iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Medical Marijuana ??

Started by Magicman, October 24, 2020, 08:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

For me this is a medical question, not political, so please, medical related only.

The Medical Marijuana option is on our November ballot and I will have to admit that I am "sheltered" regarding the pros/cons?  I have no idea whether or not there is any medical benefit but the hype seems to be that there is.  I do understand that many of our medicines are plant derived.

Do patients have to smoke it or is the beneficial whatever extracted and put into pill form?  Anyway is this good, bad, or worse?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

square1

Medical Marijuana use is legit. Many medical marijuana users are not. Here it paved the way for recreational marijuana, which miraculously cured many medical marijuana patients.

sprucebunny

It's legal in both Maine and NH. Can be smoked but often the oil is 'extracted' and made into eatable things.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

kantuckid

As one of millions of folks with a worn out back (lumbar) , I have serious back pain.
 In that CBD is commonly discussed, especially in my state of KY where there are now marijuana related farm operations but not much public tolerance for the drug itself among the older population it remains controversial, etc..
Given that I am a borderline asthmatic I don't want to smoke anything, medical or not. 
I tried to research CBD online to see if it held promise for my own pain. What I found was that there was very little bonified research from reputable study sources that said it worked. I'm certainly not a medical person in any of my careers but as a retired educator I very much know how to research a subject. 
Medical marijuana vs. CBD is unclear to me as to what one might expect differently from each? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Magicman

Googling CBN and/or CBD will send you down a "rabbit hole".  smiley_dizzy  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I believe there are some benefits, but most users believe it's a cure all even when they have no health issue to begin with. I say most, simply because anyone I have ran across will say so, whether they believe it or not. It is legal in Canada, but get caught with it behind a wheel and you're in for a battle. It's hard to test for, as to when you actually used it before you were driving, because it lingers for days or weeks in your system. And there is 0 tolerance. Just recently, they raided an illegal grow op locally. You're only allowed so many plants and need a grow license.

I've never touched it, I don't want anything that alters my sense of reality, where I might become vulnerable to some devious act.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

cant speak too much for Medical Marijuana as I only tried it once, didnt like it and didnt inhale.
I have used CBD with mixed results, sometimes seems to work other times no so much
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

barbender

Haha Pete that's a good one😉 It is tough to get down to the brass tacks on anything "medical marijuana" related, because IMO most of the proponents are thinly veiled recreational marijuana users that just want pot legalized. I have heard some promising stories about children that had seizures getting relief, etc. I think the medical field needs to do more research on it.
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

There are products that have the medicinal effect, without getting you high. There seems to be some opposition to that by some of those that are seeking medicinal marijuana.  ;) :D Recreational is legal here, as is growing your own. I don't really know myself what the effects might be. If I say I'm hitting the hard stuff, it just means I got a Red Bull instead of a Diet Dr. Pepper.  :D

I have heard some legit stories to back up the medical use of marijuana. I know of a Green Beret who was severely injured, in fact, died and was revived twice while being evacuated to a hospital, who has used it to great effect. Long story short, he was basically incapacitated by the opiates he was on, and was either going to commit suicide, or simply die from the drugs themselves. He dropped the opiates and started using various forms of marijuana and is now able to have a reasonably functional life. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Sedgehammer

I've tried the oil for back pain, no help. 
I tried candies with THC didn't help and gave me spasms.

My wife gets patients all the time wanting a medical card to raise a few plants, so she asks them why they need it and they start hee hawing with excuses. Many young adults. She won't issue unless there's a definite need. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

kantuckid

Maybe I'm trending this thread down the rabbit hole of public opinion, BUT, I have a neighbor/friend ~ 71 now, he buys every TV "cure" that comes along. I know I'll step on toes here now but some of his miracles are Blue Emu and Tommie Copper this and thats. 
Some time ago I was unable to find research that supported either Blue Emu or the Australian Cream so called fixes.
Honestly speaking they tick me off as the newspapers and TV is full of stuff that has no studies that show they work. Meanwhile about two years ago we had an Amish guy who was selling a slave for muscle aches, so forth and the feds actually took the man to court and convicted him of what I'll call false medical advertising. makes you want to scream?
 Most orthopedic docs and chiro's sell the cold sprays which definitely treat symptoms but short lived pain killers. They use them on me often for my nice little knee injection to deaden the insertion. 
I had a kid in my platoon once who was a pothead, through and through and he was "creating his own religion as it were. He'd get high(like he wasn't always high? :D) and get out his legal pad and... ::) I'll stop there so as to avoid offending anyone here by further describing what he was doing. I will say that he probably wasn't feeling any pain much of each day?
Hold back the "killing your kidneys" comments but for me ibuprofen is the true save the day stuff. I take less than allowed but more than I would like too!
I also keep gel type cold packs in the freezer ready to go, plus a nice heating pad for my sciatica friend. 

kantuckid

Quote from: Sedgehammer on October 24, 2020, 12:46:38 PM

My wife gets patients all the time wanting a medical card to raise a few plants, so she asks them why they need it and they start hee hawing with excuses. Many young adults. She won't issue unless there's a definite need.
My wife was once a mental health counselor for a regional agency with an office located within our local hospital owned & operated rural medical clinic. Fairly often a person who'd just tried to score some pain pills from the doc next door and fail,  would then find her, asking for the same stuff. I remember one guy told her his feet were hurting and she advised him she was limited to the head & brain, something like that... :D

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Sedgehammer on October 24, 2020, 12:46:38 PM

Is she a nurse or doctor? I thought only doctors cold sign off on something like that? 

bluthum

It can for sure be a legitimate pain killer. Older than me fellow I know got off opiates for his pain via weed. It's legal here for medicine and I've not seen any problems with it being medically legal. I voted to legalize it in Arkansas and it was. 

Also many people find relief from nausea while taking chemotherapy. Nausea seems like no biggie until you really get a good dose of it, anybody that needs marijuana for that should not be denied. Apparently smoking it is immediate relief while pill forms of  THC are less effective I hear. 

Supposedly the Mexican cartels are unhappy because the domestic price of illegal weed has fallen. Also it's my understanding that opiate prescriptions/use falls in states where it's legal. Good enough reasons there if factual.  My opinion is it should be federally decriminalized, it would free up lots of enforcement money for bigger threat crimes. IMHOP.

As for CBD for pain I think that's questionable.

beav

It has been an effective medicinal for thousands of years. However you can grow it (get it for nothing) therefore the k street lobbyist gang will fight to keep it illegal

Gary_C

Quote from: bluthum on October 24, 2020, 04:22:16 PM
  My opinion is it should be federally decriminalized, it would free up lots of enforcement money for bigger threat crimes. 
Not in any way a good idea. I watched while my grandson started on that *DanG weed and graduated to other addictive hard drugs and the whole family went thru hell getting him off that crap. So I would never vote to allow an easy legal start to that horrible process.

Would you hire a Pothead?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

mike_belben

I was a chronic pothead by 7th grade and done by 11th, but a LOT of people i grew up with went to the needle and it killed em.  I know quite a few people that i DONT want around if they havent got their weed.  Really high strung people mellow out a lot.  My friends dad used to give himself ulcers out of hate and rage.. We finally got him on the peace pipe and he was a different person immediately.  A tolerable one.  Sadly died of stage 4 cancer shortly after.  

If you cant sleep, go find a joint.  You will sleep like a baby.

Drugs dont have a chain of start and finish that one must graduate to and from.  You can start at heroin or shooting meth, its just how it is.  Everyones life and surroundings are different.  Hanging out with a car full off potheads will probably involve other drugs being around but you dont have to do them.  I only did the stuff i wanted.  The problem is people running from their problems who want to do them all.

Never accept opiate based prescription drugs.  Ive lost some loved ones to genuine scripts for genuine injury that spin out of control.  Wonderful people, very sad.  In the ground now.  

No idea about CBD.  I got plenty of pain but just hope to endure it with god's  grace and mercy.  I really dont even take aspirin or naproxen anymore.  When it never goes away is easier than when it comes and goes for me. I was born with a fused spine so i cant remember it not hurting. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Btw im from massachusetts which legalized weed and i know many growers.  It actually creates some job options.  The local supply of weed probably wont change much if legalized.  The difference is the money from your state that always has and always will go to pot literally, doesnt have to all go to a foreign cartel anymore.  With legalization a lot more money stays home because there is now domestic weed competing against the imported gang stuff. and the quality of the weed around gets better too because you can grow it on your balcony now and not have a clandestine compromise. The quality of the people involved gets better and they arent lacing their stuff with bad news or cutting it with oregano either.  Because its legal they are taking credit for its quality.  Illegal drugs are the ones that kill you. Theyre cut down with anything that looks similar or laced with fentanyl or whatever.  

A side benefit is less dummies to pay for in prison or clog up your courts.  Yeah, youll have slightly more pothead morons around to annoy you.  Im not for getting high but no one will ever stop that culture.  The harder you try the more itll cost you, and the moms and dads and spouses of loved ones who go into the prison system at level 2 and end up trapped into level 3s and 4s where bad bad bad things happen.  Prohibition really ends in heartache and tax hikes. 
Praise The Lord

Ricker

Had a buddy doing chemo for pancreatic cancer.  Sick as a dog for 2 months, lost 60 pounds cause he was so nauseated.  He got a medical card and was a different person.  As it usually does the cancer got him, but the weed improved his quality of life for a year before the end.  That sold me as to whether people should use it.  I have known many a pot smoker and just as many drunks and would hire a smoker over a drunk every day of the week.

goose63

To me its up to you just not at my place just cant stand the smell of it burning real bad stinky stuff 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on October 24, 2020, 05:26:20 PM
Btw im from massachusetts which legalized weed and i know many growers.  It actually creates some job options.  The local supply of weed probably wont change much if legalized.  The difference is the money from your state that always has and always will go to pot literally, doesnt have to all go to a foreign cartel anymore.  With legalization a lot more money stays home because there is now domestic weed competing against the imported gang stuff. and the quality of the weed around gets better too because you can grow it on your balcony now and not have a clandestine compromise. The quality of the people involved gets better and they arent lacing their stuff with bad news or cutting it with oregano either.  Because its legal they are taking credit for its quality.  Illegal drugs are the ones that kill you. Theyre cut down with anything that looks similar or laced with fentanyl or whatever.  

A side benefit is less dummies to pay for in prison or clog up your courts.  Yeah, youll have slightly more pothead morons around to annoy you.  Im not for getting high but no one will ever stop that culture.  The harder you try the more itll cost you, and the moms and dads and spouses of loved ones who go into the prison system at level 2 and end up trapped into level 3s and 4s where bad bad bad things happen.  Prohibition really ends in heartache and tax hikes.
As a non smoker I'd have to agree with all of this and @ricker as well.  Legalize it and we get rid of so much of our prison population and court cases.  More income, more legal jobs, more tax income.   If it helps some folks deal with chronic pain I'm fine with that.
Liking Walnut

Larry

I was in Hawaii during most of my service time from 1969 - 73.  In Hawaii pot use was common among both civilians and GI's.  It was illegal, but nobody ever got busted unless it was in conjunction with some other illegal activity.  Funny I never heard of anybody using it for medical reasons.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ianab

Here in NZ it was a referendum issues in last weeks National election. To basically legalise pot. 

If that passes it will be legal to sell with a licence and age restrictions, similar to alcohol. Or grow a handful of plants for you own use. Legal commercial growers need a licence and pay tax on their sales, again similar to alcohol.  What you buy commercially will have a tested TCH content, same as when you buy booze. 

Argument to the "It leads to worse drugs". If Pot is illegal, then you have to buy it from an illegal dealer, who probably has access to worse drugs. "Hey, try this instead..." Illegal dealers don't do age checks, they are already breaking the law, so what the heck. 

If you are buying a pack of pot gummy bears or brownies from the local pharmacy or bottle store you wont get offered illegal drugs. 

I did vote in favour, as there a worse things that cops  need to be chasing, I know lots of folks that are occasional pot users (and normal folks with regular jobs), and have a bit of nephropathy that I take drugs for. I'd give medical pot a try if it was cheap and legal.    
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Claybraker

A buddy's wife used to use it in the 90's for glaucoma. She got a medical grade product, and it was pretty good stuff.  :)  A quick google into the medical literature the patient would have to stay high all the time to be effective. Things like operating a vehicle would be out.

Found a few articles concerning new technology to detect impaired driving. There isn't an agreed standard on what level constitutes impaired. It remains detectable for days, weeks or longer in blood or urine.

Stephen1

Canada Legalized it. It does have medical benefits, it has been used for thousands of years as a medicine.  Why spend money on enforcement , put the money into education. 
Big pharma would rather you spend your money on thier prescriptions, some of the side effects I see advertised on TV scares the heck out me. 
Portugal legalized all drug use years ago, and put all the enforcement money into education against drug use from a young age. They are one of the few "western nations" that has a declining drug use among thier population. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!