iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help! Need some expertise!!

Started by wudhed, March 05, 2008, 11:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wudhed

Can anybody here tell me an approximate weight on Douglas fir timbers per bdft? I am trying to figure the weights of it for shipping purposes I need the weight of standing dead timber and fresh cut green timber. Thank you in advance for any help and knowledge you guys can offer me!

WUDHED
Proudly building quality timberframes since 1981!

Dave Shepard

There are calculators in the Toolbox(bottom of left column) that will give you weight per board foot. You can also calculate log weights, but that would be for green logs.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

wudhed

Thanks Dave, There was no doug fir on the chart though!

WUDHED

Dave Shepard

You are right, sorry about that. D fir is in the log calculator. It is 38 pounds per cubic foot, or a smidge over 3 pounds per board foot. This should be for green weight.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

logwalker

Hey Dave, how do you know it is for green? I have always used 34 lbs for dry D.Fir. I am guessing that it would be more than that. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Dave Shepard

The log calculator shows a number after the species. Example Pine, eastern white - 36. 36 is the number I have for green white pine per cubic foot from a chart I have here somewhere. I also recalled that live oak was 76 pounds per cubic foot, and that is what is listed on the calculator for live oak. I don't have a chart for dry wood per cubic foot.

Dave

Don P

logwalker

Well that is the number to use then. I have never understood the relationship between the moisture levels. It seems like losing 26% would make more of a difference. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

wudhed

Thanks guys! We normally use oak so I dont know too much about Doug Fir. I didnt realize how much lighter it was then oak! I use 6.2 lbs/bdft for oak.

Thank You Sponsors!