iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl ms 280

Started by catpower, January 15, 2015, 12:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catpower

Hi everyone I have a stihl ms 280c that floods every time I try to start it put a new plug in cleaned the filter any suggestions.
Thanks Tim

beenthere

catpower
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Can I ask "how can you tell or know it is flooding" ?  Very wet plug?

What is the history of the saw?  How long it ran just fine and what things may have changed when it failed to start?   
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Andyshine77

If you're following proper starting procedure. Set choke, pull intil you hear/feel the engine fire "sometimes it's subtle" set the lever to run and pull 2 to 4 time. If the saw doesn't start after that set the choke again and repeat the process.

Now if you already have that down, the most common cause is a stuck metering needle in the carburetor. Has the saw set for a long period?   
Andre.

catpower

Have stripped and cleaned the carby but it still floods very wet plug looks like fuel is leaking into the crankcase which would be a needle failure the saw has sat for a while this may be the problem

JohnG28

Look at the point of the inlet needle. They usually have a little circle around the point where it has worn. If you see that then it's likely leaking, and would cause this problem. If you didn't replace all the gaskets and parts in the carb you should.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, catpower.   8) 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!