iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Albino Bear Cub

Started by pappy, July 11, 2004, 10:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAW MILLER

Pappy,
  I'm going with Bounty hunters guide service at New Portland.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

pappy

SAW MILLER,
Carrabassette Valley very nice area... Went downhill skiing at Sugarloaf back in the early 70's, lots a mountains... Good luck and hope ya get a big one  :)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Paschale

So Jeff, when is bear season in MI?  And what kind of gun will you use to get one?  And can you EAT bear meat?   :P

Don't know much about bears at all...except that I like them far away from me.   ;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

SwampDonkey

Not sure about Jeff's area, but we have a week left I believe, then a fall hunt. Some people do eat the meat.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Murf

Hey Buzz, I wonder what'd happen if'n ya came fer a visit during bear season and I had too much bear meat an sent ya' home with some of da 'extra', mebbe about 150 pounds worth.......  ;)

:D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Jeff

Bear season will start around the 12th of September and be divided into different hunts.  I'll either use a 35 rem  a 30 06 or a 300 win mag.  :) Yep you can eat bear meat. Personally, I dont like it but my sister and brother in law love it, so they will get the meat.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

do you all hunt with dogs, or bait, or just wait and see if one shows up?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Donuts. On shares one for the bear two for me.  ;D   Yes we bait but only use breads and sweets and things like that. Meat draws ravens and ravens draw other hunters. I have the first hunt before the dog hunters start. Those guys are a different breed. Some of them have no sense of what a property line is. They figure if the dog goes somewhere, they can follow. There have been cases up there where they cut logs and tear down gates. 

One thing that works real well is jello. Just sprinkling jello powder in the early morning dew on leaves puts an insane smell in the air that will draw bears.  We have had them try to rip the brush down at the cabin looking for what ever it is that smells.  You can take stale bread and mix up jello and pur the liquid over it as well to may a taste treat for the bears.

We pretty much rough it when it comes to going out to the bear blinds. Here is one of several at the cabin

This is one of the signs you may come across on the trails we have cut on the property.

I'm usaully a pretty happy camper when I'm up to the cabin for any reason. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

it's unfortunate that a few dog hunters are disrespectful of other people's property.  most states have laws that allow the owners to retrieve their dogs from another person's property, but unless you have permission to hunt there, it is illegal to kill game that is treed on other people's property.

I'd love to "hunt" bear with hounds, but I don't believe I could shoot one out of a tree, unless they were becoming serious nuisance problems.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

bitternut

Pretty nice stand Jeff. Do you have to come out on the porch to shoot the bear or do you wait for him to come in the door?

We can't use bait for bears in NY but everyone gets a tag. Its part of your big game license. Our woods is south of interstate 86 where bears are legal to take. We usually have a couple hanging around every year. Last fall my son-in-law shot a really nice tom turkey the last hour on the last day of turkey season. It was dark by the time he got back to camp with it. He had never picked one before so I showed him how and by the time he got done my buddy had supper ready so I told him to leave it hang in the tree till after supper to cool and then put it in the freezer. Right after supper he went out to get the turkey out of the tree and all that was left was the back and one leg. Our only clue was the very large tracks in the snow indicating what the culprit was. Guess we won't leave a turkey hanging in the tree anymore.

Will have to test out the jello trick. Maybe I can get some good pictures. Good luck with your hunt. Hope you get a good rug. Would look real nice hanging on the wall of your cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!