaw
sears and delta radio arm saw's
jointer
Ridgid 14 inch planer

plan to use legal File Cabinets to store power hand tools

In the future plan to have several CNC wood carvers. to carve cabinet doors. I like the concept of the Carvewright CNC
"let the machines do the work"

kantuckid

"Stuff" I've got plenty of that. "space" my 24 x 36 shop is about half the size I really need and most of my lumber is in another bldg same size across the way.
I bought a 1987 vintage Powermatic Model 66 table saw for myself as I've wanted one since using them in school shops as a teacher. I watched on green one a bit older than mine go for $60 once but I wasn't legal to bid.
Mine came from the original owner who had a welding shop and used this saw for his hobby so never was commercial. I polished up the top, repainted the cabinet and Biesemeyer fence, adjusted all and lubed it, it needs nothing now. I considered moving the top from my stand alone router table onto the table saw, as the fence would hold the sides OK but not sure I want that for now?
I talked a long time to a man, Ken Reardon, in Bonita Springs, FL who owns the same name machinery business there a long time. He said he'd done maybe ~ 600 of these older PM saws.
I was asking him what paint codes he used otherwise I know machinery well and my saw needed nothing except spruced up. My Grizzly saw is now ready for sale here in E KY.
I'll share this shop related tidbit on wood stoves in shops: I see one above and my shop has one too. This past May i had a walmart parking lot accident where a 18 yr old girl ran into my PU then claimed I'd backed into her not the real version. My wife watched it all happen from outside our truck as she'd got out to move a cart. The short version is I got ticked of at my insurance company who went with the girls story so i began looking for insurance for vehicles and real estate. In doing phone talk with many companies one fact i ran into was that not any of them allow a stove in a shop thats not lived in. Mine is like 150 yds from the house, has a Fisher bullet proof wood stove and a code masonry flu. none of that matters as the deciding factor is that it's an unattended building, i.e., not lived in. I ended up staying with my old company but was told that if the inspector ever notices the flue then none of my property will be insurable, not anything! If you don't believe me, I'd be real careful about how you ask you insurance carrier! It matters not that I mostly use my overhead electric heater in that shop.
If my body holds up, I have started on a remote cabin on our property and partially have the site leveled. The stove will get moved to that cabin. Honestly I dislike it as it has no ash pan but it has new bricks inside and great for a cabin as the flat top is easy for cooking off the grid.
So, don't say I didn't tell you on shop wood/coal stoves!
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

alan gage

Quote from: kantuckid on January 02, 2020, 04:27:50 PMnone of that matters as the deciding factor is that it's an unattended building, i.e., not lived in.

This is what I was told about 6 years ago when I was building my first shop and went to insure it. Was pretty upset with my company at first but then I called around and got the same story everywhere. In the end it was fine as I was happy to have the extra floor/wall space.

I'm sure if you talked to insurance adjusters you'd hear no end of the stupid things people have done to burn down their garages/sheds with wood stoves so I guess I can see their point.

Quote from: kantuckid on January 02, 2020, 04:27:50 PMwas told that if the inspector ever notices the flue then none of my property will be insurable, not anything!

Yes, I got that line too when I wanted a wood stove in an old building out back that I didn't feel I needed to insure. I didn't like it but could understand the reasoning when they explained things can get pretty sticky if you burn down an uninsured building that has insured items inside it, or it catches other (insured) structures on fire.

The one work around my insurance agent told me was that if I ever ran a business out of my shop I would probably be approved to install a wood stove. I suppose the reason being if it was a working shop you'd be in it more often and less likely to leave leaky gas cans laying around. But in that case he said the building would probably be insured separately (as a business) from the house and rest of the property.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

DR_Buck

For you guys with the wood burners and insurance issues,  I installed a mini-split heat pump.   It works great.  I can keep the shop comfortable year round.    The big advantage is in the summer I have AC and don't have any issues with humidity and rust on any tools or machines.     

It also allows me to have my shop and contents insured without any questions or issues.    

petefrom bearswamp

Barrel stove in my shop.
Only issue was the ins guy made me raise it 16" off of the floor.
Minisplit here for heat would break me.
My 32x56 shop is insulated 6" in the walls and 12" in the ceiling.
I have one in the house for AC and only ran it for heat for part of a month and my electric bill soared.
When listing my machinery I made a mistake.
The shaper is a green Powermatic Houdaille and the power feed an ancient Forest City.
Also a Rockwell band saw which was my dad's
I'll be running the shaper tomorrow for T&G butternut about 400'
Dr Buck do you have your plastic dust collection system grounded?
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

kantuckid

My insurer is KY Farm Bureau and after calling many other places including a very long phone call with USAA, (where I talked to a contractor who sells their home insurance policies on % and answered the dumbest questions at that for ~ 2 hours) none were even remotely close to what I had/have now. I have had Progressive a long time on MC's and scooter and they told me they cannot compete with Farm Bureau on real property.
I'm forgetting aspects of one factoid but an insurer said something about how owning large animals made for a different coverage aspect on the out buildings. I have none, want none, and do not farm for profit any longer, we live off teacher retirement checks and SS.
I have zero interest in having a business, even a pretend one.
It seems patently ridiculous that I have a large detached shop and a large storage barn and coverage on both is limited to 10% of my homes value!

When I built my first adult home, an A-frame cabin in a semi-remote location in KS, nobody would insure the home or contents, same thing when I rented an old farm house in KY, no renters insurance on contents available.

I could go on hating on insurance companies, but I'll spare you.

Another not insurable-
Just this past week, after the death of my wife's 90 yr old aunt, for whom wife is executor, we learned she has no insurance on her home. It happens to sit right beside my MIL's home which is insured. Apparently she got ticked off about a premium increase, changed companies, then quit the 2nd company too. They will not pick up the policy, either company. Unless we rent it, nobody will insure it unoccupied, not a great choice for us. Another factor is that it cannot logically be sold as it is a part of the overall piece of real estate. For now, it sits uninsured and until my cared of in her home, 95 yr old MIL dies from probably Alzheimers, the property is static.One hired caregiver for my MIL would be a candidate as she lives in a rented trailer but what logical person would move when someone that age next door has been in late stage of AZ for several years and likely need to move soon. It's a quandary!

If anyone has ideas for insuring a detached shop beyond 10% of my home value, plus a very pricey farm tractor in another building, lets hear it? The Vespa sitting right beside my tractor is cheap to insure-~$125 yrly. Outside in a pasture sits my RV that cost ~ $30k and it gets covered on rider to my PU truck policy for under a $100 yearly.

"How my shops equipped" is one thing, how it's under-insured is quite another!

kantuckid

Quote from: DR_Buck on January 02, 2020, 11:40:24 PM
For you guys with the wood burners and insurance issues,  I installed a mini-split heat pump.   It works great.  I can keep the shop comfortable year round.    The big advantage is in the summer I have AC and don't have any issues with humidity and rust on any tools or machines.    

It also allows me to have my shop and contents insured without any questions or issues.    
My shop is 150 yards from my home which is on a Geo thermal setup that uses a farm pond and ground loop too. The shop has separate electric meter and a forced air electric overhead heater on a thermostat. My insurer wont insure mine even if I remove the wood stove and demo the flue. What makes your shop insurable vs. mine?

DR_Buck

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on January 03, 2020, 08:45:38 AM
Dr Buck do you have your plastic dust collection system grounded?
Short answer... NO !     

There has NEVER been a documented case of a fire in a woodshop caused by static from PVC dust collection systems.     Yes there are over 100,000 so called experts on line that will tell you that it is a fire hazard.   It is not.    I have done hours upon hours of research on this topic.   I have also had this very same PVC system in used for over 15 years =in 3 different woodshops and have NEVER even had a static discharge or tingle from it and I use it all the time. 

kantuckid

I have read about dust explosions from un-grounded plastic ducts, but don't remember a fire mentioned?

From the picture we had no idea if there were wires running internally in that set-up. My school shops all used metal ducts, home shop I have 4" plastic like this discussion.

Un-grounded they will easily make the hairs on your arm stand tall and give a shock.
This year I bought a nice 20' vac hose on ebay which has no grounding. It runs to a 30 gallon barrel vac. The only problem I've had is wood scrap stuck inside of it and requiring lots of fuss to remove!

Kindlinmaker

Quote from: alan gage on January 02, 2020, 05:39:06 PM

The one work around my insurance agent told me was that if I ever ran a business out of my shop I would probably be approved to install a wood stove. I suppose the reason being if it was a working shop you'd be in it more often and less likely to leave leaky gas cans laying around. But in that case he said the building would probably be insured separately (as a business) from the house and rest of the property.

Alan
I would get the details on this one in writing before trying. A business on your property is generally an express line to homeowners policy cancellation. Normal homeowner claims, including fire, are nothing compared to a business customer claims.  Insurance companies expend plenty of resources to identify businesses against homeowner policies for just this reason. Isolating a building on a separate business policy without separate land deeds also registered to the business will be difficult at best. And that's just the building insurance perspective; dealing with business liability, tax ramifications, business regs., town zoning and neighbors will be another whole joy.  Probably not a solution for heating a shop. 
I would love to build a small retirement business out of my extreme woodworking hobby but business overheads make this non viable and doing business personally without some sort of business structure protection is just way too much personal finance exposure. 
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

EOTE

I love the title - "How is your shop equipped"... and then the first post is a hugemongous list of tools most people only dream of having or can only see when they stop into their favorite temple of tools.  

I prefer to call my shop a "well endowed man cave" which has the tools I need to process all the lumber I have cut for our upcoming home project over in Building our Dream Home a.k.a. Delusions of Retirement.  I've created 3 production lines, the first being a Delta Cruzer 12" compound miter saw with 7' long skatewheel conveyors on the infeed and outfeed.  I can handle 13' long boards and use it primarily for sizing to length.  The second production line is a 20" Jet Helical head planer with an 8' conveyor outfeed table to support boards up to 12' in length.  The third production line is a Grizzly G6906 3 hp. tablesaw with a cast iron router table extension and a Powermatic 4 roller power feed as well as 7' skatewheel infeed and outfeed.  The router table sports a Triton 3 1/2 hp router which I can dial up the router bit height from the top of the router table.  This production line helps knock out shiplap and T&G boards pretty quickly.  I am planning on upgrading the router fence to something about 6' in length so I can do more precise joining since I don't own a joiner.

My most important tool is my "12 Mexicans", a Kubota Grand L4060 with a quick attach plate on the loader where I swap between a 60" bucket, 60" Armstrong Ag grapple, forks and man cage, and a stump bucket.  On the back side, I have a 60" box blade with a "Taco box" mounted above it which holds my chainsaws, chains, etc. as well as an 8" wood chipper and a 24" stump grinder.  This tool is priceless for a forested plot of land as well as for on and off loading wood from my Woodmizer LT40 hydraulic.

Like any shop out in the country, I am equipped for welding, mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical repairs and fabrication as well as for my woodworking addiction.  

Best of all, my wife feeds my addiction but she is getting her dream home in return.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Thank You Sponsors!