iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost a neighbor yesterday-house fire

Started by pineywoods, January 16, 2019, 10:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Lost a next door neighbor in a house fire yesterday. 92 year old ww2 vet lived alone with 2 dogs, back off the road a ways. The house was completely engulfed in flames when a passerby called the fire dept. His body was found face down in the middle of the room. Apparently made no effort to call for help (he wore a medical alert) or escape. Both doors to the outside were locked. Looks like portable electric space heater may have been involved. Two dogs were found at his side. Both mature yellow labs. Cold weather, lots of aux heaters. Y'all be careful out there.

Addendum  Sadly, the house he built himself several years back using all cypress lumber from my mill. I had just 2 days ago delivered a load of firewood, but it looks like wood heat was not being used at the time. Big question still un-answered is why no call for help or attempt to exit the building. Happened about 2 pm..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Wow, always sad to hear about such things, Piney!

Sorry for your loss of a good friend, condolences sent!

Be careful out there, especially with auxiliary heating devices!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Old Greenhorn

Very sorry to read this Piney. Not only is this hard on family and friends, but it is tough work for the responding Fire and EMS personnel. When I was a firefighter not too long ago, we would have these from time to time and it always stuck with me for quite a while. Smoke alarms save lives, there is no doubt about it. I wish everyone would keep that in mind and keep theirs up to date. The worst one I recall was a mother and her 8 year old, one of my first jobs when I joined. Tore me apart. You can only do that job for so long before it changes you. Sorry for your loss.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

samandothers

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Ianab

Fire service are big on smoke alarms here. 

Wont save your house, but hopefully wakes you up in time to escape. If you are asleep, the smoke will get you before you even wake up.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Ianab on January 16, 2019, 06:36:01 PM
Wont save your house, but hopefully wakes you up in time to escape. If you are asleep, the smoke will get you before you even wake up.
This made me think and I realized I never responded or worked a fatal fire that had working smoke detectors. Put another way, EVERY fatal fire I worked had no working smoke detectors. Let that sink in.
 Now I have responded to many incidents of false automatic alarms and folks who called in because their smoke detector or CO alarm "was making a sound" only to find out they had dead batteries or defective units (way out of useful life date). Nobody minds these calls because a) nobody died, and b) it provides a solid teaching moment for the homeowner to learn why these are important and how to maintain them. (we do object to repeated multiple calls to the same residence or business because the alarm company does not properly service the equipment.) My department would buy, install, and give detectors to anyone who asked if they could not afford them.
 Its one of the reasons hearing of a tragedy like this makes me so upset. It is, very much, a senseless loss. So very sad.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

low_48

Rough way to go, but at 92, he lived a long life. Hope he didn't suffer too badly.

Ljohnsaw

Perhaps he had suffered a heart attack or stroke and knocked the heater over.  He may have already been dead before the fire and did not suffer from the fire. :-\  That's what it sounds like with the dogs found by his side.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

jdonovan

to add what old greenhorn said. I've learned a few things in the fire service too

Seatbelts
Smoke Alarms
Sprinklers

Amazing devices, that really make a difference when used properly.

Rebarb

Very sad to hear and actually hits home, I can relate. 

Lost my beloved dogs in a house fire, happened so fast I simply couldn't find them and only had minutes to get out.

Sorry to hear and may God help heal the hurt.

Sixacresand

Pineywoods, Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend-neighbor and his dogs.  I know you are still in shock at the news and will miss him.  Praying for you and his family.  

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

samandothers

Rebarb, sorry you lost your home and pets.  Fires are devastating.

Roxie

We lost a friend to a house fire.  She was my age and her autopsy showed she died of smoke inhalation.  Then, in rapid succession, two more fires and two more deaths, all in the span of a month. 

My heart goes out to you. 
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!