iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tenon Cutter for Drill

Started by firefighter ontheside, April 03, 2021, 08:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Anybody using one of these?  I bought one off of FB marketplace today.  It will handle a 4" diameter log and cuts a 1 1/2" tenon.  It has an adjustment to set the length of the tenon.  The guy had another one for 2" tenons, but he was asking new price for it.  If I want a bigger one, I will buy a new one.  Trouble is I don't have a drill big enough for it.  I may be able to use my dad's milwaukee angle drill, but it may not be ideal either.  I may just buy a cheapie from Harbor Freight to use with it.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

You can get a strong Makita one. I've had to to make dowels. They even have a strong Makita battery one.

Testing The Most Powerful Cordless Drill on AMAZON - YouTube

This Cordless Drill Accessory Is AMAZING!!! - YouTube
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: doc henderson on April 03, 2021, 11:44:55 PM
any pics?  I use Lee Valley ones

What up Benches? in General Woodworking (forestryforum.com)
I added a pic of the one I bought.  It also has a little level on it to make sure you are drilling straight.  It is made by a company called Bosworth that sells log home supplies.  The cutter I bought was over $300 on their site, so I thought $90 was a good price to pay.  He had another one that was a 2" veritas from lee valley.  He wanted $90 for that one too, but it appears that is about new price, so I passed.  If I want a 2" I'll just buy new.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

I have several like you show. For larger tenons I have the Logman Tenon Maker as shown recently in a pic in a thread where the OP was making pine log furniture. It uses a router and much better device overall IMO than the drill type. Gives you more control and size adjustments too.
Whatcha making?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

firefighter ontheside

@kantuckid I will definitely be making some benches like Doc makes with waste slabs.  Aside from that, I don't know yet.  This one came up on FB marketplace and I had to buy it.  I need to mill some leg type stock to use with it.  It just now occurs to me that I milled a 4x4 out of elm and its just been sitting out by the mill.  I will cut that into some shorter lenght pieces and set aside until needed.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

On my benches I turn the leg tenons on my wood lathe. Made several recently, one a coffee table size others smaller. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!