iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

grapple loader trailers who has one and what brand?

Started by logman81, October 29, 2014, 03:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

I've been kicking around the idea of putting together a grapple trailer that I can tow with my pickup. Was wondering who has one and what brand is it. I'm thinking about finding a nice 14k lb deck over trailer and mounting a small log loader to it similar to blue ox, metavic jms brands. I can think of many task that I would use it and have wanting to put one together for a long time.
Precision Firewood & Logging

LittleJohn

I will send you a PM, of an OFF-THE-SHELF rig -> similar to the one I have, but by a different manufacturer

logman81

yeah thats along the line of what im talking about. I would want a flat deck so i could haul a small skidder or tractor if needed. I would want a longer reach to around 16'-17' reach.

LittleJohn

Just to let you know the trailer was HEAVY, took the springs out of the back of a 1/2 ton truck.  Not quite thru the bed, but after a year or so of occasional use the back end of the truck got VERY soft

brendonv

Pretty sure you have a thread discussing this already.

Mines a jms. Decent loader. I tow with a dually one ton diesel. Id be scared towing with a single wheel one ton, fyi. Think gooseneck if going that route.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

logman81

yeah mines a single wheel but it tows my 10k lb trailer with tractor just fine. i cant really see much of an advantage with duel wheel if your just towing a trailer.

Ohio_Bill

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

DR_Buck

I have a JMS purchased through Baileys.   15 ft deck,   17 ft boom reach,  13,000 lbs gross.     I added a 12k lb Milemarker winch w/ 100 ft of cable to pull logs close enough to reach with boom.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

logman81

Dr buck that's what I want to put together. I want to buy a loader and mount it to a trailer of my own. How does that truck handle towing the trailer?

DR_Buck

Quote from: logman81 on October 29, 2014, 06:22:08 PM
Dr buck that's what I want to put together. I want to buy a loader and mount it to a trailer of my own. How does that truck handle towing the trailer?

Never had a problem other than one time I was most likely over weight and my brake controller had an issue.    smiley_furious

woodmills1

I have a blue ox little ox 7 ton.  only broke the loader twice in 7 years, it is a nice machine with low insurance and high value

I have a metavic off road that is nothing but usefull around the sawmill, I think it is a 1050.  It is small but way a workhorse.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Wallys World

My little Wallenstein would be too small for what you want.

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

timberlinetree

Quote from: logman81 on October 29, 2014, 05:25:15 PM
yeah mines a single wheel but it tows my 10k lb trailer with tractor just fine. i cant really see much of an advantage with duel wheel if your just towing a trailer.

Duals help with breaking ,cornering and gvw's. Those are some nice set ups! Work/drive safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

logman81

Yeah wallys world that would be a little small for me. Thanks to all of you for sharing the info. Timberline thanks for clarifying that for me. I'll Most Likely Be Fine With Pulling One. Any one have a sillvahill brand of trailer seem to be nicely built.

LittleJohn

DR_Buck, it appears as your dodge has a bit of a squat with that load of logs on the trailer.  ;D  That was the reason I when from 1/2 ton to 1 ton with duals; also I can now pull bigger trailers, ;), but at 12mpg (OUCH)

logman81

LittleJohn

Logman you are correct, I was only 1 cup of coffee in, was not awake yet when I posted.

enigmaT120

Those trailers are cool, I've never seen anything like them.  I thought the thread would be about self-loading log trucks and trailers, full size for the road. 
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

DR_Buck

Quote from: LittleJohn on October 30, 2014, 08:34:55 AM
DR_Buck, it appears as your dodge has a bit of a squat with that load of logs on the trailer.  ;D  That was the reason I when from 1/2 ton to 1 ton with duals; also I can now pull bigger trailers, ;), but at 12mpg (OUCH)

Yep., a Ford.  F350 SRW.  Worked fine for everything except my new 16K gross 5th wheel camper.   Replaced it with a F450 dually a few months ago.

logman81

I'll be getting the quote for the trailer/loader combo tomorrow.

woodmills1

let me go get some pictures, all old but both trailers still do yeomans work almost daily

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

logman81

David-L

There all very handy for sure. would not want to be without.

David l

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

lopet

Can you turn the seat on your Valtra  David  and run it from the tractor?
Just dreaming .
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!