iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid Steer

Started by Magicman, December 04, 2015, 09:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North River Energy

Lucky guess. :D

Weight on the 873 is around 6800, the grapple bucket is probably close to 900, and then maybe another 500 for the tracks. A suitable trailer is close to 2500+, all of which puts you at or over the 10k limit for non-commercial hauling. Add another bucket/attachment, and you'll be juggling metal to stay legal.

A machine in that class will get a lot of work done, but there's no free lunch, so to speak.

RBill,
I have no actual experience with OTTracks, but from what I read, they're better than just tires, but not nearly as good as an actual track undercarriage.

tmarch

Personally I use a Bobcat Toolcat a LOT and it's been a great machine for getting things done on our place.  Easier to get in and out of and a side by side so 2 can go.  My dump bed is so full of tools I have a time finding them, but they are there.  Oh and it does handle most logs I want on my manual mill. ;)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

4x4American

On the OTT tracks, if you think about it, the weight is still distributed about the same as a regular tire unit.
Boy, back in my day..

slider

All i can saw is that when i saw Miss Pat on that skid steer at Willies i knew that it was just a matter of time before mm had to step up to the plate.I speak from experience.

Happy wife is a good thing.
al glenn

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: 4x4American on December 09, 2015, 07:15:46 PM
On the OTT tracks, if you think about it, the weight is still distributed about the same as a regular tire unit.

Tis true BUT you dont get 2 holes that make it tough to maneuver. Not as good as a dedicated track unit but not a bad compromise.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

barbender

OTT are a big help in traction, and stability- that extra weight on the ground is very noticeable. They don't give you much flotation, at least not compared to a dedicated rubber track UC. They also tear up the ground really bad! I often use that to my advantage, when I am regrading a site I will pile up the topsoil and spin around on it a bit. It tears it up like a tiller, then you can lay it out without large clods of sod ruining your day ;)
Too many irons in the fire

North River Energy

QuoteThey also tear up the ground really bad! I often use that to my advantage, when I am regrading a site I will pile up the topsoil and spin around on it a bit. It tears it up like a tiller

That reminds me of the time the GF used the Bombardier SW48 to till a patch for the tomato plants. :laugh:

Bandmill Bandit

there are quite a few options on OTTs. including but not limited to rubber.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=over+the+tire+bobcat+tracks&espv=2&biw=1196&bih=821&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJ2tvRldLJAhVBR2MKHReQA5UQsAQIPg

I have been on a couple wit hthe rubber ones as well and they work pretty well. not sure about expected life but I think they are nicer to work with than the steal ones.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Raider Bill

I see wheeled Bob Cats for sale but they don't work in my red clay woods well. Figured if the tracks worked I might keep my eye out a little better.
Are the Tracks hard on tires?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

North River Energy

RaiderB,
These are results for the search 'over the tire tracks' on HEF.  Probably a lot of good info if you have the time to paw through it.
http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/search.php?searchid=6161167

Bert

I have a CL find late 80's ford. Its rated for 2700 lbs and has 3000 hrs. It was hands down the best purchase I ever made. Nothing can do so much with for so little money invested. Its not fancy but does whatever you ask of it.
Saw you tomorrow!

Bandmill Bandit

I have heard a few guys say that you need tracks that clear them selves well to reduce tire wear but I can speak to that from experiance.

I do know one owner that has a rubber set that he likes. says tire wear is not a real issue any more than the tires running with out the tracks.

ST Ranch

Lynn
Called a SKID steer for a reason - they tear up the ground where you are working! - maybe less with tracks - never used them myself.
I have a bobcat 873, same as you used at Willy's with a heavy commercial log grapple, set of pallet forks and digging bucket. I have electric hand controls and cab heat.
likes - good lift and great to manouver in tight areas [ mine will lift max of 4000# if careful], OK in dirt work, but stalls out easy and underpowered on hilly terrain[ie -digging out a basement or deep hole]. Lots of rental attachments  good for small wood handling - posts and rails, small stud logs etc
dislikes - very hard on fuel [duetz engine], very hard to enter/exit and rough ride - limited function vs a 4WD tractor with loader, mine takes 1 ton diesel to pull and commercail lic as well, chews up the ground where used, BIG PITA to work on mechanically, parts very expensive

Having said that - agree with others re try renting, if not and want to buy I know the Case 1845 is used by guys for log handling with good success and reasonable repairs - cummins diesel in them is a good motor. I would not recommend a bobcat brand, I bought mine cuz of price-Bobcat had a sale in 2003, and overpaid me for my trade.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

711ac

Quote from: North River Energy on December 09, 2015, 03:36:57 PM
I have no actual experience with OTTracks, but from what I read, they're better than just tires, but not nearly as good as an actual track undercarriage.

In the woods & hills, OTT's (over the tire tracks) will run circles around the rubber track machines in terms of pure traction. They do provide additional flotation but nothing compared to rubber tracks.

4x4American

When we work steep ground with our Komatsu CK30 it really impresses the heck outta me.  I don't see how OTT mochine could beat it, but I've been wrong before!
Boy, back in my day..

barbender

I've ran both types in all kinds of terrain. Steel OTT give you more traction in areas where there is decent traction to begin with. If you get in anything greasy, your tires begin to spin inside the tracks. In soft sand, they sink. Really, I think the dedicated rubber track UC is hands down better in every way except cost.
Too many irons in the fire

jdonovan

have a big NH l190 with steel OTT. Huge difference in traction with them on.

Still have a love-hate relationship with it. Getting in/out is a pain for me. If I have a job thats get in, work for 4 hours get out, its not bad. If I'm doing something thats run for 10 min get out, adjust something, unhook something, get in, repeat... it sucks.

For a small machine, nothing digs dirt, levels, smooths, loads like it. BUT

If digging isn't one of your main needs, I'd give very serious looks to a compact wheel loader. Many have SS-QA interface for atachements, aux hydraulics etc... They are way easier to get on/off, and other than the digging I think for my needs would replace a skid steer nicely.

Thank You Sponsors!