iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Framed Shop Plans

Started by MosbyD, October 21, 2019, 11:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MosbyD

I would love to build my own shop. I have a existing 30x30 concrete pad. How do you go about getting plans made. Timber framing isn't a thing around here it's always a stick frame and metal siding. I'm planning on buying my own mill and sawing all of my materials out of trees off of my farm. 
The timber on it is red oak and hickory. Would I be foolish to build out of these two species?
Also can you us the metal straps for the joints or do you have to have the Tenon and mortise joints?
Ok sorry for the long post and all the questions but thanks in advance. 

Ljohnsaw

If you are using metal plates to join the pieces, it is traditionally called "post and beam" as opposed to "timber frame" which is typically mortise and tenon.

Lots of folks hear don't like to cut hickory and call it the smiley_devil wood.  Oak should be ok depending on the species.  Just harder to cut than pine.

Update your profile so where know where you are and can see if snow load might be a issue.  Are you required to have a permit to build?  You could draw your own plans but they may need to have an engineer's stamp to build.  Are you allowed to use your own cut wood to build?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

MosbyD

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 22, 2019, 01:20:02 AM
If you are using metal plates to join the pieces, it is traditionally called "post and beam" as opposed to "timber frame" which is typically mortise and tenon.

Lots of folks hear don't like to cut hickory and call it the smiley_devil wood.  Oak should be ok depending on the species.  Just harder to cut than pine.

Update your profile so where know where you are and can see if snow load might be a issue.  Are you required to have a permit to build?  You could draw your own plans but they may need to have an engineer's stamp to build.  Are you allowed to use your own cut wood to build?
I don't think snow load is a problem here, but we do get a few snows a year so that would need to be considered. Far as a permit don't need one I live out in the country. And I'm aloud to us my own lumber. Around here as long as the tax man gets to tax what you build that's all they care to know about it. 
As we say around here "I'm as green as a gourd" on all this but not afraid of learning it. I'm a "planer" when it comes to new stuff. This isn't happening in the next few months. I have a lot to learn on the milling before I jump on my shop. Just would like to tap into the knowledge available here. 

Hilltop366

Timber frame and post and beam typically have a load at several points to the foundation where a stud frame wall will spread the load over the entire length of the wall.

The first thing to figure out is will the existing concrete pad handle the load of the post?

Thank You Sponsors!