iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NZ Pine Trees

Started by Ianab, January 15, 2003, 11:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Here's a few pictures of pine trees we are currently lift pruning.
These trees are 6 years old and a little overdue for a 2nd prune.

After pruning to between 4 and 5 metres.

Trees in next door plantation, aged approx 15 years. these have previously been lift pruned to 5 to 6 meters and will be ready to harvest in another 15 years

A 60 year old pine tree, untended on the same site. Just a candidate for 'ugliest log' competition

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Weekend_Sawyer

Nice pictures, do you have any of the pruning operation?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ianab

Don,
Species is pinus radiata, I believe it's known as Monterey pine in the US. The trees we use here have been selectively bred for about 100 years to improve the growth and form so it is a very different tree to the original. Seedlings are produced from fertilising selected trees with selected pollen, from cuttings and now by cloning. These pines account for about 90% of NZ forestry and I believe about 5% of the country is now planted in them.

Sawyer,
Haven't got any photo's of the pruning at the moment, I'm up in the tree!!!  It's done manually using a 2 meter ladder, loppers and a hand saw. Will need a taller ladder for final prune. Also use a small chainsaw for heavier bottom branches and thinning out reject trees. Will see if I can get an assistant on the camera one day.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tillaway

For some reason Radiata grows well down there and Chile as well. I will see it over near the beach around here and it certainly doesn't look like that.  It has landscape value but that is it.

I would like to see your Doug Fir that the Kiwi's plant.  They get something like a 25 year rotation, makes a bunch of Oregonians tremble when they hear that.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Thank You Sponsors!