iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning the chimney from the basement

Started by Bruno of NH, February 07, 2021, 12:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I ordered a kit on Amazon for chimney cleaning.
It runs by a drill and you clean from the bottom up.
The brush looks like weed trimmer string.
You cut the string to the size of your flue.
Mine is 6" double wall.
The poles will flex in the 90° thimble. 
I got a 37' kit 9 poles , brush and drill adapter. It was $90
It worked great I'm very impressed. I ran it with a heavy duty 1/2 drill (electric)
I think a heavy duty cordless would do it.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

In the off season you could use that to stand 35' behind someone sitting on a bench and scare the daylights out of them.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

cutterboy

Quote from: Southside on February 07, 2021, 01:01:10 PM
In the off season you could use that to stand 35' behind someone sitting on a bench and scare the daylights out of them.   :D
:D :D :D :D :D creative mind at work  :D :D :D :D :D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

mike_belben

:D :D :D 

smiley_spider drop

smiley_bouncing 
Praise The Lord

jmur1

Thats a good idea -I need one that can do a 90.  I dont want to stand below it whiteflag_smiley smiley_furious soldier-smiley
Easy does it

Bruno of NH

I have a 90 it goes right in and up very slick

Skip

Saw similar one at Menards wondered about how it would work in a 90 ??? . Thanks for the report Bruno , gonna give it a try . My wife doesn't  like me on the roof, can't say I care much for it myself anymore .

SwampDonkey

I got a similar chimney brush that comes out of England. Will do elbows and such, real flexible rubber shaft. Chimney sweeps use them around here. But I gave that one to my brother, since my new place has a chimney with bottom clean out, so just use fiber glass rods straight up the chimney pipe. :) Stove pipe to chimney is in to the chimney joint, so when I brush the stove, it goes right on through that stove pipe to chimney clean out. I don't have to take pipes apart. Brush horizontal from the stove and vertical up the chimney.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sauna freak

I use one of these, mine is sold at Home Depot, not sure if it's the same brand or not, and it will go around the reburner baffle on the cheap US stove I have in the garage.  Just tried that once for fun to see if it would work, I usually clean that one from the 3/12 roof.  2x aprox 70 degree turns in 2' distance. I don't have any 90s, but I'm sure it would turn them.

I do clean the house stove from the bottom as the roof pitch is ridiculous.  There's a double 33 degree section I remove to access the flue pipe.  I punch a tiny hole in the side of a 2 gallon heavy poly bag that minnows come in and feed the back of a rod through the hole.  I then duct tape the bag to the bottom of the flue pipe and run it up to the chimney cap.  The bag catches almost all of the soot.  The bottom 4' section containing the damper and 33s is removed and cleaned outdoors.  This thing will run around the butterfly damper as well.  I left my strings full length, trimmed about 1/4 to 3.5" radius, they get a better bite for cleaning and I have multiple flue pipe sizes to deal with.  Mine runs fine on a homeowner grade 1/2" cordless drill I keep for odd jobs (until the non-replaceable obsolete OEM battery gives up the ghost).

Great invention, so much better than the old steel brushes. 
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

moodnacreek

I got in trouble cleaning the chimney from the cellar, twice. Through the clean out with red fiberglass rod sections and most of the way up, one came apart. After work, cold and right at dark, there I am, up on the roof fishing. The second time, same thing. After that I drilled and pinned the joints.

Technoid

I just bought one from Amazon. Have not tried it yet. How fast does the drill have to go? My 1/2 drill was made to hone cylinder walls on an engine. The orange stringers are very stiff and I don't think my drill will spin them fast enough.

Gere Flewelling

Bruno, Good to see an old Shenandoah wood stove still operating.  Bought a new one just like the one in the picture, 40 years ago to heat my house.  Traded it for a rectangle version of the same and have had that in my homemade hot air furnace for over 35 years now.  Still working fine at keeping the house warm.  Only had to change fire bricks once a few years ago.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Technoid on March 25, 2021, 11:56:30 AM
I just bought one from Amazon. Have not tried it yet. How fast does the drill have to go? My 1/2 drill was made to hone cylinder walls on an engine. The orange stringers are very stiff and I don't think my drill will spin them fast enough.
I used a 1/2 low speed high tork drill.
I don't see a problem using it on a high speed drill.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Gere Flewelling on March 26, 2021, 08:24:41 AM
Bruno, Good to see an old Shenandoah wood stove still operating.  Bought a new one just like the one in the picture, 40 years ago to heat my house.  Traded it for a rectangle version of the same and have had that in my homemade hot air furnace for over 35 years now.  Still working fine at keeping the house warm.  Only had to change fire bricks once a few years ago.
Gere,
I like this old stove it can take lots of wood.
And puts out the heat.
It was in great shape when I got it.

Al_Smith

I only have about 14 feet of rise which is a heavy wall,22 gauge 7" stainless liner stuffed inside a 9" clay lined chimney .The only portion that gets any creosote is the approx. last top 6" or so where it ducks under cap .It's a simple matter of running a brush through once a year, usually in mid Oct .
Prior to the liner it would get that road tar like creosote that could catch fire .This carbonized  stuff won't .

Technoid

I just got mine. It's a bit of a pain to use. You can't put all the rods together at once. Only one at a time up the clean out box. And having to use the Allen key to pop each button. Time consuming! Waste of money. And the fiber glass rod will hit the walls of the flu near the brush end. I don't think it will last long in a clay pipe flu. I'm going back to my steel brush and pipe. Much faster.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: moodnacreek on February 23, 2021, 06:51:58 PM
I got in trouble cleaning the chimney from the cellar, twice. Through the clean out with red fiberglass rod sections and most of the way up, one came apart. After work, cold and right at dark, there I am, up on the roof fishing. The second time, same thing. After that I drilled and pinned the joints.
Mine have lots of thread, but I rotate the rod like tightening bolts as I sweep. They've never came loose. Sometimes even have to use pliers to start them loose when pulling it back down. I only take apart every other section.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!