iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer vs other blades

Started by mmartone, September 09, 2013, 07:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

I'm sure this subject has been beat to death but... Are woodmizer blades better than other brands? I have been using cooks and cooks sharpened blades on 99% SYP. Will they sell me a blade to try out or do I have to buy a whole "whack" of them? If so what do I get for SYP, 7, 10 degree? Cut the last log in pile number three this weekend and started on pile number two!
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

WH_Conley

Don't get just one, sure as you do you will find a nail or something right from the get go.

I have used Cooks, WM, Timber Wolf, Lennox and some others. All are premium quality blades. I saw mostly hardwoods and use 10 degree. I have got dull blades from some over the years. I credit that to rough handling. I recently opened a box of new blades that had to be "touched up" right out of the box. I opened the box and put a new blade on and it was worse than the one I had just taken off. I won't mention the name because I have used their blades before with no problem. Try 2 of each and do the same thing again in about 6 months. Quality control is tight, but, accidents do happen.

It seems everybody's millage varies. I don't use the resharp services so I can't comment on that. I would imagine location and shipping would have an effect on cost. Someone else can probably give better insight on that.
Bill

Chuck White

I use Wood-Mizer Double Hard 10° blades 99.99% of the time.

Two years ago I got to free blades from another company and about half way through the first log with one of the free blades, I hit a #16 nail and in my opinion, the blade was ruined, unable to be resharpened.  Other than the nail strike, the other blade was doing a wonderful job, I was impressed.

Finding: the Wood-Mizer blades hold up better than that particular blade did.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MRowsh

Is there a difference between saw blades that were punched out, and those that were grinded?
LogMaster LM2 with Kubota V1305 Diesel conversion.
There is a price for everything in life!!!  No free lunches!
Retired US Army.

beenthere

QuoteI have been using cooks and cooks sharpened blades on 99% SYP.

If happy with the cooks, why think about switching? If unhappy, then I see a reason to buy a whack and switch. ;)

Looking for greener grass just gets expensive and adds variables to the day to day problems that will exist and happen regardless of which blades you are using.... i.e. the nails, sharpening frequency, dirt in bark, tooth setting, etc.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

qbilder

Short answer, no, yes, maybe, maybe not  :D Not for me. I tried a couple dozen WM DH 7* and they were fine, did the job as expected. The cut wasn't impressively smooth, nor was it terribly rough. They lasted well enough that I thought it was fair for the price. Tried some Munkforssagers & they cut the smoothest of any blade I have ever tried, but dulled out quickly. The Lennox blades, at least for me on my mill with the wood I cut, last the longest & leave a smooth finish. It's all I use anymore.
God bless our troops

Peter Drouin

I use Wood Mizer blades because I have a Wm mill. I think they're the best, but that's just me :D
I say dance with the one that brought you to the party :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

I've only used three brands, wmz, cooks, lennox, they have all performed the same for me, no gripes with any of them.  But as beenthere suggested, why switch if happy?  it could change a few things in regards to re-sharpening.     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 09, 2013, 12:25:24 PM
I use Wood Mizer blades because I have a Wm mill. I think they're the best, but that's just me :D
I say dance with the one that brought you to the party :D ;D

Now THIS.......is a VERY good reply!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

millwright

I use WM 10* blades for hardwood and softwood and find they perform very well.

petefrom bearswamp

I have used WM, Cooks and Timber wolf all with good results, but lean toward WM Because of the closeness of the Hannibal store.
Am now partial to WM 7 degree .055 because of the production achieved.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

JFarmer

I have used cooks and woodmizer blades on both my resaw and mills. I get a lot more sharpenings out of the cooks than the wm blades. The wm blades break after the 2nd or 3rd sharpening and they dulled faster than the cooks.
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

bandmiller2

I have had good luck with all the major brands I've tried.If you sharpen your own it helps to have all the same pattern so you don't have to switch cams.There are a lot of clams bantied around but it all boils down to set and sharpness. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

Quote from: JFarmer on September 09, 2013, 07:56:43 PM
I have used cooks and woodmizer blades on both my resaw and mills. I get a lot more sharpenings out of the cooks than the wm blades. The wm blades break after the 2nd or 3rd sharpening and they dulled faster than the cooks.
Finally someone stood up and said it,  I'm not a million board foot member, although close,  I know for a fact that wmz would not like to know the last half of my lumber has come from Cooks' with far less breaks,  there have been a few as might be expected, but fewer for sure, I like the wmz's but have experienced too many breaks,  now I wait for all the orange team to tackle me down again, (tackle the man with the ball!)  I'm not afraid, nor careless, just want to gain the ground I can.    there's no shame is telling my story with a truthful testimony of my experience, as it relates to my  personal experiences,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bugdust

I'm a WM blade user through and through. Why? It's simple, I haven't tried anything else, so I just stick with what works. Why try to fix it if it ain't broke. I must admit though that the last order of blades didn't cut as well as the re-sharps. From what I've read that's to be expected from time to time.  ???
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on September 09, 2013, 09:26:36 PM
Quote from: JFarmer on September 09, 2013, 07:56:43 PM
Finally someone stood up and said it,  I'm not a million board foot member, although close,  I know for a fact that wmz would not like to know the last half of my lumber has come from Cooks' with far less breaks,  there have been a few as might be expected, but fewer for sure, I like the wmz's but have experienced too many breaks,  now I wait for all the orange team to tackle me down again, (tackle the man with the ball!)  I'm not afraid, nor careless, just want to gain the ground I can.    there's no shame is telling my story with a truthful testimony of my experience, as it relates to my  personal experiences,  david

If they break after 2 sharpens you going some thing wrong.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I have gotten "free" blades from several different manufacturers and they all performed very well.  Some better than others, but no real complaints with any of them.

I use 10° WM blades so close to 100% that the difference does not matter.  Of course 75%+ of my sawing is SYP.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I really find the bands breaking after 1 or 2 sharpenings a little baffling!

I sharpen my own and I sometimes get as many as 12 sharpenings, but average 8.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

I've had the best luck with WM blades. Doublehards stay sharp longer than any other blades I have run. I have only tried a few other brands, the last brand I tried was Lennox C-sharps that they sent me a free trial of (I can't remember the forum members name that is a rep for them that sent them). They are a good blade, they don't hold an edge as long as the WM blades but the body is way more flexible, maybe they would last more sharpenings. I don't have serious brand loyalty, if someone makes a better blade for the money I don't have a problem running it on my WM mill. I'd be glad to, but right now my mill has a WM blade on the wheels ;)
Too many irons in the fire

WH_Conley

I usually get a box of 10 blades at a time. Seems like the WM will break a couple at the 3rd sharpening, the rest will go about 8 sharpening s. I just threw 3 blades away because they were too narrow. If you set them they would go back on the wheel and take the set off one side.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!