iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

200-300 year old sycamore tree felled by teenager

Started by rusticretreater, September 30, 2023, 12:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusticretreater

QuoteA famous centuries-old Sycamore in Northumberland National Park in the United Kingdom was cut down overnight, and police have captured the 16-year-old culprit.

Located at the Sycamore Gap near Hadrian's Wall, the tree was featured in the 1991 movie, "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves."

Police say the 'world-renowned landmark, and the vandalism has caused shock and anger throughout the local community and beyond'.

The tree was estimated to be between 200 and 300 years old, according to reports.

By afternoon, police had arrested a 16-year-old boy in connection with the incident.

Police said the teenager remained in custody and was assisting police with their investigation.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Erik A

teakwood

What a shame. it makes me angry and sad. they should put him in jail 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

thecfarm

Sad to see something destroyed in minutes that took 200 or more years to grow.
Such a waste of a landmark tree.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JD Guy

newoodguy78

Quote from: Erik A on September 30, 2023, 01:05:09 AM
WHY ?? ??
Just a guess but might have something to do with him not knowing what the sting of a leather belt or wooden spoon feels like.
That's such a waste hope he's prosecuted to the fullest extent. 

WhitePineJunky

A city in my province has old public gardens they call it, landscaped by the city it's a nice park to see old trees, last winter somebody girdled about 25 of these 250 year old elm trees. If there's a way people can figure to bother you or get a reaction, it will be done and teens definitely are bad for stuff like this they get in the big groups and start circle jerking dumb ideas for popularity 

Southside

Here it's very obvious that respect has been vanishing for a long time here, especially over the past several years, clearly they are having the same issue there. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

He should be required to plant thousands of trees over the course of many years. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Quote from: Magicman on September 30, 2023, 09:56:28 PM
He should be required to plant thousands of trees over the course of many years.
That's often an actual sentence that's available, under community service. 
So it would be both fitting and legal.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

It would be really nice if it's not too late, to saw up the tree into usable lumber and make something of historic significance with it!

Hard to believe, even a young, ignorant teenager would really do such a thing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

I suggest a paddle that is used to beat his you know what with. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

teakwood

Probably some evidence in form of a video on youtube or tiktok, because you know, they only do stupid stuff if it's filmed and posted.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Don P

They've arrested and released an adult male as well as the youth. They don't know who did it at this point. It was apparently well notched and was dropped in a gale.

barbender

I also read that a 66 year old man was arrested in connection to this. As far as the kid, it could be due to the decline of respect, morals, and accountability. Or seeking TikTok fame. Who knows? Or it could be a stupid impulsive foolish move that teenage boys sometimes randomly make. I did a few things when I was a teen that I'm absolutely ashamed of, and my parents raised me WAY better. You know the saying, "One boy, one brain. Two boys, half a brain. 3 boys, no brain at all"? I've taken part in activities that that demonstrate that saying to be very, very true🤦🤦
Too many irons in the fire

JD Guy

Quote from: Ianab on October 01, 2023, 02:24:48 AM
Quote from: Magicman on September 30, 2023, 09:56:28 PM
That's often an actual sentence that's available, under community service.
So it would be both fitting and legal.
Should be the perps lifetime sentence!! Or until he reaches the age of the tree he demolished.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom King

My money is on the disgruntled 66 year old that is good with a chainsaw.  He did say it was a pretty cut.

Texas Ranger

Back in the day the high school I attended (Ferguson Mo) had cypress trees on the front lawn, maybe 50 years old, one morning we came to find one on the ground, felled by two enterprising young guys with an old two-man misery whip.  They were expelled and charged with vandalism. Google earth shows them still there, the survivors, that is.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SawyerTed

No When I was in high school, somebody cut a (Japanese maybe) Maple on campus.  It wasn't huge, probably 5 or 6 inches in diameter at the cut and maybe 15' tall. The AH who cut it, cut it off flat about 12" from the ground.

The ag teacher and students aligned it and reattached it to the stump.   They braced it with stakes and ropes and used wooden cleats to hold it together at the stump. Don't know if they used and chemical treatment.  

It lived!  It's been many years since I went back but it was still there 5 or 6 years after I graduated.  It might be akin to grafting.  

I might have to ride down there some afternoon to see if it's there 43 years later.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

There is a tree in that location according to Google Maps.  Is it THE tree?  I don't know.  

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

Quote from: Southside on October 01, 2023, 09:38:37 PM
Air Head
That's the polite FF friendly version, so we will stick to that ;)
I have to think there is more to the story though. Looking at the pictures, it was cut down by someone that knew what they were doing. Nice wedge out of the face, back cut and hinge wood are all done right. I'm have trouble matching that up with an Air Head teenager?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

customsawyer

Most of what I want to say doesn't even belong in the restricted part of the forum. What I will say, is that I would like to get my hands on the rascals. With a 60 year old being involved, and the fact that it looks like he had a little skill, I'm willing to bet it was retaliation for something. No telling what, or if they will dig that deep. May not even want it out in the open.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Jeff

I think they should have to pay whatever it takes to replace it with an equivilant tree, even if its hundreds of thousands, since a million dollar view was destroyed. The Midget dr. In me says use the lumber to build a gallows.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rusticretreater

Here is a link to an article about efforts to keep this tree in the nations conscience:

Seeds collected from Sycamore Gap 'spring into life' at National Trust centre

Looks like they are doing a fabulous job.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Thank You Sponsors!