iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northwest Ohio Tree ID *Spring Update

Started by DWyatt, January 14, 2019, 08:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWyatt

This tree is in Dad's woods, up at the front by the road. It's about 24" DBH and very straight with little taper.

Here's a close up of the bark

Here's a bit further away.

And here's one of the branch structure. The middle/right side of the picture is the tree in question.

I told dad, this summer when the leaves come on we're going around and IDing trees in his woods since we always cut down in the winter and are always questioning what we're cutting.  Thanks in advance!

Al_Smith

DelawhereJoe

The bark kinda reminds me of yellow poplar .
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DWyatt

It's definitely not white oak, all the white oak in that woods are swamp oak and 3-5' in diameter and the bark & branch structure is distinctively different.

Dad and I have our fingers crossed that it is poplar of some sort, I thought the bark looked similar to tulip poplar but I wasn't completely sure.

catalina

Jeff

Looks like northern red oak bark to me. Here is one out of m yard roughly the same size.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

:D With so many "local" terms for an oak and possibly several hundred miles from one picture to another it's about as simple as trouble shooting a chainsaw over the internet .What in the world is a swamp oak anyway ? BTW Jeffs' red oak and my red oak don't have the same bark . 

Al_Smith

Just to add if it's northwest Ohio the whole area at one time was swamp .So with that any oak might be considered as "swamp" oak .Those eastern giants that grew in the great black swamp were some of the largest oaks ever grown on this planet  .

DWyatt

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 14, 2019, 12:46:16 PM
:D With so many "local" terms for an oak and possibly several hundred miles from one picture to another it's about as simple as trouble shooting a chainsaw over the internet .What in the world is a swamp oak anyway ? BTW Jeffs' red oak and my red oak don't have the same bark .
Here's a link from ODNR website on Swamp Oak.
http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/swampwhiteoak

For what it's worth, I have never seen a red oak in Dad's woods, only white oak (swamp white oak). Also, the comparable sized red oak in my woods doesn't have the deep ridges that this tree has and it has a different branch structure. I'm trying to get better at identifying trees but sometimes it all comes through as gobbledygook :D :P

DWyatt

I'll have to get a picture of the biggun in Dad's woods, too close to the road to ever take down but I would guess it's somewhere between 5-6' DBH and 60' to the first branch, a true marvel to me.

Jeff

There are many sub species under the label of Red Oak. Mine is a northern red oak.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

These are white oaks .Wow I kept my cool for once and got-er-done   8)

chestnut

WDH

From the close up bark pic sure does look like chestnut oak, a white oak.  Quercus montana.

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DWyatt

Hmm now I am more confused. What throws me off is the "breaks" in the bark that run horizontal, breaking up the vertical bark "runs". Also, what throws me that I haven't really seen before is the distinctive grey/white in the valleys of the bark. Maybe we'll just have to cut it down for scientific research. :)

WDH

Or you could wait and get a leaf :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

I'd probably wait for the leaf myself rather than trip a tree for sport .Think about it .In Ohio hard woods it would take over 100 years to get a 24"  diameter tree .Those 36-40 inch white oaks I pictured likely 200 years .

A few years ago I had to take down a wind damaged red oak that was a tad over 4 feet and 118 feet tall shot with a laser to verify .I counted 278 rings dating back before the revolutionary war .

DelawhereJoe

The tulip/yellow poplar will get that silver in the valley of the bark, you may be able to find some of the flower/seed clusters still on the tree or on the ground around it.

DelawhereJoe

BuckeyeAaron

My first reaction was black walnut based on the first picture.  Definitely not red, white, or chestnut oak and that bark I'd awfully dark to be tuliptree.  Could be black gum perhaps as its bark has the ability to look a little like everything else.  On what kind of site/soils is the tree growing?  To confirm walnut, take a pocket knife and shave the outer bark.  The inner bark should be a chocolate brown color.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

WDH

Actually the chocolate brown is still the outer bark.  If you go through the brown part and into the inner bark that is functioning phloem (transport of sugars from photosynthesis, the inner bark is a bright sulfur yellow.

WDH

If it is an oak, yellow poplar, or walnut, all we need is a twig with buds.  Oaks have a cluster of buds at the twig tip.  Yellow poplar has a bud shaped like a duckbill with two distinct halves called a valvate bud.  Also, the stipular scars completely encircle the twig whereas in oak and walnut, there are not even barely visible and do not encircle the twig.  You can split the pith in the walnut twig, and the pith will be chambered with very distinct black dividers. 

Hewer of Wood

Looks like it could possibly be cottonwood?
1997 Timber Harvester 1967 Pettibone Super 8 and too much sawdust. Joshua 9:21

DWyatt

To all, I will stop by the woods tonight and I know there is a cluster of 4 or 5 of these trees that are all together with a couple 8-12" trees with the larger two. Maybe I'll be able to get a twig off of one of the smaller trees with the pole pruner. I will keep you posted.

BuckeyeAaron

Quote from: WDH on January 17, 2019, 07:58:46 AM
Actually the chocolate brown is still the outer bark.  If you go through the brown part and into the inner bark that is functioning phloem (transport of sugars from photosynthesis, the inner bark is a bright sulfur yellow.
Correct. Poor terminology on my part.  I should have said "the inside/interior of the outer bark."
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

Thank You Sponsors!