iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identifying tree by bark and cross section

Started by muddauber351, April 07, 2021, 12:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddauber351

Hi all,
This my first post since getting onboard, great info here.
I was trying to identify a tree by its bark and cross section (pics attached).
It was dead when cut down so no leaves making it much more difficult.
It is hard wood with straight grain, easy to split by hand except for y's.
Champaign Illinois is where the tree was located.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks John

Thanks John

KEC

WDH

You need to take a very close-up pic of the end grain and post it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stavebuyer

The first picture screams "Red Oak". Second one the bark pattern seems different than the first picture?

WDH

The bark is more elm-like to me than oak-like.  A close up of the end grain will confirm if it is one or the other.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: muddauber351 on April 07, 2021, 12:57:36 PMeasy to split by hand except for y's.
The bark doesn't look like an Oak.  The part that has me wondering is the splitting which is not Elm's nature.  If the wood had been yellow instead of redish, I would have said Black Locust.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

It doesn't look like Northern Red Oak to me. More like elm to me as well.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

muddauber351

Thanks to everyone both pics are from the same tree, I will post a close-up later today.
LOL still working for a living.

Magicman

Black Locust also has not much sapwood.  The end grain will probably verify Elm, but still I have never seen Elm that split easily.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

muddauber351

Hi all,
Here are some close up pictures. A little background the tree in question was standing in front of my neighbors house, a sweet old lady. A wind storm came through and blew the tree down into the street, the city promptly came by and cut it up and piled it up in her front yard. Myself and several other neighbors helped clean it up for free. Well I ended up with the wood in my backyard
lucky for me its great firewood and I'm always outside. The picture of the bark was the only piece on the whole tree, which had been dead for years.

Thanks John

WDH

The wavy bands of latewood pores confirm elm. 

Magicman

Yes confirmed Elm but "easy to split"??  smiley_headscratch  Apparently the rounds are short.  ::)

RonG

Your pictures look like Red Elm.  Red Elm has almost splits nice for me, like Ash, and seems to be fairly rot resistant.  American Elm on the other hand is challenging to split without a log splitter and deteriorates in a few years.  The two kinds of Elm are very different. 

Magicman

Thank you.  I have only split Elm once (which was enough) and apparently it was American crossed with Hickory or RR rail.  :-X

muddauber351

Thanks to everyone!
Yes it splits quite easily I can split a round with the diameter of 20 inches that is 18 inches long quite easily, I have a heavy maul and just start on the outside and work from there no wedge or anything. Smaller rounds take very little effort just let the maul do the work.

Thanks again
John

KEC

Not to challenge the resident gurus, but I feel compelled to comment. The first photo shows a cut end of a limb. It's been a long time since I've seen red elm, but I don't recall such distinct sapwood. I agree the second (bark) photos doesn't  look so much like oak. I'd like to know what the cut end smelled like. I think that red elm does split much easier than white elm. Comments ?

Jeff

Danny is much more than just a resident guru of that you can be assured! However, Ima going to keep watching and learning.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!