iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this horse or Chinese chestnut

Started by A-z farmer, February 18, 2020, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A-z farmer

We have these growing on farms wood lots and I do not like them but my brother says they are good for the wild life.These trees must of grown from seed because the chestnuts my grandfather planted died many years ago from disease.

WV Sawmiller

I'd say Chinese chestnuts. They are good eating but get wormy quick. Wildlife love them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

moodnacreek

Answering with a question, ever saw any of that chestnut. Was it soft?

wisconsitom

Agree with the Chinese chestnut.  Similar to buckeyes and horse chestnuts, but just enough differences to make certain.  Considered edible and also invasive in some regions.

I think plants like this can serve a purpose.  it is just up to the person controlling things to see that they remain food plants and don't get out into the woods.  We sure don't need any more  exotic invaders in some areas.

Note too...if great for wildlife, than a great chance they are being spread around the countryside.  One goes with the other.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

WDH

If Chinese chestnut, the underside of the leaf will be wooly/hairy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

A-z farmer

Here is a few pictures of the back side of the chestnut leaves that were still on the tree .I lost the pictures of the chestnut trees from last year while they were green.I thought it was a scam when apple said I had to buy more storage space from their cloud but I will not ever do that .One of my daughters says she will store my stuff with out costing me anything.

A-z farmer

GullyBog

That looks like a Chinese or hybrid chestnut.  There were a lot of 50/50 hybrids planted 50-60 years ago.  They are very common next to old farmhouses where I live.  The old timers really missed the chestnut trees.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

A-z farmer

Gullybog 
Around the old farm houses they planted a lot of horse chestnut trees .I do not know why they did it unless it was what you said about people just loved chestnut trees and the American chestnut has been gone for many generations.My dad told me today that he and his dad planted a hybrid chestnut developed by Cornell back in the early 1950s.I have to go to that farm and look to see if any are still alive .
Zeke

Thank You Sponsors!