iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost two good friends to ticks yesterday.

Started by LeeB, June 05, 2008, 03:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

We lost two of our cats to bob cat disease yesterday. This stuff is spread by ticks. Bob cats are the host, but not effected by the disease. The disease is fatal to house cats with little or no hope for cure. By the time symtoms apear it is too late. This stuff is a horrible way for your pets to die. It attacks the blood and eats it up. Please protect your pets.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

Thanks, never heard of it.

Condolences on your losing your friends.  It's real, isn't it.  :)

Raider Bill

I use drops and a tick collar on my little dog still she picks them up. Don't know what else to do. I check her all the time each day.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Larry

Kathy uses Frontline on both the dogs and cats.  Don't know if it will prevent disease but it sure kills the ticks.  Might check with your vet.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Maybe, if it is like Lyme disease, the infection or transmission depends upon
the tick staying attached a while.  Can I slather on a little Front Line, too?

Naw, don't need it.  The city drained me dry already.  The ticks will starve
before they could infect me.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

beenthere

In an article I read
http://www.moggies.co.uk/articles/tick_disease.html

it talks of the disease the cats get from the ticks that carry it from the bobcats.

Also, it mentions that cats cannot have the same tick medicine that is used on dogs (something about cats being more sensitive). Just thought I'd mention that... :)

Phil
Let us know how the frontline works... :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

Bill, the Doc recommends Advantage for controlling ticks on Cats, and says that flea collars are just about worthless.

Most of the over-the-counter products do not have any residual effect, and most pyrethin type products serve to provide your pet with a low dose of poison.

Frontline works best on more oily coated animals, because it's fat soluable.  Advantage is water soluable, and works best on cats and non-oily coated dogs such as collies and dry coated, fluffier animals.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LeeB

According to the vet, the cat can still get the disease even with the use of a tick control. The tick can still bite before it dies.
We have two more cats missing in action today. I suspect they are victems also. We've had some of these cats for many years. It's like losing a part of the family.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Cedarman

I suppose the upside is that it wipes out feral cats.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SamB

My old dogs, 9 yr old lab & 15 yr old golden retrv, have been on brewers yeast w/garlic supplements for over 5 years and in that period of time I've not found a flea or tick on either one. They take the pills like they're getting a treat, it's a daily routine, was reccomended by a relative from Tennessee per their vets advice. Only side effect is when one of the dogs passes gas it can clear a room :D

thecfarm

Sorry to hear of your loss.
I use front line too.Like food there is differant food for cats and dogs and differant flea and tick treatment.But we don't have alot of tick problem yet.My FIL has a fit when he comes up here.He kinda lives where there are alot of houses,5 minutes from a city.I live out in the boonies.He checks the dog everytime he come up.He founds more ticks on his wife,himself and dog where he lives than I ever have here.He has more ticks than I do.I check my dog when I go see him more so than I check my dog and cat here.I think it just depends on where you live.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MrMoo

jim king

My wife helps street dogs and the other day she brought one home that had thousands of ticks on it and it died before she could get it hooked up to IV´s.  It simply had no blood left.

Toolman

I've had good success with frontline on my black lab. She runs through some high tick areas and have'nt found any on her since. I also keep a large container of garlic near her food dish and sprinkle her food once or twice a week. I've found after 60 days it's time to reapply frontline.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

LeeB

Some good news. One of the MIA's turned up this afternoon.

Thank You Sponsors!