iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

B57 band wheel belt tests

Started by Bibbyman, October 25, 2012, 09:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Not all B57 belts are the same!  This test belt failed with less than 100 hours on the mill.

Some of you may know that Mary and I do a bit of field testing for Wood-Mizer from time to time.  This spring and summer we've been testing B57 belts for them.  This belt was supplied by a different brand (Not GoodYear) for testing.  In total, we ran 6 of them to death.  They died quickly – some within 50 hours.  The first set had a real soft outer surface that fluffed off within hours.  Others delaminated.  The one pictured just fractured nearly in two.  It wasn't associated with a band break or cut.

My point is,  Wood-Mizer has worked with belt manufactures to develop belts that work and give good life.  I expect we get 500 hours or more out of the GoodYear belts that Wood-Mizer has custom made for them. 

My tests are testimony that not all belts are the same.   And to Wood-Mizer's credit, they are constantly testing to find something and trying to improve their product. How else are you going to know?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Chuck White

I'm not sure, because I haven't really kept track that close, but I'd suspect that I get at least 500 hours on a set of Wood-Mizers B-57's!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Bibby, are you testing these belts around your waist or on your mill?  ;D

Seriously, this is good information you have given us. It's good to know someone from behind the scenes that are working to help better our sawing experience. You and Mary are commended for your work.

I hope WM paid you for your down time having to change belts.  :) Just kidding Jake.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 25, 2012, 05:00:34 PM

I hope WM paid you for your down time having to change belts.  :) Just kidding Jake.

The good folks at Wood-Mizer have always came through for us so it's only fitting that we lend a hand when we can. I don't think we're close to getting them paid up.

We're starting to test a belt of a different manufacture. They look much the same as the Goodyear belt but feel more flexible.
Sawing since '94

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Bib, when belts are being tested, are lubes and their affects considered?

I had someone from WM tell me they have experienced a "mushiness" develop in the belts due to using diesel.
I only use diesel as a spray to clean my blade when other mixtures tend to only work somewhat.
I DO NOT use a lot of diesel and my GY B57s seem to be "top of the line".

But I was just wondering if lubes are considered when testing.

Thanks Bib and Mary.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

We've only used soap and water so far.  When it gets colder, we'll add windshield washer mix to prevent freezing.

As Wood-Mizer does not recommend using petroleum products, we don't use it and never felt the need. 

That's the long answer.  The short answer is no.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

Sounds like the early quitters were made overseas,alot of the belts now are  from china.When I built my bandmill 10 or so years ago I put tight Gates belts on and their still in fine shape,I use diesel/oil mix but not much.When I ran the LT-70 with loose belts we had to replace the belts more often,broken bands would tear them up.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I've used Auto Parts Store belts in a pinch (broken blade took out a belt), but at the same time, I had a couple sets of belts on order from WM.

I've found that the Auto Parts belt will last a while, but they won't last like the WM belts!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

bought Goodyear b57s at a local auto store in a pinch were about the same price as wm and have made in Mexico on them.
In the mean time i was shut down for about a week and got new WM belts so haven't used the locally purchased ones yet.
Don't know if they are the same spec as WM. haven't checked the WM belts for  point of manufacture yet.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Kansas

We used to use B57 from Napa. Now we use them from Carquest. The sawyers really can't tell the difference. Seems like every once in a while, a blade breaks, and slices the belt. On those occasions it doesn't happen, they start to flatten out a bit. They will often times switch belts from one wheel to the other. We always keep a set on hand, and they can get them the next day when we order. As far as how long they last? That is all over the place. If they get sliced, that is it. If not, I would guess 3 or 4 months running it every day. We do it for convenience. And we do run diesel for lube when need be.

I will say this. At one time we did the B56, and went Goodyear because they were slightly easier to get on. They lasted way longer. We quit because it was so much easier to put on the 57's. We spent more time getting them on by a bunch. When you have a couple of guys fighting getting them on for a half hour or more, its more profitable to have the mill running, and replace the belts more often.

Chuck White

Quote from: Kansas on October 28, 2012, 10:20:57 AM
We used to use B57 from Napa. Now we use them from Carquest. The sawyers really can't tell the difference. Seems like every once in a while, a blade breaks, and slices the belt. On those occasions it doesn't happen, they start to flatten out a bit. They will often times switch belts from one wheel to the other. We always keep a set on hand, and they can get them the next day when we order. As far as how long they last? That is all over the place. If they get sliced, that is it. If not, I would guess 3 or 4 months running it every day. We do it for convenience. And we do run diesel for lube when need be.

I will say this. At one time we did the B56, and went Goodyear because they were slightly easier to get on. They lasted way longer. We quit because it was so much easier to put on the 57's. We spent more time getting them on by a bunch. When you have a couple of guys fighting getting them on for a half hour or more, its more profitable to have the mill running, and replace the belts more often.

Good idea, switching the belts around.

WM recommends alternating the belts @ 50 hours to extend belt life!

Bibbyman

Quote from: Kansas on October 28, 2012, 10:20:57 AM
We used to use B57 from Napa. Now we use them from Carquest. The sawyers really can't tell the difference.

Do you recall the brand name of the belts you're getting from Carquest?  Have you made any kind of test to see if one works better than another?

There are other mill companies that use other brands and types of belts.  Anyone have experiance with other brands and types of belts?
Sawing since '94

kantuckid

Thread revival- I am a low volume, non-commercial sawyer on my stationary LT15 WM mill.
Other than brushing them off I've been running these OE WM wheel belts a long time and still seem to do the job too.
Maybe it's time to change them out?
Has anyone tried Thermoid B57 V-belts as wheel belts on WM? Made in USA and widely sold, Amazon has em for less than $6 ea.

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Southside

I am not one who is beholden to a brand name by any means, so I tried some "cheaper" belts once thinking I was smarter than the average bear and saved a buck or two, they didn't last but a couple of weeks and this was when I was sawing part time.  You throw one band off of your mill due to belts deforming or otherwise not acting as they should and your savings just became a $30 loss.  

Ironic timing, just this morning got the shipping e-mail from Wood-mizer that the belts I ordered for my Super 70 should be here today, $50 ish bucks total, and they will last 30,000 BF or more, so I have $1.70 / thousand board feet of lumber into belts, not worth the time to google an alternative at that cost. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kantuckid

Not to argue belts but they are all made by somebody besides the sawmill mfg., or the car people, etc., etc.. I'm not out to mistrust WM, or second guess them, so on, just a basic parts question here.
I bought a new water jug recently for my mill on Amazon. it made in Canada, plastic thats far heavier than WM's version and cost lots less. I suspect it will be more UV resistant too! The cap center threads match the WM valve and the jug holds more as well. Whats not to like about longer lasting and less money?
Yes, it's true mfg.'s do often set specs on parts but they also are widely known to shop for price points too.
I recently bought a rear luggage compartment floor protector from Ford MoCo, sight unseen and found what was a fairly expensive part to be something like you'd throw away, etc.. The parts pendulum swings both ways from my experience.

Back to asking "has anyone tried Thermoid belts"?, Thanks
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

PAmizerman

I've only used belts from WM.
It never seems to fail though. I'll put new belts on and then snap a band and tear it up. 
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

SawyerTed

To me there's little reason to complicate replacement belts or second guess it.  At $13.95 each the WM belts are priced right, they are durable and ordering is easy.  My first set of belts got damaged by blades that I knocked off the wheels.  When I ordered blades I ordered two sets of belts, they shipped in the blade box.  I called one day and they were here the next.  I can't drive to town and purchase any better belts at a better price.  I'm sure that in a bind autoparts store belts will work well enough to get a job done.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

ladylake

(I'll put new belts on and then snap a band and tear it up.)

Some on here act like that never happens.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jb616

I honestly think the belts are original on my 1984 LT 30 :D but I intend to change them out when I fire it back up in the spring. Thanks for the tip. 

Thank You Sponsors!