iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setter

Started by ladylake, December 30, 2017, 05:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylake

After setting maybe 7000 blades my old Dino setter is wearing out so what to do or get, replacement parts for the Dino around $300  or a new Cooks or Suffolk, also on Ebay they have a new older model Suffolk for $650 shipped. Both the new model Suffolk and Cooks are around $1200  shipped.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

xlogger

At the $1200 price if you do it again that's around $.17 each set.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

JB Griffin

Don't buy a cooks. The Suffolk setters are much more accurate.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

gmmills

From the two setters you mentioned the Suffolk setter is the most accurate. This is based on the fact that it has the ability to clamp deflection from the blade prior to the anvils contacting the tooth to set it. The Cook's does not do this. The setting anvils are bending the teeth prior to the setter jaws even contacting the blade. The blade is actually twisting between the jaws as the teeth are being set. The WM dual tooth setter is another option to consider. It also clamps the blade deflection prior to bending the teeth.

Out of all the dual tooth setters on the market the Cook's is the least accurate of all. The blade body has to be held static prior to bending the teeth to assure accuracy. 

The Suffolk also has less moving parts to wear over time compared to a Cook's.   
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

ladylake

Sound like Its going to be a Suffolk .  Thanks   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

PAmizerman

I looked at the one for sale on eBay about a month ago. It does not have the capability to backset and does not have the guage to check set. Suffolk does have an upgrade kit but I'm not sure if it will fit that one. I thought pretty hard about the one on eBay but I'll just be buying a new Suffolk.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

barbender

Steve, I gave the EBay old model Suffolk, I haven't set but maybe 50 blades with it but I am very satisfied with the consistency of the set, and the sawn finish of freshly set blades. In fact, I had one blade I set, I almost didn't bother with it as it looked like it had hit a nail. It was missing a few teeth, but what the heck. Well, then I ended up having that on my mill when a guy showed up and wanted some cedar sawn, I figured I'd have to get another blade but even missing the teeth that blade sawed with a beautiful finish. The cedar was being used rough sawn for paneling so the appearance was important. The customer was happy, and so am I👍🏼
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

Quote from: gmmills on December 30, 2017, 10:04:14 AM
From the two setters you mentioned the Suffolk setter is the most accurate. This is based on the fact that it has the ability to clamp deflection from the blade prior to the anvils contacting the tooth to set it. The Cook's does not do this. The setting anvils are bending the teeth prior to the setter jaws even contacting the blade. The blade is actually twisting between the jaws as the teeth are being set. The WM dual tooth setter is another option to consider. It also clamps the blade deflection prior to bending the teeth.

Out of all the dual tooth setters on the market the Cook's is the least accurate of all. The blade body has to be held static prior to bending the teeth to assure accuracy. 

The Suffolk also has less moving parts to wear over time compared to a Cook's.

If this is the case with your Cooks setter, you really need to do some adjusting on it to make it right!

I have the Cooks setter and the blade "is clamped before" the anvil contacts the teeth!

I suggest that you call Cooks and ask for help adjusting your setter properly!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Cutting Edge

Chuck,

Quote from: ladylake on December 30, 2017, 05:27:19 AM

Both the new model Suffolk and Cooks are around $1200  shipped.  Steve

gmmills is referring to the Cooks Dual Tooth Setter... also what ladylake was comparing at approx $1200 investment.

It was not stated as such, so I figured a little clarification might help. 

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

kelLOGg

Early on I experienced an insufficient clamp force on my Cooks single tooth setter but found out I didn't have it adjusted right. Corrected it and it really clamps the blade body tightly and has need no readjustment in 10 or so years.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

Thanks for the clarification Cutting Edge!

Wasn't quite sure, but I knew my single tooth setter worked very well!

Thanks again!   :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

irvi00

My cooks dual tooth setter works great. When adjusted properly it does clamp securely before setting. Very accurate.

xlogger

On my suffolk setter I've really not use it to down set when setting blades, maybe I should. Does anyone use this much?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Grizzly

Quote from: irvi00 on December 30, 2017, 08:03:46 PM
My cooks dual tooth setter works great. When adjusted properly it does clamp securely before setting. Very accurate.

Thanks. I've been a little confused reading here. I'm no where near a seasoned pro like a bunch of you guys are but I've run about a hundred or more bands through watching closely (trying to learn from Cutting Edge's teaching and all the forum info). And that was my observation. It clamps, brings up the setters and dial gauges, then sets and measures. I then cycle it to the next ones. But I'm pretty ignorant compared to the average guy here on the forum and not near as experienced.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Percy

Quote from: xlogger on December 31, 2017, 05:04:08 AM
On my suffolk setter I've really not use it to down set when setting blades, maybe I should. Does anyone use this much?
When I first got my Suffolk, I used it as you do, just for setting teeth as in increasing set. I did not even have the down setting anvils installed .  It was a tad finicky and my accuracy was not very good.  On the advice of someone here, cant remember who, (Im a siv-head), I installed the down setting anvils, set them correctly for the thickness of my blades, yaddayadda and ...wala.....the thing became very consistant and accurate.....not as accurate as my old slow poke single tooth setter, but acceptable.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

4x4American

I made this video about 4 months ago when this same question came up on here, I think it will help clear things up a bit:

https://youtu.be/NZbYsRPiwSQ
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Percy what is the difference in the up-setting anvils vs the down setting anvils?  Is it just the location in which they are mounted which makes it so you can double down-set in one go round da jimmy-do?  I use my Cooks DTS mainly for down setting teeth as it's quick and works good enough, but you can only do one side at a time and have to set the anvils distance for each side each time cause you have to take one away to do one side...if ya foller what imer sayin...The DTS is faster than the STS cause it has the feed arm and you don't have to invert the blade so it is my weapon of choice for downsetting.  I try to downset it to my target set on the first shot and if I have alot of blades to do that are the same ting I'll set it up to do say the outside teeth and I'll put one blade on, do the outside, take it off and do the rest of them all on the outside, then I'll set it up for the inside and go go go.  Helps keep it consistent as well as less fiddlefarting around with the settings.  But if you get it wrong on this then that'll put ya in a vlasic jar eh.
Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

4x4, I see it now, the dual-tooth setter actually does the clamping and setting at the same time, compared to the single-tooth setter clamping and setting in two steps!

Percy

Quote from: 4x4American on December 31, 2017, 12:10:29 PM
Percy what is the difference in the up-setting anvils vs the down setting anvils?  Is it just the location in which they are mounted which makes it so you can double down-set in one go round da jimmy-do?  I use my Cooks DTS mainly for down setting teeth as it's quick and works good enough, but you can only do one side at a time and have to set the anvils distance for each side each time cause you have to take one away to do one side...if ya foller what imer sayin...The DTS is faster than the STS cause it has the feed arm and you don't have to invert the blade so it is my weapon of choice for downsetting.  I try to downset it to my target set on the first shot and if I have alot of blades to do that are the same ting I'll set it up to do say the outside teeth and I'll put one blade on, do the outside, take it off and do the rest of them all on the outside, then I'll set it up for the inside and go go go.  Helps keep it consistent as well as less fiddlefarting around with the settings.  But if you get it wrong on this then that'll put ya in a vlasic jar eh.
in this pic, the large anvils are the uppers and little ones the downers. Just back off the appropriate ones.

4x4American

So you can upset and downset both sides of the blade in one pass?
Boy, back in my day..

ladylake

4x4American

I might have to trade up the old red dts for one of these units hot dog!
Boy, back in my day..

ladylake

Shouldn't break your bank, just over $1200 shipped.  Steve

Percy

Quote from: 4x4American on December 31, 2017, 03:34:41 PM
So you can upset and downset both sides of the blade in one pass?
Ya...I guess, if you had some teeth that got overset by metal or somthing, this would push them back, part way atleast. To be honest, Ive never downset a blade, but I use those downset anvils always as they seem to make the unit more accurate. The key to accuracy of this setter, IMO, is accurate setting of the blade height using  the little plastic gauge/thingamajig/ what came with the unit, and consistant pressure on the "bidness" handle, and using the downset anvils as they seem to make/keep the set within 2 thou. I can live with that. What I dont like about the unit is the clamp on dial gauge. That cooks one and the WM one seems to have a dedicated gauge for each side. I have to do a few teeth, then clamp the gauge on the blade to check my work on one side, then reclamp the gauge on the other side and check my work again. On the positive, if you are real careful setting the blade height before setting, the results are pretty good/consistant. I run alot of set and when I get a new box of blades, I set the height to the first blade outta the box and just do the other 9 right off. Sometimes without checking....heh...I like to live dangerously...pretty much always works out.  *stands infront of wavy boards with missing tooth grin*

PAmizerman

Perxy, how much set do you run?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Thank You Sponsors!