iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky Chain vs Oregon

Started by hlhill, September 15, 2010, 10:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Quote from: John Mc on September 20, 2010, 03:44:40 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on September 20, 2010, 11:02:30 AM
I honestly think Oregon put a better grade or more chrome on the cutters for Husqvarna, because the Husky chain I do run seems to hold an edge better then my Oregon branded chains.
But then again I use chain made by Oregon Canada, so we may be comparing apples and oranges here from your fellows American sawchain.

Hard to believe that a company that goes to great lengths to build its reputation as a quality manufacturer of chainsaw supplies would put out better chain with someone else's name on it than they would the chain which carries their own name. At the very least, if the Husky chain was a better quality than Oregon's regular chain, you'd think Oregon would offer it as a premium "pro" chain under their own name.

I would be interested to learn if the Canadian chain and US chain are made to the same specs.
I believe Oregon's premium chain is Duro-Pro. A large chainsaw manufacturer could probably order whatever specs they want. Back in 1968 Oregon supplied chain,sprockets etc. to 55 different chainsaw manufacturers.
Oregon's Canadian plant in Guelph,Ontario has been making chain longer then the mothership Portland, Oregon plant . The Guelph plant was Planer Chain Ltd. before Oregon Saw Chain bought it in 1952. Only a few years before in 1948 Oregon founder Joe Cox was working out of his basement.
Canadian pro chain has a tougher environment to work under [-30 to -40 F] so alot of testing and improvements had to be made.
I haven't field tested sawchain and bars for Oregon for over 25 yrs so I have lost touch with the company and officials. I had the pleasure of testing the very 1st prototype 70 series LG sawchain, radial port rim sprockets and powermatch bars beginning around 1980.

Willard.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Nate Surveyor

Just be sure that any alternative oils you use, are clean.

For those of you that know better than me, I did my own study, and developed my own conclusions, on chain life.

But, in your defense, it was not scientific, and possibly I changed chain brands, and THAT was the reason that the used motor oil worked better. BTW, I use heavy oil, out of my diesel, from oil changes.

I have an independant streak in me, somewhere!

Use at your own risk.

Nate
I know less than I used to.

HolmenTree

Speaking of field testing here in my home turf of northern Manitoba. Ford , some major snowmobile and jet aviation companies have been cold winter testing their products in my back door at Thompson, Manitoba for over 20 years.
I remember logging up at Thompson in the late 1980's , early 90's seeing unmarked cars and trucks tearing down our logging roads when it was minus-30 to -40F below.
Metal strength and fatique is determined when its that cold.

Willard. :)

HolmenTree

To add to my last post, I just opened the newspaper this morning and read in a few weeks time GLACIER [Global Aerospace Centre for Icing and Environmental Research Inc.] is opening a mammoth cold-weather engine testing facility in Thompson, Manitoba.
A joint venture between Pratt & Whitney, Rolls Royce and the National Research Council of Canada.
Thompson has also been a cold weather testing site since the mid 1980s for Ford, and since then Landrover, Volvo, Chrysler, Hummer, Jaguar, Porsche, Honda and Mercedes-Benz. Also Bell helicopters, Cessna aircraft and Navistar engines. Plus various snowmobile companies.
Manitoba has the operational headquarters for the largest independent gas turbine engine repair operation in the world, Standard Aero.
But the most important cold weather testing for me was then Omark- Blunt Industries and their Oregon sawchain and accessories.

Willard. :D                  

Thank You Sponsors!