iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gonna need help with this one

Started by woodmills1, October 29, 2008, 07:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

I have not seen the tree yet but no one at the job site can name it.  Pine like tree with weeping like limbs.  It has soft needles that come from the branches themself, and a very red heart.  I will pick up the wood tomorrow and post my description with pictures.  Thanks in advance.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DanG

I know it seems strange to get a possible answer to something like this from an old fart in Florida.  But, given that the describer ain't even seen the tree, and the details of its description are sketchy at best, I guess my guess is as good as anybody's. ;D :D

Actually, I was in Maine a few years ago, visiting a friend, and he had a tree in his yard that was much like what you describe.  I asked about it, and he said it was a "Weeping Hackmatack."  I understand that this is like some sort of a Larch-like tree.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

I am with DanG.  I think that it must be a Weeping Hackmatack ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

The needles on my Hackmatack are yellow now and dropping off.I don't remember the red heart.I'm cutting mine for fire wood.Still clearing the grown up pasture.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Japanese Larch is my guess. However, wild tamarack , or what Dang called it, is white as spruce, unless fast grown when it tends to turn red in the heart. Western larch is always reddish brown or rust brown heart. So with all that, without seeing it, I have to conclude it's a larch, species unknown. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

It turns out the next door neighbor is keeping it for firewood, but I have to go to the bank in the same town later today so I put the batteries for my camera into the charger and will drive by for a picture so we can have some real facts on this hackmatack attack
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

Tamarack, aka eastern larch, is certainly native to NH.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

I don't suppose y'all have deodar cedars up there, do you?  If the tree was down south that would be my first guess, but up in New Hampshire Larix spp. is probably a safer bet.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

It might be a previously undescribed, newly discovered species of hackmatack.  If so, we could name it Hackmatack dangit :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodmills1

ok here are some shots, and except for the wide red heart I am going with plain old hemlock.  If it is how could the tree guys miss that?

SwampDonkey

Looks like Japanese larch to me. I cut one down in the yard last spring after the dang nabbed sap suckers destroyed it.  >:(

Lanier_Lurker

That bark does not look like hemlock - and I saw a bunch of them last weekend in NE Georgia.

SwampDonkey

I see larch twigs with short shoots and larch needles attached to some of the sticks. Looks like Japanese larch  bark to. Gotta give the tree guys a little more credit I thinks. ;) :D

woodmills1

DanG

Hackmatack, did I mention hackmatack? :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

DanG I thought you made that name up till I found that nickname under Tamarack, Eastern Larch, or Larix laricina. I like Hackmatack better and that is my guess too.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

NO, he never made it up. It's a common name in some areas up here.  :) Hackmatack bark is more spruce like on small sticks and you often find a spiral twist to the trunk, not flaky like Japanese.

woodmills1

doesnt the hackmatack lose its leaves?

SwampDonkey

Yes, but not yet. They are still on trees here.

SwampDonkey

tamarack, hackmatack

Japanese larch, two split chunks (side by side) from a sap sucker killed yard tree.

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

woodmills1

Dodgy Loner

It does look a lot like a hemlock, but the needles of a hemlock come out from the twig in one plane, like a feather.  In your pictures, you can see that the needles come out from the twig in all directions.

woodmills1

still no answer and I don't have the logs.

Thank You Sponsors!