iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Screw Jacks

Started by surfsupinhawaii, March 26, 2007, 07:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfsupinhawaii

I have a few questions about the use of screw jacks under floor girders. In my plans it calls for 3 lally columns under the floor girder. I was looking at the simpson jack piers and wondering if they would be better than some of the screw jacks I have seen offered. If I am understanding it correctly the screw jacks are rated higher vertical load than the simpson JP, but all of the screw jacks I have seen are not engineered so I am not sure that I could use them under my girder. I am not familiar with jack screws and wondering about the use of them for just the girder support. The plans call for a lally column to sit on a 36''x36''x12'' pad. The house has a perimeter foundation, with crawlspace. The screw jacks look like they would be easier to adjust and install for the girder. Has anyone used them in this way and did they drill then use epoxy to anchor the bolts to the pad  :)or would you place the anchor bolts in the concrete and pour them in place. I can add to this if it does not make any sense. Thanks for the help :)

Don P

Are we talking about a basement floor girder supported on masonry walls and then columns? I'm lost as to why they need adjusting after installation. The typical adjustable steel basement post we use is installed screw down and cast into the slab. They could be installed screw up if needed although I have been required to weld them fixed before in that orientation. Here I have to have a code approved post or engineering. More info?

surfsupinhawaii

Thanks Don, the more I thought about the screw jack the more I figured it would not work for my application. Thanks a lot for the reply :)

jpgreen

Have you guys seen this companies products?:

http://www.ellisok.com/ellisok/index.html

They seem to have reasonable prices also..  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Thank You Sponsors!