iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Use for 8-10" Dia. SYP logs

Started by grweldon, July 18, 2013, 01:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

I'm in the process of clearing a few acres for a short runway from which I'm going to fly my ultralight.  I have quite a few yellow pines that aren't quite large enough to mill lumber from, but could possibly get a small post from, maybe a 4x4 or 5x5, possibly a 6x6 from the largest of them.

I'm going to be building some sheds but was planning on using treated posts from the lumber yard buried directly in the ground.  I could change the method and pour footing that extend above the ground (no frost line per se) and bolt the post to embedded brackets.

I'm wondering if it's really worth the time and effort to buck these trees and drag them to the mill versus dragging them to the burn pile whole.  It's such a shame to burn them, but I've always figured they would be way more trouble than they are worth to mill them in to something useable.  I have just a little experience sawing and I'd appreciate hearing the opinions of others who have been doing this for a while...

Thanks!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

D L Bahler

You could give them to me  ;D

Depending on what you you do, these can be great logs.

For example, I could make me a very nice log built structure with a collection of yellow pine of this size.

Or I could be me a nice Swiss-style timber frame, where pretty much everything is in the 4 to 6 inch range.

Yellow pine is great for framing.

Actually I may even be interested in buying these off of you, if the price is right. I'm looking at acquiring some pine for a frame I hope to start next month.

grweldon

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

DR Buck

I make a lot of 2x4s and 2x6s out of  smaller Virginia Pine.  Its also a yellow pine.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

mesquite buckeye

When we started thinning our doghair thickets in Missouri, we saved the best and straightest sapling/poles. When we went back 10 or so years later, we had lots of stuff in the 7-11" dbh range. We were able to cut 4 X 4, up to 6 X 6 timbers to save for future construction projects or to sell. If the trees are straight, they are quite usable.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Piston

I'd hate to see all those logs burned when they could be used for something else.  If you burn them, please don't admit it  ;D

It would be neat to see a picture of your ultralight.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

WDH

You absolutely cannot find un-treated 4x4's and 6x6's around here.  Cut the posts and advertise them for sale on Craigslist. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

grweldon

grweldon

Realized that as soon as I did it Jim.  You are right on top of things. Barely 3 minutes after I posted!

ChrisGermany

If I had my trailer, I'd be more than willing to buy those. Perfect for a log shed I've been looking to build. Peeled and under good eaves, those'll last a while, even in our muggy climate.
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

Piston

Thanks for the pic.  That's pretty cool.  I've always thought it would be so neat to take a ride in one of those...of course, I'm picturing a two seater  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

craigc

I have 4" to 10" white and red pine to sell if anyone is interested.  It can be bucked to your length.
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

Thank You Sponsors!