iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Better setter

Started by uler3161, December 05, 2014, 12:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uler3161

We've never used ReSharp before, but know people who do. I've also read a few things here on the FF about the service. The recent thread about finding an alternative to ReSharp reminded me of one of the complaints I've heard/read about why blades are rejected. Apparently if they have "too much set", they are deemed useless. We simply bend the teeth back the other way. Doesn't take a lot of time, but it's also not an automated process for us.

What I'm wondering is if there are any setters out there that automatically handle a tooth with too much set? Seems like a good idea, but I've never seen one. I'd like to find an automatic setter that does this. Right now we use an old WM single tooth hand setter with dial indicator. It's slow, but you catch (and usually can fix) every issue with every tooth.

1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

terrifictimbersllc

I've recently been very successful using my dual tooth setter to push teeth back. 

Used to be if I accidentally set too much like 035 or greater I'd delegate that for spruce.  Well I started to have too many "spruce" blades.

Now I just take out one of the anvils, back off the setting on the other about 2 turns, position the over-set blade and adjust it  so this will push a tooth BACK about 10 thousandths, and crank it around.  Have to do one side, then the other, because the spacing doesn't come out right to do them both at the same time.

The uniformity of the resulting set is very good, probably have better set teeth doing this than the normal way, and all of them are the same now, no worry about some being too far out.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Correct.  Most setters can neither detect nor correct too much set.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

uler3161

Quote from: Magicman on December 05, 2014, 01:38:59 PM
Correct.  Most setters can neither detect nor correct too much set.

I figured as much. I'd think with todays electronics this would be easy. I've thought about trying to build one myself. Maybe after I get my setworks working correctly.

Dan

Brian_Rhoad

The Timberwolf setter is supposed to increase and/or decrease the set.

uler3161

Quote from: Brian_Rhoad on December 05, 2014, 02:50:42 PM
The Timberwolf setter is supposed to increase and/or decrease the set.

Thanks. That looks like what I'm talking about

Dan

Larry

Going back in time to around 1990 WM had a roller thingy that you were supposed to use before sharpening/setting.  The rollers took the set out of the band.  Seemed like it was a pretty simple device that attached to the sharpener.

If the above statement needs correction do it...I suffer from CRS.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

uler3161

Quote from: Larry on December 05, 2014, 03:22:01 PM
Going back in time to around 1990 WM had a roller thingy that you were supposed to use before sharpening/setting.  The rollers took the set out of the band.  Seemed like it was a pretty simple device that attached to the sharpener.

Could be. Our setter is WM 1988 vintage but I don't think we have something like that.

Dan

Tom the Sawyer

My Suffolk dual tooth setter came with anvils and instructions for down-setting.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

MartyParsons

Hello,
We have Re Sharp Sharpening service here at our location in Pennsylvania. We sharpen lots of blades per week. The process is sharpen, clean and set.

The cleaning process is done with a wash station and we use hot water, wires brushes and a spring loaded roller that makes all the teeth the same before we take the blades to the next station.

If a blade is rejected the tooth may be really bent out or a tooth damaged or if more than three teeth missing then it is rejected. If only one tooth is damaged we straighten the tooth and put the blade back  into service.

We always put a note on the blade if we do this for quality purposes.

If one side is bent out beyond reasonable amount it is rejected. One because labor to straighten the complete side is not cost effective. The other reason is once the blade is bent beyond a amount the blade set has memory and will never work as good as new. Most times the blade tooth bends the profile also and again it just will not cut.

There are times we will sharpen blades we would normally reject because customers are willing to have a blade to cut trash logs etc. and do not expect the blade to have a high quality cut.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Thanks!

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

uler3161

Thanks for the explanation Marty. While we probably will stick with doing our own sharpening/setting, at least I have a better understanding when some of our local sawmilling friends have complaints.

Dan

Thank You Sponsors!