iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Larch vs hemlock vs eastern pine

Started by bulldozerjoe, April 05, 2021, 09:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldozerjoe

Once I get my mill I want to build a 20x30 garage and two 10x12 sheds.
All the lumber I saw will be used for the projects. Board and batten siding, plus the framing.. I've got a farmi winch on my tractor... I've only got eastern pine behind the house.. the rest is maple, beech, ash, cherry.. what would you guys suggest I do... just use the eastern pine for everything... or buy a tri axel of hemlock or larch... I know I can get a load of hemlock for 1250.. the whole point of me buying a mill was to use the wood off my land.. but I don't wAnt to sacrifice the integrity of the building by using the pine if it's unsuitable .. any suggestions guys thanks in advance.. my mill won't show up until augest so I've got time to ponder.. thanks
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000
Sthil 021-028super-029-066

thecfarm

I have a lot of EWP too. 
Seem like thicker is better with EWP. A 2x8 is stronger than a 4x4 or something like that. I plan on building a garage this summer. Hope it works out. I do have some hemlock. Might use that for the headers over the doors. I plan on 16 inch on center instead of 24.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moodnacreek

In heavy w. pine areas people used it for everything. The courser hemlock and larch are  more resistance to carpenter bees.

bulldozerjoe

New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000

Satamax

If you can get good larch.  That's a good wood. 

Nearly all of what we have in the mountains where i live. Carreful, they tend to be rather conical. I saw it with a mixture of diesel, washing up liquid and water. Otherwise the pitch sticks to the blades like mad. Guillaume, a friend, tells me, that every 3 to 5 larch, he throws a spruce, or an ash log onto the saw. 

Very good for siding too. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

tacks Y

I would go for hemlock over pine for studs and rafters. IMO it is stronger. I like pine for all my siding, less cracking. I have not used/sawn larch. Wish I had larch for siding.

Don P

The main problem with EWP is the knot structure. Each year they throw a spray of limbs from one point, then 2-3' of clear wood, then another complet whorl of knots. If the trees are large enough and woods grown then sawing lumber from the side where smaller isolated knots in the lumber can be used with no problem. If you see large sections of knots in one area compromising more than 1/3 of the cross section of a stick use that for blocking or other non structural uses. EWP is a weaker species also so it needs to be sized according to its strength. As cfarm said, deeper creates strength in bending, that 2x8 is almost twice as strong in bending compared to a 4x4.

thecfarm

Quote from: Don P on April 07, 2021, 07:51:47 AM
  As cfarm said, deeper creates strength in bending, that 2x8 is almost twice as strong in bending compared to a 4x4.
Glad Don P saw this, because he was the one that posted that about the deeper part.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

EWP should work OK
My ADK camp is mostly WP.
The rafters are 17' 2x6s 0n 16" ctrs, with collar ties at 7' height on the second floor.
12/12 pitch and gets a real heavy snow load that often doesnt come off until it warms up
Been there since 1987 and no probs.
If you are in a carpenter bee area if you use it exposed they will love it, dont seem to bother hemlock.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

barbender

Larch is strong stuff if you have trees that will make decent lumber. With eastern larch, my experience has been that the logs will either produce great lumber, or horrible- wit no in between. Larch has a lot of stress in it, if a tree has heavy spiral grain, heavy taper (especially the root flare) or sweep, it's better off as firewood or blocking. If you saw through a heavy root flare, you can often watch the boards coming off curl right up to match the shape of the flare. Be selective with your logs and it will give you nice lumber, it would be my choice for rafters.
Too many irons in the fire

bulldozerjoe

New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000

tacks Y

I have used maple and beech for rafters also. Just do not wait to long to nail down.

Thank You Sponsors!