iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Network Attack

Started by Jeff, September 21, 2005, 08:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The Forum sever is doing AOK, but the network it is on has been under a denial of service attack all morning. You may experience slow pages or not found until the network administrators can block the attack.  >:(
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

farmerdoug

Jeff,

I will never undersand why people do that.  A person should do something constructive instead of destroying others work.  ::)   

They need a job and some values.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Jeff

Yea, they need a job. Making License plates, breaking rock or cutting weeds on the side of the road.

Kevin_H.

man that was close, I almost took a hammer to my gateway this morning.  :D

Then again the day is early  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

woodbowl

I got some funny loaded pages this morning. I figured I needed to clean out and update my computor. Tried it again later and loaded fine. I not sure what "service attack" is. It sounds like a server problem from within somehow. Could it be intentional or is it mainly unintentional?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

ronwood

I sure would like to say what I would do with them but not on the fourm. Might get kicked off ::) ::) ::) ::)
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Jeff

Its intentional.

Here is a good discription of what a denial of service attack it.

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/denial_of_service.html

DonE911

I thought it was my sat. service.....  I almost called them to complain.

Murf

Ok, here's the second dumb question of the day. I understand what a DOS attack is, and even how it works....... but;

What the heck do they get out of doing it?

Do they hold the network owners for ransom or something, pay us or we shut you down?

Or is it just another case of "Dog Lick" syndrome? (They do it because they can...... )  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

bitternut

I would hack off both their arms at the shoulder and let them peck away at the keyboard with their nose. Of course both my hands would be at the back of their head helping them puch the keys.

Guess this would never happen so I will have to just dream about it.

rebocardo

> What the heck do they get out of doing it?

As examples:

In simple terms if you cause enough traffic on some servers you cause an overflow in a buffer, that allows you to load programs on the crashed machine once it is down or it allows packets through where you can access the root directory to plant programs or to run ADMIN programs or look through directories.

Sometimes you crash a router just so you can see what the person uses for a password when they sign in to reboot it over an unsecured link.

Sometimes a DoS is not that, but appears to be, when a zombie is spewing out tons of spam to every e-mail address possible to the targeted network.

Thank You Sponsors!