iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Arch Wheels

Started by Night Raider, October 27, 2009, 05:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Raider

I'm looking at welding up a log arch and thinking about wheels.  The other threads I've looked at everyone seems to use old car hubs and bearings.  I don't happen to have any of those lying around, but I was wondering if anyone had used wheelbarrow type tires with a 3/4" shaft.  I was thinking of using a wide oversized wheel like that, bus wasn't sure if anyone else had used them in similar situations, I know standard wheelbarrow tires are rated for somewhere around 600 lbs, but I don't know about the bigger wheels.

any comments are appreciated
Thanks

beenthere

Trailer size wheels and hubs might be just as reasonable, and carry more weight. 4 x 12 4-bolt wheel and tire run about $50, and add the hubs. Could look up some in SurplusCenter to check for sure, but about $25 and $11 for 1" spindle.

Wheelbarrow might work, but seems a little light for much of a log.

You didn't mention the size of log you would plan to arch out. Side pressure (tire/rim laying over) would be of most concern, I'd think. Not the verticle weight.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jander3

I went to the junkyard and picked up two VW hubs (sealed bearings, just weld them on the arch) and the spare tire out of the back of two vehicles.  About $30.   

I have a log arch Jr which uses wheel barrow type wheels.  This works well for logs below 400 pounds.  When you put the heavy stuff on this, you can see the flex pretty good.

Ironwood

Make sure they are STIFF, loads of torque happening back there. I liek skidloader tires, also spare tire donuts would likely be good.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

pasbuild

I used the hubs and wheels off of a straight axle from some kind of mini van, neighbor just gave it to me.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

RSteiner

There use to be a bunch of Dodge minivans in the experienced car parts lots, probably many have been crushed for scrap metal when the price was up there.  You can unbolt the rear axle spindles from a Dodge minivan very easily. 

I got the whole tire, hub, spindle assembly for less than $50.00 for the both of them.  I think it took me less than 45 minutes to remove them myself.

I don't think the 3/4" wheel barrow shaft will be strong enough for a good size log.  Plus, the wider the tire and the larger the tire daimeter will make pulling the arch and log payload so much easier over soft or uneven ground.

I went from 205/75-15 tires on my arch to a set of worn out set super swampers I came across.  What a difference the extra height and width makes in the woods. 

Randy
Randy

trapper

my stepson used wheels from the dodge minivan  for my arch also.  they have a good platform to bolt the main frame to.   
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Dakota

northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company sell "stub axles" that can be welded on to any frame you build for your arch.  They come with 4 or 5 hole hubs to fit into a round or square tube.  For tires, I went with snowmachine trailer tires.

Dave Rinker

Thank You Sponsors!