iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cholesterol

Started by alan gage, October 28, 2020, 03:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan gage

I had my cholesterol levels checked for I believe the first time yesterday. I was very surprised to find out my numbers were way high (250 overall and 183 for LDL).

I'm 42 and weigh under 170 pounds at 6'1". I'm active from when I wake up to when I call it quits for the evening, usually around 8:00pm. Lots of walking at work and after work I'm either running the mill, working in the shop, building something, or working on the house or just going for a walk. Been busy with other projects lately so I've taken a break from walking but it's not uncommon that I walk 20+ miles/week just for enjoyment. I don't sit around much. One thing I haven't done much of in the last couple years is prolonged activities with an elevated heart rate.  

I'm a vegetarian who usually doesn't eat breakfast and rarely snacks between meals except I usually have a 16 oz bottle of sweet tea and regular sized candy bar after work to hold me over until my normal late dinner since I don't eat my last meal until I'm done working for the day.

Lunch is a "breakfast burrito" of eggs, potatoes, peppers, onions, and cheese along with a lightly sweetened coffee and cookie.

Dinner is a small egg salad sandwich and cup of fruit yogurt if I'm on the run or a bowl of lentils, quinoa or brown rice, and peas and carrots with some salt and olive oil if I'm cooking at home. There is usually some sort of sweet desert involved. Sometimes the equivalent of a candy bar and other times just a handful of raisins or a marshmallow or two.

I drink lots of water and usually a bottle of Kombucha or sweet tea during the summer and a cup or two of lightly sweetened hot tea in the winter.

I can be a bad boy though. On holidays or if I'm visiting someone and there are sweets available I'm not bashful and can really pack them away. And on the weekends I tend to splurge with waffles on Saturday morning and more than my usual amount of sweets through the day. For this reason you will not find sweets in my house as I wouldn't be able to stay away from them.

Despite being a vegetarian I don't get a lot of fresh fruit or vegetables.

So, for those of you that have gone through high cholesterol what have you found to have the most bang for the buck as far as getting it back under control? I'm thinking my normal lunch meal will need to change and that I should be better behaved on my weekends and find ways of more strenuous extended exercise. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Raider Bill

Stay away from Statins! Big side effects.

I use red yeast rice pills. Ancient Chinese secret lol.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sprucebunny

Some people just naturally have higher cholesterol. Some people might say that your egg habit was the culprit.

I've still never had mine checked.... mostly cause I don't eat that much of it and if it's high, I'm not going to take a drug for it.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sawguy21

You must have to step twice to make a shadow :D. I am 6' 1" at 235 which is heavier than I want to be but 170 sems to be pretty light. My cholesterol has been on the high side of normal for years but my doctor isn't worried about it, I try to eat what I like (which is pretty much everything) but in moderation and keep active. I saw her a couple of weeks ago, says I am cleared for another 100,000 but didn't specify miles or kilometers.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ljohnsaw

You don't mention your HDL level.  Been a while but my LDL the last time it was checked it was around 160?  Something just a tad high.  My problem was my HDL was really low.  I recall something about LDL/HDL ratio should be something better than 7:1.  I took statins for a while but that caused joint pain and only caused both to lower, not improving my ratio.  Did mega dose of Niacin for a while but that just raised both.  So now I just work hard on my cabin and lost some weight.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

doc henderson

well I no longer do private practice, so not in charge of treating high cholesterol.  some snacks have lots of cheap fats, like palm oil, and these can really drive the numbers up.  My brother did road construction and his am meal was a stop at a quick shop with coffee containing a packet of hot chocolate and artificial creamer.  his triglycerides were over 600.  Sounds like you are trim.  sounds like you are active.  If you told me your dad had an MI at age 50 and your mom had a stroke at age 50, I would be horrified.  if you weighed 350 pounds and also had hypertension and diabetes, I would be horrified.  So if all other things are ok, you are stuck with genetics, and the poss. of medication.  i would look close at your diet.  some think being a vegetarian will solve all health issues.  It is funny how some on the Atkins diet, actually get lower cholesterol levels.  did you fast as you were supposed to prior to the test?  total calories do not appear to be your issue (trim)  but I would look at the ingredients of the sweet stuff you mention.  If your parents and grandparent are healthy, I would be less worried.  good luck
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

alan gage

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm not really worried at this time but do want to try and keep it under control going forward. It did come as quite a surprise. What brought about this round of health checks was nearly blacking out twice when going from a kneeling to standing position. The events were 2 weeks apart and now it hasn't happened again in 1 1/2 months. Blood pressure was higher than normal but I'd had a coffee that morning and anytime in the past I'd had high pressure it was going to the doctor after coffee. All that has me more inclined to be proactive.

I seem to inherit most of my genetics from my dad who has always been in pretty good shape and has never had a cholesterol issue despite eating worse than me so hopefully this won't be a big deal. My mother is quite overweight but no heart issues on either side of the family. I've ranged from 164-174 my whole adult life but for sure the fat to muscle ratio has flip-flopped in the last 10 years.

So far there has been no mention of medication. Just try to eat better and check it again in 3 months.

For sure vegetarian doesn't always equal healthy. One of the reasons I finally jumped to the vegetarian ship about 7 years ago was because I was stuck in a food rut where I wasn't eating very healthy at all. Figured that would be one way to make me change my eating habits and it did a lot of good at first. But over the years I've grown less and less interested in cooking for myself and I moved farther away from work so I can't go home to eat lunch anymore and oftentimes I don't even get home at night until 8:00 or later so I find myself eating out more and more often which, in a small rural area, doesn't leave a lot of options for a vegetarian.

Since this doesn't seem to be a panic situation I think I'll try tweaking my eating habits rather than a complete overhaul. I can certainly cut out a lot of sweets and will try to do more cooking at home and less eating out. I'm loathe to give up eggs just yet because I really like them and they're such an easy source of protein. For starters I'll cut back a little and be careful how I eat them and what I eat them with.

The nurse on the phone didn't mention my HDL. I'm guessing I'll have another sit down with the doc when everything has been reviewed.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

doc henderson

eat a light breakfast like oatmeal (or grits)  with and egg or two.  make up some soup and package it for lunch,  then eat a healthy dinner.  you may be eating sweets to make up for being hungry after skipping meals ect.  everyone is different.  you said not too many snacks. but without fruit and veggies, sounds like a lot of eggs and sugar.  not that you asked for my opinion.  :) everything in moderation.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

alan gage

Quote from: doc henderson on October 29, 2020, 10:14:28 AM
eat a light breakfast like oatmeal (or grits)  with and egg or two.  make up some soup and package it for lunch,  then eat a healthy dinner.  you may be eating sweets to make up for being hungry after skipping meals ect.  everyone is different.  you said not too many snacks. but without fruit and veggies, sounds like a lot of eggs and sugar.  not that you asked for my opinion.  :) everything in moderation.
Good ideas. Through my life I've always had a tendency towards sweets. Once every couple years it finally gets out of control and I swear off sugar almost completely with no more cookies, ice cream, or desert of any kind. I'm always surprised, after my brain gets used to not expecting it after every meal, that I get along just fine and happily go without for a few months. I'll drop a few pounds and feel great and wonder why I ever thought I needed to eat all that extra sugar in the first place.
Then I'll sneak in a piece of cake for someone's birthday and a piece of pie at Thanksgiving and well maybe a couple of those cookies a customer brought in and then I begin the cycle all over again. I'm at the high point of the cycle now (or maybe you'd call it the low point?) so this is a good reason to clean house, so to speak. Moderation has always been a hard thing for me.

Today for lunch, instead of a burrito with potatoes I'll be having something more akin to an omelet (no tortilla wrap), light on cheese, with spinach, onion, tomato, and avocado. And fruit instead of a monster cookie. I'll stop by the store and pick up some almonds, apples and bananas too.

I'll start waking up earlier to make a little breakfast and enjoy it while I watch the winter birds at the feeder.

Sure wish I was starting a new diet at the beginning of summer instead of the beginning of winter....

Alan

alan gage

Quote from: alan gage on October 29, 2020, 12:36:06 PM

Today for lunch, instead of a burrito with potatoes I'll be having something more akin to an omelet (no tortilla wrap), light on cheese, with spinach, onion, tomato, and avocado. And fruit instead of a monster cookie.

Boy oh boy that lunch bag sure did feel light when I picked it up today. Tasted good though and my belly didn't even throw a fit when it didn't get its cookie. After lunch I felt full without that heavy stuffed feeling. Feel lighter on my feet.
Mid-afternoon now and my belly is starting to wise up that it got gipped. Will stuff it with some fruit when I get off work.
Alan

snobdds

I'm an actuary for a blue's plan and I study the lineage of genetics for projection purposes, among other things.  

Genetics have more of an impact on a person's heart health, even more so than diet.  

Looking at you and your stature, it would seem your healthy since your active and lean.  Nah, genetics.

There is a family here in Wyoming that you would think is on their death bed.  However, all the vitals are perfect.  They all could loose some weight, but I can almost guarantee, none of them will die from a heart related death.  

So, unfortunately, you will have to always be cognizant of your heart health.  

alan gage

I did pretty good on the diet thing for a couple weeks and then started to get real hungry (presumably once my body used up much of its reserves) so I backslid a little. Went back to my usual lunch but I cut out the worst of the sweets like the big monster cookie everyday for lunch and most sweet snacks in the evening. Started eating almonds and raisins for breakfast (and sometimes dinner when I got lazy). On the weekends I kind of let go (Saturday morning waffle and a few unhealthy snacks through the day). Still eating a lot of eggs (3-4 most days) but not as many as before. Didn't feel like a diet.

I went back in a few weeks ago to have my levels checked again (little over 3 months).  Results were that I lost 5 pounds (165) and dropped my cholesterol considerably. Doctor was very impressed. I'm suspicious of the original test that came back high as I don't really feel like I changed all that much. But I guess dropping 5 pounds means something good happened. Either way I'm happy to have good numbers. Will try to just keep doing what I've been doing until I need to do something else.

Total dropped from 250 to 187
LDL dropped from 183 to 124
HDL pretty steady from 47 to 45
Triclycerides from 102 to 82

Alan

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 28, 2020, 05:16:16 PMStay away from Statins! Big side effects.
I have been on them for many years (Simvistatin) and do a terrible job of watching my diet and my numbers have always come back good so it seems to be working for me. 

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

PoginyHill

I have a similar build and activity level as Alan. My total cholesterol has always been 220-230ish. My wife eats the same stuff as me, but has never come close to 200 (I think she hovers around 170 or lower). My doc had told me genetics and risk factors other than cholesterol are driving factors (family history, blood pressure, body mass index) for heart disease. He used a program developed by some ivy league university that predicted chance of heart disease based on risk factors. I don't recall the specific numbers, but his conclusion was something like: If you lowered your cholesterol from 230 to 200 your chance of heart disease would go from 2.3% to 2.1% - it's not worth a whole of effort to lower your cholesterol.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Old saw fixer

My PCP and Endocrinologist explained that blood sugar levels and high cholesterol are related.  I sort of gave up on watching my numbers during the bad patch we came through.
I have started checking and reacting to my blood sugar levels this week, it is an education to check 4 times a day, modify your intake and see the results.  Not fun though.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

nativewolf

Maybe the monster cookie was loaded with palm oil?  Anyway, good on you and thanks for the update.  I'm even skinnier and like sweets as well.  Lemon bars..yum.  
Liking Walnut

firefighter ontheside

Genetics.  Dad has high cholesterol.  I have a high total, but I have high HDL, so the ratio is fine.  I try to keep my breakfasts in check.  I'm one who used to not be able to gain weight no matter what I ate. In the last few years that has changed and I can put on weight in my belly.  I try to eat oatmeal and such for breakfast and not just pick up a box of doughnuts on the way to work, but like many folks, I do good for a while and then get into bad habits again.  The biggest thing I need is more cardio exercise.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Dave Shepard

Of the approximately 3.2 trillion side effects of the drugs I was on, the most alarming were that a side effect of my bp med was high bp. A side effect of my blood sugar med was high blood sugar. Two side effects of the statin I was on were, wait for it!, high blood sugar and high blood pressure! There were a bunch of other issues that have, or are in the process of resolving since I ditched all of them. 

Most of the meds I was on were the result of a dyslexic nurse who reversed the results of an A1C test and a communist doctor with a god complex who escaped a Ukrainian nut farm. The doctor was de-doctored, and the nurse now answers the phone. It's taken seven years to undo that mistake. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 02, 2021, 09:56:48 PMIn the last few years that has changed and I can put on weight in my belly.
My wife used to call it "the 40 thickening" and pointed out all the celebrities/movie stars that had that happen.  She was bummed when her favorites got "thick".
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firefighter ontheside

@ljohnsaw sounds about right, but I don't have any fans that care.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Raider Bill

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 02, 2021, 03:06:52 PM

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 28, 2020, 05:16:16 PMStay away from Statins! Big side effects.
I have been on them for many years (Simvistatin) and do a terrible job of watching my diet and my numbers have always come back good so it seems to be working for me.

Statins keep my numbers down but the price I pay in muscle and joint aches keep me from taking them.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

alan gage

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 02, 2021, 09:56:48 PM
 I'm one who used to not be able to gain weight no matter what I ate. In the last few years that has changed and I can put on weight in my belly. 
Yep, me too. Smartest thing I ever did was in my mid-20's, knowing I couldn't go on eating like that forever, having the realization that one day I was going to wake up fat if I wasn't careful.

Everyday for lunch I'd go to McDonald's and get a double quarter pound cheeseburger, super sized fries, and two apple pies. The rest of my meals weren't much better. In high school I'd get two foot longs from Subway. Still don't know how I could have eaten all that and stayed thinner than I am now. Of course back then I used to take the dog for three walks a day, thought it was fun to run (even across the parking lot) and couldn't think of anything I'd rather do on a 95 degree summer day than go to the ballpark and hit a bucket of baseballs back and forth with the dog, who would soon give up and sit in a mud puddle while I kept hitting.

Alan

Texas Ranger

I have been on Lovastatin for over 25 years with no ill effects.  Different strokes for different folks.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

have to know about side effects and monitor for them.  better than having a stroke or heart attack.  always risk vs benefit.  drugs with no side effects prob. have little or no benefit.  

Thank You Sponsors!