iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I very seldom pre-survey sawing jobs but this one was close:

Seven 8' Red Oak logs, three of which are in the 36"+ category.  Those biguns will take 3-4 hours each to saw.  :-X

I have to replace my LubeMizer pump tomorrow afternoon so depending upon the weather (rain) it may be Wednesday before I can move the sawmill to them. 

My shoulder MRI is Thursday, more rain Friday, G Grandson's Birthday Party Saturday, back to the Dr. Monday, then more rain, so this will be a hit and miss job.  I am trying to get it sawed before any shoulder surgery.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

need to schedule testing and doctor appointments when it is raining! ;) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, 'cause the doctors can't play golf then anyway. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

NotEnoughTime

I heard a morbark chipper running at the neighbors' yard around the corner, so I wandered over to take a look.  Local tree service had a crane and log truck to take down a white pine.  The bottom two 25 feet sections were mine for the asking - they were kind enough to drop it off in the front yard.  My wife was understanding enough not to mind.  (She thought the maple log off to the side was a 'big' log.) :laugh:

The base is flared at about 35" with a big hollow that extends 6 feet or more.  Diameter is bigger than my sawmill can take so I will need to quarter it anyway. The middle section is 24 inches on the big end and 22 in on the small.   Should be more than enough to make posts and beams for a sawmill shed.  Good thing the sawmill is portable.  My support equipment consists of a cant hook and manual crank winch post.

I haven't cut much pine (other than to make stickers).  The left over pieces should make plenty of stickers for next season.  Now.... where to stack the lumber...

HM130 with extended 18' trailer + boat winch, homemade log arch, oak ramps, cant hook and lots of leverage.

LeeB

Was planning on sawing today but the spot previously picked to set up the mill did not work out so We decided on an alternate spot and I set up there. Now all the logs have to be moved and the help wasn't going to be available today due to personal issues. I'll start tomorrow. The lumber will be used for refurbing a sheep barn and some other projects at the neighbors farm. I'll be doing the projects as well as the milling. Lots more projects on my work list for the man. Here is a pic of the chicken house I completed for Philip. I didn't mill the lumber for this one.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

stihlsawer

Sawed two more yesterday evening.

Trever Jones
Stihl 076 Super, 034, MS 260 PRO, MS 192T
Dolmar 116si
GB 44" lumber mill, Mini mill, Beam machine

Dogwood Heart

Went home this weekend and picked up some white pine and a maple burl. Only got the small, 25" DBH, white pine and I have to go back Feb. 8th for the two larger trees.  

I'm an alchemist, I can turn dollars into iron. Still working on the reverse.

WV Sawmiller

I had a customer call last week and wanted me to resaw some hickory for him. Seems he had cut it into approximately 2-3 inch planks with a chainsaw and wanted it cut into boards he could use for window sills and such in a cabin he is building. I told him I'd do what I could with it. He called yesterday and we scheduled today for the work. He got here with several real rough looking ash, a 6-7 inch poplar about 6' long that was split down the middle like a half sawed fence post and a 9" hickory "log" about 42" long with a big check down the center. We agreed on 1" lumber as the goal and he was going to plane it to 3/4" later. I put them on the mill and cut 1,2 and 3 boards out of one piece then cut the "log" into 5-6 short ugly boards. 

Here are the planks I cut before milling. I did not get an "after" picture as the customer took them back to the truck as soon as I'd cut one. I also did not get a picture of the hickory log or boards off it.

The customer was very happy with the results and offered to pay for a full hour sawing but I told him half hour was more than fine so he paid that and a $10 tip. I assume sawing this particular wood was mostly nostalgia as I could certainly have sold him much better looking boards out of my stock for the same or better price. He could not remember where he got my contact info and thought it was either a big hardwood mill over 25 miles away (I don't know anybody there I can think of) or from a conversation with a guy at a local gas/convenience store. At least it is good people know I am available. I suspect I'll see this guy again. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brooks1984

started my first portable sawmill job today milled 1/2 a pile of white pine. Dump truck showed up with three spruce logs before I finished the day. I think the pile may keep getting bigger before get back to mill the rest of the logs in a month from now. Sawmilling is a part-time hobby.

Magicman

Yikes Brooks, dat looks cold.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum, and thanks for the pictures.   thumbs-up

Quote from: Magicman on January 27, 2020, 07:41:03 PMI have to replace my LubeMizer pump tomorrow
I got the LubeMizer pump replaced, but found a leak in the ΒΌ" barb fitting that feeds the tube to the spray nozzles.  I have one in one of the boxes on the truck, but I will try the hardware store first.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trimguy

trimguy

I got to cut some wood this weekend, nothing exotic just some SYP but I am getting my stock up and enjoyed myself. 8) 8)

Jcald327

Finally got some time to cut again today, been making mill runs with poplar and white oak trying to get some quick cash now vs waiting for stuff to air dry and make my extra 30-40 cents for cutting.
This was for a guy who hired me to run his retail wood store, for about a week and we just didnt jive, so I gave him his key back, and bough my lucas.

About an hour of cutting and 90 bf of basically 95 percent clear lumber with the 2 top boards having the only sapwood in it.  This log was only 18 inches on the small end with 2 inches of sapwood on each side.  I only expected to make roughly 50 bf here referencing the doyle scale for heartwood diameter (~14" 8 foot log).  Definitely too much time spent trying to meet his expectations of little to no sapwood given some of the boards I've seen in his store.  Going to finish off the tree with another 6 foot log into 9/4 and a 12 and 8 footer for more 5/4.
  Going to try to quartersaw some of this for the top half the log, doing 6 inch vertical cuts with 1 inch horizontals instead or mimicking bandmill layer by layer flat sawn technique.  

Ended up with 1/4 inch "slab" I cant bring myself to throw away.

Lucas 8-27 w/ slabber
Husqvarna 395xp 32, 42 inch
Rancher 455 24 inch
Stihl 271 20 inch
Grandberg 66 alaska mill
Lowrider cnc 4x8 capacity
Logrite mega 78 and 60

Brooks1984

Quote from: Magicman on January 28, 2020, 08:08:27 PM
Yikes Brooks, dat looks cold.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum, and thanks for the pictures.   thumbs-up

Quote from: Magicman on January 27, 2020, 07:41:03 PMI have to replace my LubeMizer pump tomorrow
I got the LubeMizer pump replaced, but found a leak in the ΒΌ" barb fitting that feeds the tube to the spray nozzles.  I have one in one of the boxes on the truck, but I will try the hardware store first.

Magicman it was a nice day to mill for us in January it started out at -5Β°c and got up to -1Β°c in the afternoon. 

LeeB

Did a little sawing over at Philip's farm yesterday. Rickie had moved all the logs to the new sawing site. Mixed bag of RO, ERC, and SYP. Mostly pine. After the first pine noticed hyd fluid leaking out of the hyd box. Opened it up and found a bad hose. Had to go to the parts store in town to get another made up. Managed to saw the rest of the day afte two hours lost until the rain caught me at 4 pm. About the same time my auto clutch quit disengaging. Have to sort that one out this morning as soon as the rain lets up.

Didn't get a tally at the end of the day or more picks. 

Sawed mostly 2x6 from all of the species, and some 6x6 RO beams with a little bit of 4/4 RO and ERC.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Poquo

Cut some Red Oak for a customer yesterday . The 2 logs were 6 feet long oval shaped 36 - 44 inches . Split them in half with chainsaw then could put on the mill . 

2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Magicman

Lee, you remove your hitch when sawing or is that for theft control?

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Brooks1984 on January 28, 2020, 07:26:03 PM

started my first portable sawmill job today milled 1/2 a pile of white pine. 
Brooks,
   I love the "1/2 a pile" description. Is that like a half a mess of fish or half a mess of turnip greens where I grew up down south? :D I think in USMC supply and logistics we'd have define a pile as a "Non-definitive unit of measure." :D :D
   Welcome to the portable milling club. Keep them chips a'flyin and the pictures coming.
Howard Green

WDH

1/2 a pile is defined as a part of a whack, which is the Forestry Form Definition of a large amount of anything. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Looks like I will be sawing a small amount of nothing with this water squishing up between my toes!!!   :-X

LeeB

Quote from: Magicman on January 29, 2020, 07:47:21 AM
Lee, you remove your hitch when sawing or is that for theft control?
I haven't ever removed it before now and I have to say I should have done it before. I have no idea how many times I banged my shins on while sawing. Not removed for theft. It's safe where it's at.

Magicman

I use the fenders to build a slight "corral" around the hitch which also solves the problem of where to store them while sawing.  Inside of that corral is where I keep my bottle of ATF, etc.  No shin bumping my way but your new way is also fool proof.  smiley_thumbsup

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on January 28, 2020, 08:08:27 PM

I got the LubeMizer pump replaced, but found a leak in the ΒΌ" barb fitting that feeds the tube to the spray nozzles.  I have one in one of the boxes on the truck, but I will try the hardware store first.
I called it a "barb" fitting but the proper name is probably something else.  Anyway, I found my spare but decided to make a trip to my Industrial Supply and see what they had.

I have decided to keep my spare shown on top and use the new one that required an additional coupling.  The longer unit will make the installation a bit more "finger friendly".  It will probably be Friday before I will get everything back together but no matter because it is too wet to move the sawmill anyway.  ::)

Bruno of NH

The farm up the road dropped off 16 red oak logs.
They are making a special framed floored unit to hoist 3,300 lb oxen up to work on their feet and to put shoes on them.
8x8x14,6x6x10,4x10,4x8 and many 2x6x14.
He goes to 33 pulls a year.
One team pulled 14,000 last year.
Sorry no pictures
All sawn with a 747 broke the band on the last log.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SawyerTed

Customers are funny sometimes.  A repeat customer called and asked to get on my schedule.  This customer ran a circle mill with his father for close to 40 years.  He prefers to look at each log and tell me what he wants out of it once the log is loaded on the mill.  The first time I sawed for him, I was pretty nervous but in the end he was very pleased.  

Today I cut poplar, red oak and white oak "boards", 1x6, 2x4, 2x6 and 2x8s for him.  I've learned that he means random width 4/4 lumber when he says "boards."  If he says make 1x6 that's what he wants.  

The last time I sawed for him, I cut over 5 mbdft of pine, cedar, poplar and white oak but today when I pulled in his drive, I saw he had built a deer stand out of slabs.  It struck me as funny that he didn't use any lumber I had previously sawed for him to build the stand.  He used framing he and his father cut 20 years ago and put slabs on the outside.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!