iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What tree is this?

Started by WhitePineJunky, July 27, 2023, 11:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhitePineJunky

Big_eddy

Silver Maple. They like wet areas and send out suckers like  a poplar.

Don't plant one anywhere near your field bed. 

rusticretreater

https://identify.plantnet.org/

The page listed above has a drag/drop interface for photos to quickly identify plants.  All three images when run through this app return the species as Silver Poplar.

There are several good apps you can download to your phone. LeafSnap, PlantNet, etc.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: Big_eddy on July 27, 2023, 12:06:10 PM
Silver Maple. They like wet areas and send out suckers like  a poplar.

Don't plant one anywhere near your field bed.
I have silver maple on my own land and I'm sure this is not that

Big_eddy

Well look at that. I stand corrected. I have always called them silver maples which has bothered me, as I dislike them yet I love maples.

More research shows they are considered an invasive pest in Canada, which is fine by me, as I have cut many a one down. Also known as white poplar.

True silver maples have a thinner leaf form and are less silver, and more like a typical maple. Still like water, but don't have the annoying habit of sending up shoots everywhere.

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: Big_eddy on July 27, 2023, 02:38:28 PM
Well look at that. I stand corrected. I have always called them silver maples which has bothered me, as I dislike them yet I love maples.

More research shows they are considered an invasive pest in Canada, which is fine by me, as I have cut many a one down. Also known as white poplar.

True silver maples have a thinner leaf form and are less silver, and more like a typical maple. Still like water, but don't have the annoying habit of sending up shoots everywhere.

WhitePineJunky

I like silver maple but I can understand why some folks don't 

Old Greenhorn

My parents bought the house I was born and raised in when it was just a couple of years old. It was on a curve and my pop was worried that some drunk would miss the curve and drive into the house so he planted 4 silver maples. They grew pretty quick and sent out ground level feeler roots all over the front yard. They would suck water from anywhere and anything. They kept infiltrating the sewr line to the street. One by one, over the years, we took them out staring when I was about 15 or so. The trunks never got more than 8' tall before they branched out into lots of big leaders and as a teenager mowing the lawn I was learning to hate all the roots I was constantly shaving off. Never wanted to see another one since then. Firewood and not much else.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on July 27, 2023, 04:19:55 PM
My parents bought the house I was born and raised in when it was just a couple of years old. It was on a curve and my pop was worried that some drunk would miss the curve and drive into the house so he planted 4 silver maples. They grew pretty quick and sent out ground level feeler roots all over the front yard. They would suck water from anywhere and anything. They kept infiltrating the sewr line to the street. One by one, over the years, we took them out staring when I was about 15 or so. The trunks never got more than 8' tall before they branched out into lots of big leaders and as a teenager mowing the lawn I was learning to hate all the roots I was constantly shaving off. Never wanted to see another one since then. Firewood and not much else.
I have mine far away from any areas of impact or damage they could cause. I love the look of them and they do seem to grow really fast. 

Ron Scott

The tree requested isn't silver maple, but the leaf example picture is.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Mountain maple, or also called moose maple.
~Ron

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: Ron Scott on July 27, 2023, 07:03:58 PM
Mountain maple, or also called moose maple.
While the leaf shape looks to match, the mountain maple I'm seeing doesn't have the frosty white the same this tree in OP has, I looked up white/silver poplar and that looked exactly like what I was seeing today 

beenthere

A right-click on the photo of the leaves will allow a google image search and come up with the white poplar image nearly the same. Coincidence?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: beenthere on July 27, 2023, 07:48:50 PM
 Coincidence?
Nope This is a sealed case I believe, it's white poplar 

Ron Scott

Yes, it is white poplar, also called silver poplar as identified by its leaf and bark. It is an invasive species favoring the more hydric soils.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!